Author Topic: The Koolhoven F.K. 42 Mk II - A Dutch Treat in Spanish Republican Service  (Read 2620 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash

Koolhoven is a Dutch aircraft maker known for many inter-war types.

Perhaps the least known of these was the Koolhoven F.K. 42:

Even more ignominious was an aircraft it spawned, the Koolhoven F.K. 42 Mk. II fighter-trainer.

Powered by a 12 cylinder Cirrus Hermes II inverted V inline engine, the high-winged monoplane was fast for the time which gave pilot cadets a good entrée to the much more speedy and powerful aircraft coming into service in the late 1930's.

Never produced in large numbers, the F.K. 42 Mk. II would serve as un-armed advanced Koninklijke Luchtmacht trainers based near Ede for only six weeks before being clandestinely shipped to the Spanish Republic after two were lost in crashes.

These 12 aircraft were sent on three ships, two of which were sunk by the Nationalists sending their cargo of eight Koolhovens, miscellaneous wooden clogs and cocoa to the bottom of the Bay of Biscay.

The four surviving F.K. 42 Mk IIs were used by the Republican air force as trainers in the fighter school at Carmoli where the type became affectionately known as the "Dutch Treat" due to its docile handling characteristics.

The Koolhoven "Dutch Treats" were beloved by trainee pilots and ground crew alike, the latter who greatly appreciated the practical Dutch design sense which made the aircraft simple to maintain.

All of the F.K. 42 Mk. IIs were lost either in accidents or due to attrition from lack of spares and none survived to see the end of hostilities.

To this day, the paucity of documentary evidence for the type makes the so-called "experts" deny it ever existed and they insist the "Dutch Treats" must be the product of too much Dutch Courage.

Still, for one brief, shining moment a few Spanish trainee pilots got to enjoy a bit of a treat courtesy of Koolhoven.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 05:36:47 PM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
This all started over a decade ago when a friend sent me a fistful of vacuform kits with the only condition being that I build them. During a chat with another friend (hello, Bill!) it turned out that we both have the same vac bomber kit mocking us from the pile. Hoping to one day build mine as a credible compliment to his, I figured I needed to up my vac game as I hadn't built one in ages. So I started with the worst looking one in the pile, an almost formless blob one is supposed to magically transform into a PZL P.7, I think.

Since my plans had been derailed by the Dept. of Transportation

I figured it was a great time to get started. So after an afternoon I had some parts to work with.

There was no way I was dealing with the most challenging aspects of this kit, the gull wings, engine/cowl, prop, landing gear & assorted struts.
Some replacement parts filled in.

I have no idea where that wing center section came from but the engine is from a 1/72 Airfix H.P. 0/400.

Funny, all the struts I was going to use came from that old Airfix classic too. The canopy is from a Monogram P-36 and the tailwheel was swiped from a P-40. I think the prop came from a Zero.

Travel warnings lifted, life got busy again and it would take me a few days to get to this:

I used plastic drinking straws cut to fit as upper and lower scoops to hide notches and holes in the engine and make it blend in to the fuselage better.

That lovely streamlined landing gear was from a 1/72 Monogram Curtiss F11C Goshawk.

Here's how it all looked before the canopy was added and the paint was on.

Speaking of paint, the old hairy stick was loaded up with acrylics, Polly Scale WarPac "Gray" mostly.

Polly Scale Light Blue was used under the wings & horiz stabs.

The canopy was tinted on the inside with Model Masters Insignia Blue. Model Masters Flat Black was used on the tires and Aluminum on the prop blades.

The Spanish Republican markings were done with a custom red mix, Model Masters Insignia Yellow and Polly Scale PA RR Maroon.

1/200 scale airline window decals were used for the exhaust ports. The fuselage codes came from spares.

It took me only a few days to build this, spread over a couple of weeks because things have been hectic. Before I forget, here's the "money shot" (U.S. penny for scale):

Even thought it was a bit challenging, I had a fun scraping the rust off my vac skills.

I hope you enjoyed the Koolhoven F.K. 42 Mk. II and reading a little more forgotten aircraft history.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 06:52:23 AM by Brian da Basher »

Online FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
Excellent as usual Mr DaBasher  8) 8) 8)
Koolhaven were quite advanced in some respects;
The F.K.58 fighter;   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koolhoven_F.K.58
The F.K.55 advanced concept fighter;   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koolhoven_F.K.55   I actually thought when I read your title that you'd bits of this design.
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Marvelous rehabilitation of vacuform skills.  At least it IS styrene plastic.
A kit-basher's buffet of parts in this beauty blended to flowing perfection and character.  :-*
Given is vacuform based am quite impressed with results.  Has me thinking more favorably of trying vacuform build.
You and rest of BTS have fine eyes for color schemes. :smiley:    I hope to catch up with the pack.
Koolhoven F.K. 42 Mk II has interesting background.  Bummed to learn eight were lost at sea.  :(

Caution:  With its plastic straw content do not take model to California or within Seattle city limits.  Risks being seized by authorities.

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
very cool

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
Another tour de force in plastic surgery!

Nice looking plane Brian and vac form to boot.

I have quite a few vac forms waiting in the loft, I need to pluck up courage to try one. My one and only attempt at a vac form many years ago was decidedly iffy.

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
That's a great job with the vacuform and the engine front looks suitably angry and aggressive. Good backstory, too.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Excellent subject in the F.K.41  :smiley:  I love the latter Koolhoven stuff :-*  ... and you have indeed found a rariety!

... an almost formless blob one is supposed to magically transform into a PZL P.7, I think. ...

The 3-bladed propeller and cockpit shape suggest a PZL P.24. Far better that this vac kit be sacrificed upon the Koolhoven alter  :smiley:

ˇNo pasarán! or ˇTierra y Libertad!
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."