Author Topic: 1/72 Sikorsky SK-5 PACV. Brown water noise maker.  (Read 4975 times)

Offline uncle les

• Aussie Whiffer Extraordinaire!
  • The man behind the models of the same name...
1/72 Sikorsky SK-5 PACV. Brown water noise maker.
« on: April 12, 2020, 10:34:26 PM »
Patrol Air Cushioned Vehicle, fancy acronym for an American version of a Saunders Roe Hovercraft.  The SRN-5 was built under licence by SIkorsky as the SK-5 with three being used by the US Navy and 3 by the US Army operationally in Vietnam during the late '60s.  The two services had distinct versions and the one I've chosen to model is the Army version. This project was built specifically to be a wargaming item for my friends in the 20mm wargaming world, so there's some compromises made between accuracy and practicality.
I started with some drawings and made up some 3D renderings.

Then I printed up some rough cuts:

Step forward to after the proprietary casting process and we're detailing an example

I experimented a little wit the windows on these two...   still not happy

Yeah that'll do for starters.
and as soon as I put them on facebook they sold for many dollars.  So that covers the material and time put in so far.

Since these were done I've rejigged the mould and am producing the model with an open cockpit and a vacform canopy/cabin roof..   I think it'll work a bit better.  I might make up one as a proper model and it might, just might make an appearance next year when ModelExpo returns.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: 1/72 Sikorsky SK-5 PACV. Brown water noise maker.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 04:07:31 AM »
Looking good.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 04:15:51 AM »
@Uncle Les - all of that underside surface area could be put to use in turning the PACV in to a refrigerator door ornament with a magnet on the bottom :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 10:29:09 AM »
I never thought that I'd describe a hovercraft as 'cute'. But ...  ;D

As it happens, a hour ago I watched CCGH Moytel assisting a sailboat just offshore. She's a 70-ton Griffon Hoverwork's AP1-88. Interesting to see how the technology has changed in half a century  :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 01:47:07 PM »
very nice