Author Topic: Велкин (or Welkin)  (Read 2621 times)

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
Велкин (or Welkin)
« on: March 13, 2017, 09:09:22 PM »
As we all know, the American U2 spyplane was not popular with a number of other countries, least of all possibly, Russia and the soviets.
Russia decided something must be done about it, and so the MiG agency was given the task of building a high altitude fighter to be known as the Велкин, which means sky or heaven, and was the name of a Westland project in WW2, that in the end was not needed.

Taking the MiG 19 as a base for quick results, a much longer span wing was designed and fitted, and at the last minute, provision for the soon to be, AA2 Atoll, a sidewinder copy.  Even though Gary powers was already making an unplanned decent, the missile batteries thought that MiG 19 aircraft launched to intercept were more sky pirate spies. They managed to bring down one of their own aircraft by mistake. What was never released was the fact that this was an early production Welkin, at more than 63,000 feet.

The Велкин had 1x 23mm and 1 x 37mm cannon under the nose, MiG 17 style, saving weight and due to the wing not being suitable for the standard MiG 19 fit at the wing root.
As well as the longer wing, the tail was rebuilt to give better effect and less drag at high altitude, the rear wings re-angled and the engines tweaked to work best above 45,000 ft.
The first seven built had only the guns fit, the next fourteen had fitments to carry the AA2 but only innoperative training rounds for show, the real thing still being a few years away.
The last twenty were fully wired and eventually got the missile fit but by then the SAM had more than proved that it could deal with the U2, (and therefore very likely the U3, as recently revealed by Brian de Basher).

Military ceiling was 67,700 ft officially, although we have no proof. Top speed at altitude was mach 1.2 and range was similar to the original. The wing could carry standard MiG 19 drop tanks but, as the drag and weight slowed the climb rate considerably, these were used generally for ferry and patrol purposes only, and not for operational scrambles.
There is no record of or claim of a kill my the  Велкин.

Ironically, the Welkin's were, by 1967, being used as target drones for the SAM batteries to shoot at, and by 1971 none were left intact.

If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Велкин (or Welkin)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 10:33:18 PM »
Great concept & build! :) :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 11:03:47 PM »
Very interesting concept, nicely executed.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 02:41:58 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 03:45:35 AM »
nice!  Airliner wings?

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 04:25:18 AM »
Thanks for the good words (& smilies) folks, actually Acree, 1/72 MiG 19 body & rear wings, thing from spares box for tail fin and, last but most importantly, 1/288 scale C5A Galaxy wings!   I mean, what else could I do with them?  ;)
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 05:18:23 PM »
That's a crackerjack build, Mr Flyer!

Love those long wings! I bet this baby would soar!

Great stuff!

Brian da Basher