Author Topic: Eyeshadow for models...  (Read 4280 times)

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
Eyeshadow for models...
« on: October 21, 2012, 05:28:46 AM »
Well, not exactly.

I picked up on an impulse a package of "Tamiya Weathering Master"... stuff. Not sure what to call it, but the packaging format and applicator are not something I've never seen before. :P I got the one with burnt blue, burnt red and oil stain, figuring the first two might be good for getting that distinctive colouring to jet exhausts.

Anybody ever use this stuff? Any special tricks to getting it looking good?

(Now that has me wondering as to whether or not regular cheap-o eyeshadow might not be useful for weathering...)
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Re: Eyeshadow for models...
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 07:08:48 AM »

(Now that has me wondering as to whether or not regular cheap-o eyeshadow might not be useful for weathering...)

I've used the various Tamiya weathering sets quite a few times- it's easy to control the application (the sponge works best for intense color, the brush more for adding a highlight). It's basically a pigment with a glue binder to make it stick to a surface... just like eye shadow. I'm convinced that's all it is.

Next time I go to the drug store I'll ask my wife to pick some up because, you know, girly stuff has cooties and it wouldn't look manly to pick up some eyeshadow or a fake nail repair kit (which is a fantastic - but stinky - styrene friendly acrylic plastic).

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 07:21:47 AM »
Some time ago I caught my wife using one of my sanding sticks that I had only a few days before bought at the hobby store, when I confronted her about it she came right back at me and said it was one of hers.  She then produced a whole pack of them which were about 3 bucks I think, I had just paid something like $4 for mine (and only one too) but they were identical  ----

Since then I've always gone to the drug store and bought those ones.  Another is a nail polisher which has four sides with different grits on each side, the very fine grit really does a good job on canopies.

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
  • Lost but now foun .... nope - still lost!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 07:52:50 AM »

I've used the various Tamiya weathering sets quite a few times- it's easy to control the application (the sponge works best for intense color, the brush more for adding a highlight). It's basically a pigment with a glue binder to make it stick to a surface... just like eye shadow. I'm convinced that's all it is.

Next time I go to the drug store I'll ask my wife to pick some up because, you know, girly stuff has cooties and it wouldn't look manly to pick up some eyeshadow or a fake nail repair kit (which is a fantastic - but stinky - styrene friendly acrylic plastic).

Although I don't know exactly what's in it, the reviews I've read of the Tamiya stuff are all pretty positive.  I'd be hesitant about using actual eyeshadow though, depsite the enormous colour range .... it's got moisturising additives and things added which might not be stable under varnish or on some paints.

However if some bold soul was to test eyeshadow and report back ...... we might be the first to unlock a little modelling secret  :icon_ninja:

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 09:52:14 AM »
Well then: next time I'm out shopping I'll pick some cheap eyeshadow up and do some testing, and shall report back with results.
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 05:03:18 PM »

Although I don't know exactly what's in it, the reviews I've read of the Tamiya stuff are all pretty positive.  I'd be hesitant about using actual eyeshadow though, depsite the enormous colour range .... it's got moisturising additives and things added which might not be stable under varnish or on some paints.

However if some bold soul was to test eyeshadow and report back ...... we might be the first to unlock a little modelling secret  :icon_ninja:

PR19-Kit has often mentioned he's used eyeshadow on kits.  Talk to him, is what I'd suggest. 

I use pastel chalks, ground on a bit of sandpaper and applied with a brush for dry dust/sand effects and if you want flowing effects like rust, etc., applied with a slightly wet brush.  It then "flows" into position, just like the real stuff.