Modelling > Tips, Tools & Techniques

Will portable airbrushes take over? I think so.

(1/2) > >>

The Rat:
I haven't used an airbrush since my old Badger, bought about 50 years ago, bit the dust, and it was the ultra-cheap bottle type, not gravity feed, which hooked up to a can of compressed air. Only good for spraying large swaths of paint, and even doing that poorly. But I've been looking around, and I'm seeing the portable ones becoming more popular.

They're not as good as a regular one yet, but as with many things in this world, they are getting better, and will no doubt continue to do so. And I firmly believe that in a few years large compressers will be up for sale on ebay or similar sites, as people transition.

Here's one video I watched today that shows the present state of the art, and I was impressed: Autolock Portable Airbrush

ed-note - fixed the URL - frank3K

Jeffry Fontaine:
Nice and affordable in addition to being "portable" which might be a good advantage in getting rid of the cumbersome hose. 

Frank3k:
That was a good review. I ended up ordering one, despite having a nice airbrush setup.

Jeffry Fontaine:

--- Quote from: Frank3k on March 12, 2023, 01:14:23 AM ---That was a good review. I ended up ordering one, despite having a nice airbrush setup.
--- End quote ---
I was even more impressed to see the reviewer demonstrate the ease of use and ability to use other airbrushes with the handheld compressor.  Definitely a win for the modeler in expanding on your airbrushing capabilities.  There was another airbrush offered at Amazon.com that included an airhose but also about $20.00 more than the other one that was reviewed. 

Frank3k:

--- Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on March 12, 2023, 02:47:29 AM ---
--- Quote from: Frank3k on March 12, 2023, 01:14:23 AM ---That was a good review. I ended up ordering one, despite having a nice airbrush setup.
--- End quote ---
I was even more impressed to see the reviewer demonstrate the ease of use and ability to use other airbrushes with the handheld compressor.  Definitely a win for the modeler in expanding on your airbrushing capabilities.  There was another airbrush offered at Amazon.com that included an airhose but also about $20.00 more than the other one that was reviewed.

--- End quote ---

I ordered the reviewed airbrush and there was a discount (on top of the existing discount) if you ordered another item from the same vendor. They had a 6' air hose that should work.

I can see using this on the bench for small airbrushing jobs where I don't need the full setup. It should also work well for "sandblasting" 3D prints with baking soda (in a container, of course)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version