Author Topic: Challenge 142 1/350 scale  (Read 2391 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Challenge 142 1/350 scale
« on: June 29, 2015, 10:18:08 AM »
Wow, I finished three models in one weekend!

This is Challenge 142, the ship from "It! The Terror from Beyond Space"
It's from Larson Designs, who now owns the old. Lunar Models resin and vacuform kits.
The ship design originated with Chesley Bonestell's design for the "Luna", for "Destination Moon", but a different ship design was used in the movie. It was used in "Flight to Mars" and finally, in "It! The Terror from Beyond Space"

The Bonestell "Luna" and the version in "Flight to Mars" were designed to be 140ft/42.7m long. In "It!" The Challenge 142 was "rescaled" to be twice the size. So this model built as the Challenge 142 would be in 1/350 scale. As the "Luna" or "Mars-1" it would be 1/175 scale.

I added the many airlocks the two windows and the control surfaces, using the drawings in "The Spaceship Handbook" to draw the decals. The kit was an OK build; clearly a garage kit, it required some cleanup.

I see from the screen grab below that I missed one set of airlocks:

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
  • trainee plastic surgeon
Re: Challenge 142 1/350 scale
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 02:12:26 PM »
My my, you have been productive! Very cool. Kinda reminds me of a larva lamp without the larva
Very much the type design of that period isn't it?
Still, it has such a nice flow to it, unlike some of today's designs. Great stuff
2 Reasons why a model is better than a wife:
1) A model doesn't get jealous when you look at another model
2) A model doesn't yell at you for spending money on another model

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
Re: Challenge 142 1/350 scale
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 04:47:01 AM »
 Nicely executed. Y'know, I've never seen the movie? I'll have to see if its on youtube. ( I finally got to see Devil Girl from Mars that way...)