Author Topic: A Build I Am Glad To See The Back Of...Eduard 1/48 Lysander  (Read 2483 times)

Offline Aeroplanedriver

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
So lets just start by saying I remember one of my very first kits way back c.1977 being a Matchbox Lysander, and I've loved the aircraft ever since.  Now that I build almost exclusively 1/48 it was only a matter of time before I sprung for Eduard's Lysander Mk.III Profipack. 

In the box the kit looks nice enough with a few bits of resin and some nice PE, mostly for the cockpit.  With a fairly low parts count (most parts seem to go in the cockpit), I decided to give it a shot about a week ago. 

A few days later I was ready to chuck the damned thing in the bin.  It really is not a great kit.  The are zero alignment pins anywhere on the kit.  And while detail is nice, especially in the cockpit, but it just wanted to fight me at every step.  Once it came time to fit the 5-piece greenhouse canopy/windshield affair and the associated wing carry through I decided it was time to pack it back up and find a less stressful hobby. 

But after a few days at the coast I decided to power on through and see what I could do with it without putting in too much frustration.  So here she is. 

Kit decals for a 161 Sqn machine in 1942 were used, because I like the SOE machines, but didn't want to do the all over black scheme also included.   I masked the grey/green with Silly Putty for a hard edge and if I'd been in a better mood with it would have done the same for the black, but the example hanging in the main hall at the Smithsonian Udvar Hazy Air and Space Museum Annex seems to have a softer edge on the black, so masking was skipped and I freehanded it.  It's not my best build ever but I am glad I followed through and now have a good "4-footer" of one of my favorite WW2 aircraft on the shelf. 

« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 02:01:04 PM by Aeroplanedriver »

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
Re: A Build I Am Glad To See The Back Of...Eduard 1/48 Lysander
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 05:28:31 PM »
Well certainly appears to be worth the effort to my eyes :)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 10:26:11 PM »

Absolutely! :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 10:55:06 PM »
Being able to get a stubborn kit like this into a very presentable model is all credit to your skills Nick ---  :) :) :)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 11:23:02 PM »
The results are definitely worth the pain and effort! What paint did you use? Did you do pre-shading or is the subtle shading on the wings part of the plastic?

Offline Aeroplanedriver

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 12:43:49 AM »
The results are definitely worth the pain and effort! What paint did you use? Did you do pre-shading or is the subtle shading on the wings part of the plastic?

The paints are all acrylic.  Grey and green are Vallejo Model Air, and the black is Hataka. I did preshade, but most of the effect on the wing is from a watercolor wash after.   

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 01:17:22 AM »
Nice and subtle effect! Did you use generic watercolors? I've thought of trying post-shading with watercolor pencils.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 02:32:44 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 05:03:13 AM »

Concur! And with Frank's comment about subtle weathering effect  :)
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Aeroplanedriver

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 08:04:25 AM »
Nice and subtle effect! Did you use generic watercolors? I've thought of trying post-shading with watercolor pencils.

I got a couple of cheap tubes of watercolor a few years ago, they last forever.   My normal wash is just a little paint, water, and a drop of dish soap.