Author Topic: SketchUp 3D Model - Diamond Pattern Tread Plate  (Read 4349 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
SketchUp 3D Model - Diamond Pattern Tread Plate
« on: August 15, 2012, 01:59:53 PM »
I have finally finished another SketchUp 3D model project.  This time it is a 3D model of what most folks would recognize as a diamond pattern tread plate.  You see it in factories, aboard ships, and covering the floors of some armored vehicles.  I decided to give it a try and I am quite pleased with the results.  I had started this one last year and had to set it aside because it was starting to drive me crazy because of the need to focus on the small details in the model.  While it looks simple enough each of the faceted diamond shapes were the end result of creating one master and then cloning it to create a basic "X" pattern which was then cloned again many more times until it filled a 48.0" X 96.0" rectangle.  The individual diamond shapes along the edge of the rectangle had to be clipped which was easy enough to accomplish on one and then cloning it again but it did require a lot of patience and I think that was where I left off last year before taking it up again this evening to change it once again but this time with the X pattern centered inside of the rectangle.  The subsequent cloning efforts resulted in overlap along the edges which is where the meticulous effort were required to trim the individual diamond features along the edges of the rectangle to give it some depth and content.  The thickness of the plate is 0.375" and I am glad it is done.  It certainly looks better than some paint on textures that come with SketchUp.  If someone were adventurous they could actually print this out as a 3D object in any scale desired. 

Click on html or image to view the other three images in this FB album. 

If you wish to download the 3D model it can be found at this link: ------> Diamond Pattern Tread Plate (48.0" X 96.0")
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
Re: SketchUp 3D Model - Diamond Pattern Tread Plate
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 03:16:27 PM »
Congratulations! :)

Offline RussC

• Our own personal dragon trainer...with a flying wing fetish
  • Resident Painter
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 05:53:50 PM »
Great idea, and one that should be available as a texture for many uses. Trucks and trains use a lot of this stuff.

Offline Doom!

• Slayer of pixels and plastic!
  • Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 11:51:00 PM »
Nicely done, amazing how sometimes something that seems like it should be simple really takes some thought to figure out. Looks great!
Doom!
Jeff G.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 03:29:27 AM »
Thanks for the comments.  I suppose the real indication of whether this was a useful model or not will come when I see it being used by other 3D modelers for their own projects.  Sometimes it is the simple and uncomplicated things that help more in the creation of something. 

I was curious to see if I could actually create something that could pass for tread plate after finding nothing but an add-on texture (or is that a "skin") in SketchUp to represent this in a model it was just a matter of trying to get it right and I think I did even though most of this was done without taking measurements and basing it on what I felt looked right which probably made it more complicated than it should have been. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 07:56:30 PM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 08:03:45 PM »
Yet another variation on the tread plate theme. 

This time I went with circular shapes and discovered I had to reduce the size of the model in order to allow it to meet the upload file size limits at the 3D Warehouse.  Too many polygons and next thing you know your model is 30mb in size.  Now it is but a fraction of the original file size and uploaded without issue. 

Link to my 3D model at SketchUp's 3D Warehouse:  Tread Plate - Circular Pattern (24.0" X 24.0")
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 08:05:34 PM by Jeffry Fontaine »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 03:17:32 AM »
Another diamond pattern tread  plate.  This time the pattern is centered around a square with the diamonds centered at each corner. 

Link to my 3D model at SketchUp's 3D Warehouse:   Tread Plate - Diamond Pattern 3 (24.0" X 24.0")