Author Topic: Super Heavy Tanks  (Read 47170 times)

Re: Super Heavy Tanks
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2013, 04:14:00 AM »
 :D

Offline Diamondback

• SC
  • Head of the crew dog fan boy club
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2013, 04:17:26 AM »
Wow...just wow!!!

Looks like it can't elevate though so just stay on the high ground and pound it with mortars  ;D
Or use airpower. "DEATH FROM ABOVE!" LOL

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2013, 09:42:36 AM »
:D

Nice looking tank, dude! :D

Figure the flaming dagger is a unit emblem but what's the flag? ???

:)

Guy
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2013, 12:36:03 PM »
Northern Hemisphere Alliance?

Something us Southern Hemispherians will obviously need to get rid of...  ;D

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2013, 01:29:37 PM »

Look again, it's Africa and Eur-Asia.
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2013, 04:20:51 PM »

Look again, it's Africa and Eur-Asia.

According to the game theories of Risk, that can't be allowed...  ;D

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2013, 12:02:34 AM »
Nice looking tank, dude! :D

Figure the flaming dagger is a unit emblem but what's the flag? ???

Guy

Thanx!  :)

Terran Empire flag.

Flaming dagger is a Terran Imperial Guard Heavy Armored Corps emblem  :)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2013, 10:07:40 AM »
Thanks!

Guy
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2014, 06:28:17 AM »
In the Generals storyline of the Command and Conquer franchise, even though I'm a bigger fan of the more-traditional Paladin tank, Overlord tank is a close second to me.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 08:46:59 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2014, 07:09:10 AM »
I can never understand these whiff tanks, where does the ammo come from -- a replicator machine or something ?

Offline uncle les

• Aussie Whiffer Extraordinaire!
  • The man behind the models of the same name...
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2014, 08:12:13 AM »
could not find a proper place so why not?

This...    I like.  ;D

Offline dy031101

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2014, 08:58:54 AM »
I can never understand these whiff tanks, where does the ammo come from -- a replicator machine or something ?

That's why I said I'm a bigger fan of the Paladin tank  ;D

I always figured that they could just have taken the inspiration from the Object 292 (I'd also have been thinking of a Nagmachon-like battle bunker, but that's just my take on the rule of cool here) instead of sticking to the Command & Conquer tradition of having at least one two-gun tank.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 09:41:09 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline dy031101

Mammoth V.S. Baneblade
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2014, 06:31:31 AM »
Well, at least something inspired by the idea here.

I think the size scale is off though because, like one of the follow-on posts in the thread said, the Baneblade is probably more in the weight class of the MARV......

Some internal arrangement of the Mammoth III tank:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 06:46:12 AM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2014, 10:25:36 AM »
A while ago I came across a web forum thread about "Mammoth 27 v.s. Baneblade" and someone in it stated that a weakness in Baneblade tank's frontal armours lies in the demolisher cannon- it's got so big a calibre that a decent FCS can put a shot through its muzzle and into the fighting compartment, therefore bypassing what armour the Baneblade has altogether.

It makes me wonder...... how big a gun (8 inch?  12 inch?) would it have to be to allow a hostile cannon aim down its barrel and put a shot through it?

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2014, 10:38:33 AM »
That's assuming that the round would stay inside the barrel and not punch right through or detonate before it ever got to the breach.  Do you know how unbelievably lucky a gunner would have to get to line up a PERFECT down the barrel shot?  Just saying.
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2014, 11:11:38 AM »
 :-\  :-\

As Cliffy (  ;) ) sez assuming that one could make so an accurate a shot, the gun breech
is designed to absorb the forces of the gun firing, so while such a lucky shot would
probably render the gun inoperative, it wouldn't necessarily take out the vehicle.
Oi, the gaming world gives me a headache.
 :-X
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2014, 11:33:11 AM »
Why does this make me think of making a saving roll with a RPG against a tank?  I can just see the odd (very!) set of circumstances that could send one down the barrel and take out the breech.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2014, 10:18:47 PM »
That's assuming that the round would stay inside the barrel and not punch right through or detonate before it ever got to the breach.  Do you know how unbelievably lucky a gunner would have to get to line up a PERFECT down the barrel shot?  Just saying.

Well there was one very lucky guy that I read about  --- Robert Stanford Tuck.  While reading 'Fly for your Life', the book about his exploits, he describes the time when he was shot down over France. He had been on a sortie with his wingman when his aircraft's engine took a round which stopped the engine dead, and as they were at low level he only had a split second to find a field to land in and the one he happened to pick was slap-dab in the middle of an AA battery.  The problem was, even though his aircraft was spewing smoke and everything else, as he was gliding in to land the AA crews kept shooting point blank at him which pissed him off, so he aimed at one of the gun placements and gave a quick squirt back at them. 

Moments later he did a wheels-up landing almost right in front of the AA gun which was all shot up, and didn't make the other AA crews very happy so they started to beat him up after he got out of the Spit. But then to his amazement the Germans started to slap him on his back and shake his hand.  He couldn't figure out what was going on because he thought they were going to shoot him for killing all their mates.  Turns out one of his 20mm shells had gone right down one of the barrels of the 20mm quad AA gun which when exploding peeled the barrel back like a banana and this was what killed all the gunners operating it.

The Germans were quite impressed with his marksmanship ---- but it could also been the fact they noticed his aircraft had 29 'kill' marking on the side of his Spit and the Germans realizing they had captured one of the best --
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 10:31:06 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2014, 10:33:08 PM »
IIRC there was a shot recorded in North Africa where a German 50mm round lodged in the barrel of a British 6 Pdr armed tank (it entered the muzzle at a slight angle).   I'm also sure I've seen several pictures of tanks where rounds entered the muzzle at an angle and then exited out the side of the barrel.  These sorts of shots owed more to circumstance than design.   Getting a round down the barrel of a gun would take extremely good shooting and have to take into account the relative motions of both firer and target, as well as the problems of windage, poor vision, etc.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2015, 05:57:06 AM »
The Germans has the Landkreuzer P. 1000 "Ratte" ...the Brits had the Movable Maginot Line:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2015, 05:30:47 AM »
The Germans has the Landkreuzer P. 1000 "Ratte" ...the Brits had the Movable Maginot Line:

Would this be a great model kit or what  :-*
Going to venture a WAG:
Lower twin guns 8"
Upper twin guns 6"
Single guns 5"
Top corner turrets 5"
Top twin turret 37mm AA   3"?
Front center guns 8"
Front side guns 6"
Front lower guns 37mm   3"?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 02:29:48 PM by finsrin »

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2015, 02:55:27 AM »

German Mammoth Tank

I think if I was to design a huge tank I would have a modular center body housing the turret and equipment, with a tracked section articulating at each end

Love this  :-* :-* :-*