Author Topic: I'm a bad influence....  (Read 5886 times)

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
I'm a bad influence....
« on: March 12, 2014, 04:03:06 PM »
One of the guys at work was building the Hasegawa 1/32 P-26 and was grousing about what paint scheme to do it in. By the time I got finished talking, this is what he wound up deciding to make:

Backstory:

Overrun and on the run, American forces in the Philippines were in chaos. The Japanese offensive caught them only partially prepared, and planes like the P-26 Peashooter were not up to the task of defending Philippine airspace. In the chaos, one lone P-26 appears to have made it out, somehow loaded as cargo on an outgoing freighter. Somehow, against all odds, it made it to Burma, itself under attack from Japan, and soon was grounded due to landing gear damage. It was there that an enterprising Marine mechanic spied a set of floats from a Tiger Moth, and set about attaching them to the Peashooter.
The next few weeks is unclear, and nobody has been able to find out how the little Boeing fighter made it's way to Darwin, in Australia. However, on the morning of February 28th, a small single engined floatplane was spotted approaching Darwin. After an initial fear of it being part of an attacking force, ground spotters identified it as a P-26 and it was soon impressed into RAAF use.
Sporting an American Intermediate Blue over Grey paint scheme, RAAF markings and floats, the Peashooter (Or Seashooter as it became known) became a valued asset for Australian forces around Port Moresby. Scouting and small interdiction was a role it excelled in, as it was easy to conceal, nimble, and reasonably fast. It had been upgunned to two .50 cal guns, and carried 2 100 pound bombs, or 5 31 pound anti-personnel bombs. A Pratt and Whitney Hornet engine, along with a three bladed prop had also been "found" and adapted to the P-26. This helped counteract the higher all up weight the plane had grown to with the addition of the floats. It became a favourite plane amongst the Coast Watchers, as it was hard to spot from the air when pulled into the growth along the shores, and on more than one occasion was used to evacuate wounded personnel, who had to endure a terrifying flight strapped to the wing!

Thanks to "Mark 2" for his plane. Floats came from a Matchbox 1/32 Tiger Moth, decals from his spares bin. The insanity was apparently contagious!

Alvis 3.1
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 04:18:28 PM by Alvis 3.1 »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: I'm a bad influence....
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 04:12:18 PM »
Beauty, eh! :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 04:21:55 PM »
Sorry, I don't see the bad in that anywhere, Alvis. ???

I see awesome & lots of it! 8)

To me; Mark 2's build is a great example of whiffing at its best! :D

:icon_music:

Guy
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Alvis 3.1

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 04:38:21 PM »
I was really blown away by the paint scheme. Somehow, it really suits the plane. I'm just annoyed I didn't get to build it!
:)

Alvis 3.1

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 05:26:25 PM »
 8) 8)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 05:35:08 PM »
Damn that looks great!  You should invite him to come join us.

EDIT: Damn Apple auto spell check!!! >:D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 02:41:31 AM by GTX_Admin »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 07:12:37 PM »
  You should invite him to knowing us.
To quote a certain Sergeant Wilson.. "do you think that is wise"  :)) :))

Love that scheme... it just works

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 12:09:43 AM »
Holy crap!!!  OUTSTANDING job sir  8)
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 12:37:32 AM »
That's one mighty fine looking Peashooter and it's great to see you spreading the madness, Alvis!

Brian da Basher

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 05:52:39 AM »
Pegs the needle of outstandingness gauge :)
What a surprise --- that finish really works.  Never woulda thought so.

Offline uncle les

• Aussie Whiffer Extraordinaire!
  • The man behind the models of the same name...
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 07:36:34 AM »
Seashooter... love it !!    Now I know what to do with that pesky 1/72 Matchbox kit languishing in the "do I don't I ?" storage area !
 ;)

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 09:06:39 AM »
That is awesome  8) Welcome him to the dark side!
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Alvis 3.1

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 10:22:52 AM »
I neglected to describe the fate that befell the lil guy. That's what happens when you write fiction at 3 AM, you leave out the cool stuff.
I also kind of scrimped on the "missing month", where it was rattling around north of Oz. Was it flown by Dutch pilots? RN? RAF? USN? Marine Corps? Who got it out of Burma? Terry and the Pirates? Biggles? It might have looked neat in Dutch Orange Triangles.
And when did it get the USN blue/grey scheme? As soon as it got the floats, or after arrival in oz?
Questions, questions, I'll have to consult with the builder, Mark 2.

BTW, the reason he's called "Mark 2", is that we have/had three guys named Mark working here, so they got termed Marks 1-3. If you want a job in Victoria BC in a hobby shop, and your name is Mark, we may be able to fit you in....

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 12:03:38 PM »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 11:07:06 AM »
I neglected to describe the fate that befell the lil guy. That's what happens when you write fiction at 3 AM, you leave out the cool stuff.
I also kind of scrimped on the "missing month", where it was rattling around north of Oz. Was it flown by Dutch pilots? RN? RAF? USN? Marine Corps? Who got it out of Burma? Terry and the Pirates? Biggles? It might have looked neat in Dutch Orange Triangles.
And when did it get the USN blue/grey scheme? As soon as it got the floats, or after arrival in oz?
Questions, questions, I'll have to consult with the builder, Mark 2.

BTW, the reason he's called "Mark 2", is that we have/had three guys named Mark working here, so they got termed Marks 1-3. If you want a job in Victoria BC in a hobby shop, and your name is Mark, we may be able to fit you in....

I'l not say anything about that being the mark of a successful hobby shop.

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 11:29:15 AM »
Thank you very much .
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!