Author Topic: Small Brown Dog Artwork and related  (Read 110682 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Small Brown Dog Artwork and related
« Reply #475 on: March 29, 2023, 05:36:40 PM »
Ah, Thunderbird 2! My favourite since I was knee-high to a grasshopper! :-*
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #476 on: March 30, 2023, 10:05:34 AM »
Is it just me or does this one have a bit of a WALL-E vibe to it?
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Small brown dog

• Dwelling too long on the practicalities of such things can drive you mad.
  • Yappity woof grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
« Reply #477 on: March 30, 2023, 04:38:05 PM »
Is it just me or does this one have a bit of a WALL-E vibe to it?

Those eyes look so right  :smiley:
Maybe all the Tbird craft should faces something like Thomas the Tank Engine and his friends.

You may have started something here ;)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 04:42:15 PM by Small brown dog »
Its not that its not real but it could be that its not true.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #478 on: March 31, 2023, 03:38:52 AM »
... Maybe all the Tbird craft should faces something like Thomas the Tank Engine and his friends...

Love it!

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #479 on: June 01, 2023, 04:48:36 AM »
Stingray

I think without doubt or fear of contradiction that the greatest ever opening scene of any TV series has to be Gerry Andersons Stingray. Yeah I know it’s all subjective but even now after almost 50 years I still get that tingle when it runs. Its so damned exciting you just get caught up in it and you actually believe that “anything can happen in the next half hour”.

Now just to throw a spanner in the works I do have to state that very quickly that  as a kid I began to think that not one of the stories ever lived up to the opening sequence and that awful ending “Marina” song was so sickly sweet I was scared all my teeth would rot and fall out ...or maybe that was later when Ayesha Brough and Gabriel Drake were rewiring my brain in UFO.

Anyway, there is that great but crazy scene in the opening sequence where Stingray leaps out of the water with a Titan Terror fish following. I always wondered what the back story to that might have been and I figured it was a last ditch attempt to shake of the Terror fish which had previously snuck up on Stingray and let loose a couple of torp’s . So some decades later I thought I would recreate that underwater attack scene from my childhood head.

I imagine there are some that wonder what the hell I’m on about re the opening sequence so here you go and remember this was 1964 …

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45NtEXv7DZs

By the way, I think that following hot on the heels of Stingray has to be the opening sequence to the Prisoner but I’m happy to be persuaded different.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 04:50:54 AM by Small brown dog »

Offline robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
« Reply #480 on: June 01, 2023, 05:29:24 AM »
XLNT . . . !!
The thing I could never work out with Stingray was why, if the Bad Guys were aquatic creatures that lived under the sea, when there was an attack warning, the WASP base hid itself underground in case of an air raid . . .

" Marina, Aqua Marina, what's that strange , and haunting, smell of fish when you're near . . ."

cheers,
Robin.
By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #481 on: June 02, 2023, 12:09:03 AM »
I noticed some definite elements of the Thunderbirds theme music in the Stingray theme music.

Stingray wasn't something that had much impact on my childhood, nor was Captain Scarlet.

Thunderbirds did.

I don't know why because I remember having seen episodes of all of them but only Thunderbirds made any real impression on  me.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #482 on: June 02, 2023, 02:29:04 AM »
XLNT . . . !!
The thing I could never work out with Stingray was why, if the Bad Guys were aquatic creatures that lived under the sea, when there was an attack warning, the WASP base hid itself underground in case of an air raid . . .
shhhh....applying logic breaks the spell  ;)

" Marina, Aqua Marina, what's that strange , and haunting, smell of fish when you're near . . ."
That made me LoL  ;D

cheers,
Robin.

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #483 on: June 02, 2023, 02:34:44 AM »
I noticed some definite elements of the Thunderbirds theme music in the Stingray theme music.

Stingray wasn't something that had much impact on my childhood, nor was Captain Scarlet.

Thunderbirds did.

I don't know why because I remember having seen episodes of all of them but only Thunderbirds made any real impression on  me.

Oh hell yes, Thunderbird's was "it" as far as I was/am concerned. Nothing touched it then or since.
Lots of the Barry Grey music written for stingray became reused as incidental music for Tbirds.

When I become the next king of England, as I should be, I would make the Thunderbird's them the national anthem and all the emergency vehicles would have the Stingray bongos for sirens  ;) 

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #484 on: June 02, 2023, 11:55:42 AM »
I remember watching Thunderbirds as a kid and loving it. At some point, I built an Angel Interceptor model, just because I thought it was a cool design. I had no idea about its context, or Captain Scarlet. I remember seeing an episode or two of Captain Scarlet later on. I don't think I've ever seen a Stingray episode.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #485 on: June 02, 2023, 05:24:19 PM »
Stingray was of my time, so I love this drawing.

Stargazer Models used to do a Resin kit of stingray, but no more sadly. I will have to ask if he still has the moulds next time I see him

Thunderbirds did.

I find myself totally opposite, Fireball XL5, Space Patrol, Stingray and moreso Captain Scarlet were more in my zone than Thunderbirds

Offline apophenia

« Reply #486 on: June 03, 2023, 09:49:22 AM »
...When I become the next king of England, as I should be ...

King Canis the First?  I'd vote for ya  :smiley:

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #487 on: July 30, 2023, 05:24:23 PM »
Nachtschwalbe

Messerschmitt’s response to the mid 1930’s RLM invitation to aircraft manufacturers to submit designs for a fast multi role bomber was doomed from the outset. The Daimler Benz alternative to the Junker’s  Jumo Elektrisch 211 power cell  was crippled with design issues. Politics also played a major part in the cancellation of the project but not before 3 prototypes had been built.

Given the company designated number of 512, the second prototype 512 V2, did make some successful trial flights showing good performance and handling but was too little too late. It did not help that 512 V1 was lost in a fire during an engine ground run which set the project back by six months. 

An effort to revitalise the project in 1940 also came to nothing and the remaining airframes were used as test beds for engine and equipment use. Messerschmitt had originally taken the multi role concept quite literally and designed the rear fuselage aft of the forward cabin, but including the rear cabin area, to be easily modified to take various mission equipment. The ease in which the rear section could be modified meant flight trial mounting of new and experimental equipment could be realised in a very short time with little airframe modification.

By early 1943 the RAF bombing of Germany was well underway and airborne detection equipment was constantly being upgraded. The 512 was perfect for this role now the power unit problems had been solved and both prototypes were in constant employment in this field.   At the request of the RLM, 512 V2 was to be modified for night interception trials. The latest and very powerful DB super lift power units were installed along with a 4 x 20mm ventral gun pack.

Heinkel were currently working on a promising night interception aircraft but it would be some time in reaching an operational status and so in the meantime the ME 512/B   would be put into limited production. It proved to a be a success but its crowning glory came after the decision to trial the Schräge Musik armament concept in conjunction with even more powerful DB super lift ELG units.

This modification went into service just as the Avro London was making its presence felt over Germany. The London had rudimentary close skin ballistic shielding although the shielding was prone to low percentage charging and frequent all out failures. However, when it worked the London could be difficult to down.

The ME 512/C now christened Nachtswalbe, was to prove a constant thorn in the side of RAF bomber command. The tactic of using the so called “over lift” to rise up behind the target and firing in order to neutralise the rear gunner and quickly discharge the shield capacitors left the London wide open. The Nachtswalbe would then drop away under negative lift to close in under the bomber and allow the rear mounted Schräge Musik to serenade the bomber.

The wing root tanks of the London were the target area of choice often because a full bomb load detonation could result in both hunter and prey being destroyed. However, as with the ballistic shielding of the London, the Nachtswalbe’s Super lift ELG units also had some issues.

Super positive and negative lift generation could result in field spool over spin that could not be countered unless there was a lot of height available to allow for shutdown and re spin up. This was also an issue for the mighty Junker Jumo Elektrisch 211. Nowadays of course we have super redundant digital systems taking care of all that sort of thing but in the dark days of the 1940’s it could all get a little hairy very quickly.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #488 on: July 31, 2023, 01:05:39 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #489 on: July 31, 2023, 02:20:27 AM »
Looks as if the Schräge Musik guns point almost straight up?

Offline apophenia

« Reply #490 on: July 31, 2023, 03:06:42 AM »
Very nice! And a great backstory (as usual)  :smiley:

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #491 on: July 31, 2023, 06:39:34 AM »
Well that is a neat design. I really like it.

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #492 on: July 31, 2023, 04:07:25 PM »
Looks as if the Schräge Musik guns point almost straight up?

It was a last minute addition to spice the project up which I was beginning  consider a bit boring to be honest. I think they are set at something like 10, maybe 15 degrees so not optimum.
Before the Schage Musik I toyed with the idea of a turret but honestly I had had a enough of the thing so pointy upward stuff was so much easier to slap on the back ;)

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #493 on: July 31, 2023, 04:08:51 PM »
Very nice! And a great backstory (as usual)  :smiley:

Appreciate that - thanks.

By the way ...
"Wake up and smell the coffee
Or just say no to individuality"

Great lyric, good song.

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #494 on: July 31, 2023, 04:09:36 PM »
Well that is a neat design. I really like it.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #495 on: August 02, 2023, 03:33:11 AM »
... Great lyric, good song.

Cheers! Good to see that there are still some L7 fans around  :D

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #496 on: November 20, 2023, 04:54:17 PM »
SBD Industries K9/600 "Flyer"

SBD Industries had been created in the early 1930’s in order to hold and control the interests of several businesses that incorporated the electrical levitation and EMFEM weight compensation technology designed and created by Aero Electric Ltd.   

Although operating in several diverse markets SBD had had little involvement in Aero Cycle manufacture  prior to the 1950’s but in late 1949 SBI appointed a chief designer for its new Aero cycle Division:  Mr Ernest Mills. 
Mills career had seen him employed by some of the giants of UK traction and Aero cycle manufacturers. He received much acclaim for his development of the Isle of Man TT winning Norton Aviator Aero Cycle which had made him one of the leading industry designers.
Norton, like most other manufacturers used lift generation and traction field technology licensed from Aero Electric Ltd. In order for Mills to continue his successes he needed to stop being limited by off the shelf technology and be able to influence development directly where he could and so he approached SBD who snapped him up.

Mills wanted to develop a machine to rival the Norton Aviator and envisaged a light frame with a light yet powerful engine coupled to a very high output power generator. In addition Mills also intended that EL, EMFEM and traction field generator should occupy an area not bigger than a conventional traction cycle wheel area.

It was a tall order but Mills was aware that SBI had developed a line of small light weight super high output power generators known as the K series. These units had great potential for Aero cycles but this application had not been considered at the time of the initial development and the K series project was shelved.

Some 6 months after the appointment of Mills and under his encouragement, SBD Industries purchased Phelon & Moore Ltd.  P&M produced a line of motorcycles under the “Panther” name but in particular they produced a very capable and light weight single cylinder engine. 

Mills took an improved P&M 40 degree sloping engine which was also a stressed member of the frame and coupled it to a K6 series generator. The very high output of the K series generator allowed for smaller field generators which in turn received a boost from a new generation of Tcoil  power conditioners which were also smaller and light weight thus allowing the energy train placement within a conventional wheel area both front and rear.
And so in Spring 1960 the first SBI K6/500 was in production followed by the K7 the following year.

Aero cycle sales had gone ballistic in the late 50’s early 1960’s  with cost reductions and the introduction of hire purchase payments now available making ownership much easier. By the early 1960’s sales had overtaken conventional traction based cycles with many new and second hand machines being snapped up by members of the growing Rocker subculture.

Rocker, Ton up boy, greaser – call them what you will but one thing was a constant: the need for speed. To satisfy that need you had to have a Café Racer, an aero cycle modified for speed with drop handlebars, rear sets and a power delivery train tuned to perfection. 

There were the dream machines of course: The Bonneville Electric, The previously mentioned Norton Aviator and of course the BSA flying Gold Star but there was another machine, the ultimate machine drooled over by the many but owned only by the few.

For 1963 SBI Aero cycles under the guidance of Ernest Mills took the bold decision to incorporate all the mods that were done in garages and sheds across the land and incorporate them into one highly tuned machine: The SBI K9/600 “flyer”

Of course the Rockers never referred to it as the “Flyer”. To them and to this day the K9 is known as The Dog but then I would say that wouldn’t I.

Not sure about this one. Represents a renovated "Dog" as owned and operated by Brooklands Museum, Weybridge.

That might be the last for the year as my mojo blues seem to be stronger than ever so just to depress you I'll wish you all a happy Christmas now :)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 12:18:22 AM by Small brown dog »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #497 on: November 21, 2023, 01:50:26 AM »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #498 on: November 21, 2023, 10:29:58 AM »
Outstanding!!

Offline apophenia

« Reply #499 on: November 25, 2023, 09:41:28 AM »
... my mojo blues seem to be stronger than ever ...

Well, if your gorgeous K9/600 is a product of you scudding past with the mojo blues, I'd say keep it up  :smiley:

Anyway, if needs must, 'Happy Christmas' to you too. (Although that immediately has me wondering about the potential of reindeer-replacement electrical levitation drives ...)  ;)