Author Topic: The YoKai's World War Oneders - Sea: Versuchsgleitboot  (Read 2546 times)

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
The YoKai's World War Oneders - Sea: Versuchsgleitboot
« on: January 02, 2022, 08:26:52 AM »
A sort of halfway houseboat between WiG and Hovercraft, the VGB was an interesting, if unsuccessful Austro-Hungarian attempt at a fast
torpedo boat. Cutting the sides was a bit tedious, but detailing the cabin should be fun. Four six cylinder aero engines for starters.
DSCF0654 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr
This is a fair article on the craft. I first encountered it fourteen or fifteen years a ago at an aviation webmagazine called Chandelle, but there
appear to be a few more sources out there these days.
https://naval-encyclopedia.com/ww1/austria-hungary/Versuchsgleitboot.php

Happy New Year!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: The YoKai's World War Oneders - Sea: Versuchsgleitboot
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2022, 10:28:21 AM »
Neat! :smiley:

I noticed in the footage that they didn't show it manoeuvring & that wasn't mentioned in the text, either; so, I'm wondering if that was its weak point ... or not? ???

Looked good motoring along in a straight line, though! ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2022, 05:51:48 PM »
Ooohhh ! Liking this already

Offline Dr. YoKai

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2022, 11:12:24 PM »

I noticed in the footage that they didn't show it manoeuvring & that wasn't mentioned in the text, either; so, I'm wondering if that was its weak point ... or not? ???

One of the other sources I have seen mentions that it was unstable at speed, and not very nimble. And looking at the rudders in one of the plan views, I suspect it was not easy to turn. The first plan views I came across appeared to be contemporary drawings, and the rudders, fore and aft, had two profiles, on solid, and the other a dashed outline that may have indicated later modification.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2022, 02:10:46 AM »

One of the other sources I have seen mentions that it was unstable at speed, and not very nimble. And looking at the rudders in one of the plan views, I suspect it was not easy to turn. The first plan views I came across appeared to be contemporary drawings, and the rudders, fore and aft, had two profiles, on solid, and the other a dashed outline that may have indicated later modification.

:smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Dr. YoKai

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 12:42:40 AM »
Not a lot of progress in the last three weeks - but I have started on the engines. I was able to find some nice reference photos of the 120 hp engines used , and while I won't go overboard with the detail (eyes and hands will cooperate only so far these days... :-[) I think they'll look ok by the time I'm done with them. DSCF0660 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr

Offline Dr. YoKai

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2022, 06:31:48 AM »
 Slow progress. The local weather has been cool enough that my tiny space heater doesn't make much of a dent. Still managed to get a little of the interior further along, and roughed in the torpedo chutes. It warmed up enough today to take a couple of pictures.
The engines are starting to look acceptable; still need a few more tubes and fittings.
DSCF0669 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr

And I sprayed the interior with what I hope will be a passable representation of wood.

DSCF0668 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr

Once things warm up again, I should be able to stain and weather the interior, and start tacking things in.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2022, 10:56:34 AM »
Looks good so far. Nice job on the engines! What scale is this? Looks big.

Offline Dr. YoKai

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2022, 07:41:26 AM »
 1/72, approximately - Looking at the engines in the plan view, and comparing them to a 1/72 aeroclub Austro-Daimler I had in the stash,
 I figured out the ratio to make them match, and printed out the drawings accordingly. Not the most scientific method, but it looks about right. ;)

Should be warm enough tomorrow to stain the interior and maybe build the blower engine. Thankfully, there's only one of those, and it's a
 a four cylinder.