Author Topic: Mega-carrier  (Read 40600 times)

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Re: Mega-carrier
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2019, 04:46:26 PM »
For those liking peek inside hull. 
>>  Stern opening filler in clamps drying and with clamps removed.  Brings up to same level as hanger deck which continues to stern.
>>  Kit includes decking for hanger.  Vertical bars inside hull are what hanger deck sits on.  Since raised hanger door threshold with plastic bar stock; am raising decking same amount by using same bars to raise support for deck.  Lucked out to have correct size plastic bar stock on hand.

This one part of build is simple.  See attached ---

Offline bluedonkey99

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
    • Kampfgruppe144 (1/144 News & Modelling)
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2019, 09:05:24 PM »
Bill, are going to go island-less like the USS United States (CVA-58)?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_United_States_(CVA-58)

with a deck of this size, there is a strong case for following the HMS Queen Elizabeth and having one or two satellite flight control/deck control towers?

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2019, 09:21:44 AM »
To me, Serious Clampage© is always the sign of an amazing build!

Brian da Basher

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2019, 09:59:44 AM »
This project has me pondering something similar, maybe for the upcoming "Floaty" GB.  I've been looking at one of the 1/350 Littoral Combat Ships as the base for a 1/700 amphibious assault ship with a compliment of V-22s, CH-53s and AH-1Ws (no one makes F-35Bs or AH-1Zs in /700 yet).

Looking forward to this build progressing.  Looks cool so far.
You might see if anyone makes 1/700 Harriers to add to the firepower.

Addendum:  I just checked, 1/700 Harriers are available from both Trumpeter and Orange Hobby.

This is a great idea! I immediately thought of the tri hull version of the LCS. Hmmmm, much to ponder....
I’m looking forward to seeing your ideas.

The adjustments you’ve made look great. The stern in particular looks much better. Before it looked like it was riding too high in the water. Much better now. Will you be changing the shape of the hanger openings back to four rounded corners? Either way will look cool.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 10:31:32 AM by kerick »

Offline finsrin

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2019, 10:48:15 AM »
This project has me pondering something similar, maybe for the upcoming "Floaty" GB.  I've been looking at one of the 1/350 Littoral Combat Ships as the base for a 1/700 amphibious assault ship with a compliment of V-22s, CH-53s and AH-1Ws (no one makes F-35Bs or AH-1Zs in /700 yet).

Looking forward to this build progressing.  Looks cool so far.
You might see if anyone makes 1/700 Harriers to add to the firepower.

Addendum:  I just checked, 1/700 Harriers are available from both Trumpeter and Orange Hobby.

This is a great idea! I immediately thought of the tri hull version of the LCS. Hmmmm, much to ponder....
I’m looking forward to seeing your ideas.

Me too,,, looking forward to seeing your ideas.
Thread for scaling ships to 1/700 would be great.   Like to share concepts, lessons learned and such there.  How about it ?
Find this 1/700 scaleoramaing most interesting.  Are vintage 1/5xx box scale carriers I could have started with which is arguably wiser move.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2019, 12:47:28 PM »
From Hobbylink Japan there is a set of JMSDF aircraft in 1/700th including F-35A and B made by Pit Road.

Offline finsrin

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2019, 01:21:09 PM »
Pit Road --- is where this B-17 is from.
Could not resist painting late WW2 dark blue and placing on deck for scale perception.  Landing gear and props later. 
First picture taken from rear, second from front.  In launch position on catapult.
Obviously no sweat fitting on elevators.

see attached ---

« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 01:32:41 PM by finsrin »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2019, 01:24:25 PM »
I knew she was big but, Ye Gods, it's HUGE! :o
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2019, 05:13:45 AM »
I think the shots with the B-17 are my favorite so far!

I like the idea of being able to fit an entire bomb wing on the deck. You can never have too many Flying Fortresses.

Great stuff, Admiral!

Brian da Basher

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2019, 09:34:08 PM »
I knew she was big but, Ye Gods, it's HUGE! :o

Agree, it wasn't until you put the B-17 on the deck did I realise how big this carrier is,  it's mahoosive!

Looking forward to seeing the finished article.

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Antonio Sobral

• Building and painting tiny little things!
  • Greetings from Portugal
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2019, 11:21:25 PM »
That's not a ship, that's a small continent :)

Great build. Keep us informed on the evolution!

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2019, 01:32:38 AM »
Obviously no sweat fitting on elevators.
You could bring them up two, maybe three at a time.

And a squadron of F6Fs to protect them on another elevator.

Sinking it with even heavy WW2 bombs or torpedoes would be like plinking at it with BBs.

Offline finsrin

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2019, 11:06:41 AM »
Thanks all.  Does make for a mahoosive/continent like subject.  Now that two hull cuts are done am encountering scale change details to deal with.
Largest most complex kit ever for me.
Did slow detailed look at instructions and 35 sprues with 1300+ parts.  Can subtract 16 sprues of 1/350 aircraft from that.
Figuring how to resize much of 1/350 to be 1/700.  Obviously be using 1/700 kits as donors.  Particularly guns and aircraft.
Lot of modern equipment parts are not used - CIWS, life raft containers, multi-multi-multi antennas, jet blast deflectors....
Surprised that WW2 1/700 USS Saratoga funnel size matches OOB funnel for apparent exhaust capacity.  Complete with 1/700 doors, ladders, life rafts....
Likely use Essex class bridge.  Fits WW2.  Keep radar antenna at as late WW2 as can.
Will try sanding down deck edge catwalk railing by 1/2 to be 1/700 size.

For a builder who is cracker jack at details the hanger deck is prime place to be build of its own.  Equipment on walls and deck and the aircraft would make primo diorama.  Devise so flight deck is removable would be cool.  Not for me to do but had to mention possibility.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 11:19:25 AM by finsrin »

Offline Kerick

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2019, 11:20:06 AM »
I surely hope you don't burn out on this baby! It's just too awesome! I'm afraid all I can give you is encouragement but I'll do all I can.
Perhaps just concentrate on the ship for now and you can work on the aircraft a little at a time. Sort of a project that's never really done and you just keep adding to it.
Do you need parts? Maybe you could trade some left over modern stuff for WW2 from someone else? Wish I could help on that end but I don't do many ships.

Offline finsrin

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2019, 06:27:21 AM »
Thanks Kerick.  Plodding ahead as fit build in with life activities.

Hanger deck glued in.  Is midway between top and bottom of shortened height hull.  Holds hull firmly together.  No need for bottom plate to replace cut off hull bottom.  Yes !

Skywave 1/700 Elco PT boat kit arrived.  To be captain's gig minus torpedo tubes.  Retain guns.  Kit includes bit smaller Vosper MTB.  Good as rescue boat for downed aircraft.  Minus tubes, retain guns.
Interesting kit feature is "S" Boat, Vosper, PT Boats are cast in at rest hull and at speed up planing hull waterline hulls.  Well thought out for diorama use.  Stowed on carrier exposed hull requires underside putty work.  Or be set in cradle that hides lower hull.  Micro tweezer build skills needed to outfit the decks.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 03:02:16 PM by finsrin »

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2019, 05:00:57 AM »
I like all the boats you're adding, Admiral!

I can imagine them with little splashes of color from the life savers, etc.

Brian da Basher

Offline finsrin

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2019, 03:37:53 AM »
Working on stern with its cove where jet engines are run etc.  No jet engines now.  Has posts for mooring lines.  Fiddling with AA gun placements.  Maybe life boat.  Still can fill in to be solid and hang 40mm gun bins off stern. 
After back-n-forth with bridge and funnel parts leaning to kitbash together Essex bridge and shortened height Saratoga funnel.
Studdied various carrier pictures.  Tweaked hanger door inserts for Forrestal class appearance.  Much like but bit different than CV-67.  As if a super prototype for coming Forrestal class.
Finding smallness of 1/700 challenging to work with.
Pictures when something to show.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 04:11:18 AM by finsrin »

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2019, 08:47:33 AM »
You've gotta park a Peacemaker on that deck, you know you wanna.

Brian da Basher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2019, 01:48:47 AM »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2019, 03:43:06 AM »
You've gotta park a Peacemaker on that deck, you know you wanna.

Brian da Basher

Looking at Greg's link in the above post, it says the 1/700 model is 3 7/8" wing span, but it's closer to 3 15/16". Will you have enough room on the deck Bill ?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2019, 03:44:22 AM »
Maybe do a folded wing version... ;) ;D
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline finsrin

« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2019, 05:36:10 AM »
Thanks for B-36 info.  I like it.
In this case have to go non-folding.  Land, rearm, refuel, catapult (700 ft) takeoff. 
Doing phase 2 of major model room clean up and reorganizing.  Mega-carrier build on pause.  Back at it soon.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2019, 03:44:43 AM »
Lots of options here including a 1/700 B-36:  http://www.tomsmodelworks.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=52&osCsid=s8f5m6jj1uienec2eo35k45oo5

IIRC, Tom's Modelworks has their models printed by Shapeways.

Offline finsrin

« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2019, 01:16:55 PM »
Like that B-36.  Have to get at least one.  Check out how it fits on flight deck.
Took break from building to redo model room.  Better organized, better lighting, better access to building table.  Now back to Mega-carrier.
This is interesting.  Mixing Essex, Lexington, Saratoga bridge and funnel parts.  Building as separated assemblies.
Basically put aft of funnel section of Essex bridge on top of front section with Lex/Sara transition deck.  Now tall enough bridge guys can see around.
Getting my styrene sea legs.

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2019, 05:02:13 AM »
Glad to hear construction is proceeding apace, Admiral!

I really like that transition deck idea and I can just about visualize it. Things like that really make ship builds for me.

Looks like you're full-steam ahead!

Brian da Basher