Poll

What are your preferences re Group Builds moving forward?

I don't care
0 (0%)
Leave as we have now with 3mth builds with a 1 month break in between and a calendar scheduled 12mths in advance
2 (18.2%)
Leave as we have now with 3mth builds with a 1 month break in between but with each new GB planned/voted upon in the 1mth break
3 (27.3%)
Change the duration of GBs but still keep a long term plan
0 (0%)
Change the duration of GBs but perhaps work on shorter plans - e.g. only plan each new GB a couple of weeks out
2 (18.2%)
Do away with GBs altogether
0 (0%)
Something else - see my comment
4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: September 26, 2023, 03:25:59 AM

Author Topic: Questions related to Group Builds  (Read 1830 times)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Questions related to Group Builds
« on: September 12, 2023, 03:25:59 AM »
Folks,

Some questions related to the way we do Group Builds in order to better satisfy people's needs.  Please feel free to add comments below to either better explain your thinking, preferences or otherwise.

Kind regards,
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
Re: Questions related to Group Builds
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 12:20:19 PM »
Leave as is - but be flexible in case some world event seems to warrant a special build.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2023, 05:58:03 PM »
I was going to vote "I don't care" but that's not really true.

I do care but, as I've made the decision to only enter a GB if it is aligned with where I want to go modelling-wise, I'm not overly concerned with the direction in which the GB format/cycle is taken.

I just hope that the GB events continue, as I enjoy seeing what others do with the ideas, &, if things do gel, I still want to challenge myself to finish within the GB time-frame occasionally.

My personal, albeit very subjective & unresearched, observation is that the drop in GB participation seems to be in parallel with a drop in interaction on the site by the members. I don't know if that's because people aren't visiting the site as much any more or just aren't commenting, either way it has made the site a bit less fun to visit than it has been.

That said, I'll still be turning up because there are still some excellent modellers doing their thing here. :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2023, 08:11:22 PM »
Difficult.

It appears, that Group Builds are fairly standard fair on a lot of Special Interest sites and forums. If you frequent several forums it could be overwhelming.
Then there is the request for Moderators, it is one of those things. Somebody has to run it.
What Guy says is also true, if the subject does not align somewhat with what you build, then the chance of participation in a less interested zone is somewhat diminished.

Maybe, give the whole concept a Hiatus for 6 months, revisit around March next year and see if the mojo is back.
It is a bit like my building at the moment.. the mojo is not there.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2023, 11:08:22 PM »
Or try to sync the group builds with some of the more commonly visited forums?

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2023, 11:45:42 PM »
I’d say instead of an entire years worth of GB a couple at a time. I think interest falls way from some GBs if it’s too far in advance.

Or try to sync the group builds with some of the more commonly visited forums?

Interesting idea. Someone would have to check the other sites and post findings. A couple of times a year is all I imagine would be needed.

There does seem to be less traffic on this site lately. Don’t know why.

I don’t participate in many GBs unless they parallel something I’m planning to build. Plus I build pretty slowly so I rarely finish in time anyway. However, I do enjoy seeing what others come up with!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 11:51:26 AM by Kerick »

Offline robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2023, 05:10:21 AM »
Like others here, I have a general theme / direction to what i build, and while i sometimes will deviate from that, unfortunately at the current time, I don't have the spare funds to buy kits, etc., just for a Group Build.
I still think it's a good idea to have a long timetable for GBs, as it gives me time to decide if I'm going to participate, and what I'm actually going to build.
As regards increasing the participation in GBs, and also solving the difficult problem of finding a Moderator / Leader, perhaps give a version of the system that the Airfix Tribute Forum uses a try ?
At a given time before the GB in question is due to start, in this case I suggest just before the preceding GB is due to begin, a selection of Group Build ideas is put forward for the Forum Members to vote on.
The winning idea is then chosen and added to the GB timetable, AND, the person who suggested it becomes the Group Build moderator / leader.
It sounds somewhat complex, but it's easier to do than to describe . . .

cheers,
Robin.
By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2023, 11:55:41 AM »

The winning idea is then chosen and added to the GB timetable, AND, the person who suggested it becomes the Group Build moderator / leader.
It sounds somewhat complex, but it's easier to do than to describe . . .

cheers,
Robin.

Just like the military! "Great idea sergeant! You're in charge!"   ;)

Remedial moderator training will be required if I ever have to do it........ :o

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2023, 02:53:13 AM »
I voted for "Leave as we have now" but I do like Robin's automatic moderator concept.
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2023, 04:01:23 AM »
If pressed, I would suggest fewer GBs per year with a longer duration (4 months? 5?), with a 1 or 2 month break AND we determine the next GB theme as the current one is winding down, or in the break period. Maybe this would help keep excitement and interest high and prod more of us to participate?

I am guilty of not participating in the builds as much as I would like, and I'm really struggling to find any motivation to even clean off the bench, much less accomplish anything while there.  Its something I have to work through.

I'm not happy with my last duty as moderator, for a topic I suggested no less.  A sub-par moderation job at best, in my opinion.  But that won't stop me from helping when I can.

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2023, 06:48:28 PM »
Hi all

My 'haporth contribution

I'm a little different to you guys, I have no future plan ! I just pick a kit as the mood takes me and occasionally it coincides with a group build otherwise the group builds serve as inspiration to me.

I to have been having mojo problems the last few build have gone very well then thunk!  Complete lack of umph. I think it's because I have started a diorama and the current build went tits up due to sketchy research.

Anyway back to business I'm happy with the three month/one month scenario but i will run with other timelines.

The automatic moderator sounds good but it might put people off suggesting topics.

As for topics keep them simple and wide, obscure topics like ancient empires I think will put some people off.

Mog
>^-.-^<

Mostly Harmless...............

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2023, 01:42:19 AM »

We do generally try to do this but it doesn't always work out especially when someone might have suggested a GB topic 12mths beforehand and then things like life get int he way.  This was one of the reasons I put forward the idea of shorter look aheads rather than the 12mth calendar.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2023, 03:08:04 AM »
We do generally try to do this but it doesn't always work out especially when someone might have suggested a GB topic 12mths beforehand and then things like life get int he way.  This was one of the reasons I put forward the idea of shorter look aheads rather than the 12mth calendar.

Good point. And that does put the shorter-look-ahead into a very different perspective. (Can I change my vote?)

One thought I had was about the 'silos' that have developed of 'Physical Builds' and 'Digital Builds'. Obviously, these are sound divisions. A fair amount of pixel-bashing goes into profiles in PhotoShop, etc. (and such images can involve the same amount of research as any other whif). But, let's face it, the digital art workload pales in comparison to the effort involved in bashing out a 3D whif in styrene or resin.

Just spit-ballin' here but ... might we introduce some short-duration GBs dedicated to 'Digital Builds'? Alternatively, have some shorter-duration GBs combining 'Digital Builds' with, say, 24-hour 'Physical Builds'?
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2023, 03:11:02 AM »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2023, 03:16:16 AM »
Alternatively, have some shorter-duration GBs combining 'Digital Builds' with, say, 24-hour 'Physical Builds'?

Interestingly, IMHO some of the best creations have come from short gBs though they do present challenges and only some will be able to participate.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2023, 01:14:18 AM »
Thanks for those who voted and made comments.  Stand by for an update shortly.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2023, 03:43:16 AM »
Ok folks, following the feedback, here is what I propose we trial:

• We will still do 3mth builds with a 1 month break in between but with each new GB planned/voted upon in the 1mth break
  • This means the next GB will be planned to start in the 1st Dec
  • Over the next 2wks, we will take suggestions - please post them here
  • Following the 2wk period, we will have a poll on what we wish to have as the GB topic

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2023, 12:14:50 PM »
Life does manage to get in way of model building.  Am more likely to complete build with a three month window.  :smiley:

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2023, 10:43:21 PM »
I tend to build whatever I fancy when I get an idea... or when Felix picks a model for me. It rarely lines up with the GB themes.