Author Topic: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's  (Read 130127 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Re: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's
« Reply #650 on: June 19, 2022, 12:48:23 AM »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #651 on: June 19, 2022, 01:19:23 AM »
The craft stores such as Michael's, HobbyLobby, and Joannes have a lot of those shiny mylar bits in various sizes/shapes.  Some are almost perfect for small display screens without any trimming required.  The rest are large enough to work with using scissors or a hobby knife to get the size down to what you need.  Quantities are usually sold in bag containing way more than you will ever use up in three life times or more. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #652 on: June 19, 2022, 01:49:35 AM »
I found these clear plastic sheets on Amazon that may work for anti-reflection coatings: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=iridescent+plastic+sheet&crid=2WK7NFC27OE3R&sprefix=irridescent+plastic+sheet%2Caps%2C116&ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_1_24

Thanks for the link to the iridescent sheets.

I found this one that says it has an adhesive. I might give this one a try.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083XSL66F/?coliid=I3EW69OB3RTPQ1&colid=39MPF2T0XF9MD&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

The craft stores such as Michael's, HobbyLobby, and Joannes have a lot of those shiny mylar bits in various sizes/shapes.  Some are almost perfect for small display screens without any trimming required.  The rest are large enough to work with using scissors or a hobby knife to get the size down to what you need.  Quantities are usually sold in bag containing way more than you will ever use up in three life times or more. 

I did get some party favors from the dollar store that has the colored mylar. Those are what I used for the view ports on the Trumpeter LAV-25 and Zvezda BMPT Terminator-2. I remembered to mask the view ports on the LAV-25 but totally forgot to mask the ones on the BMPT.

Here are the party favors with the colored mylar.

Here is the colored mylar used on the LAV and BMPT.

I found this photo of a BMPT and noticed only the commander's panoramic sight shows the iridescent blue.

I did manage to clean off the primer off most of the clear parts and the blue mylar behind them can be seen again. I need to mask them off and prime those areas again as some of the primer came off when I used the cotton swabs dipped in thinner to clean off the clear parts. Even though the above image shows the two bigger, lower view ports clear, I have to leave the blue mylar as it was added behind the clear parts. I would have to break the hull apart to get the clear parts off to take the mylar off.

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #653 on: June 22, 2022, 07:04:02 AM »
<...>
Most GAZ Tigr's have the interior camouflaged but mine won't be. Zvezda didn't include the interior camo decals like Meng did but not all GAZ Tigr's have the interior camouflaged though. My roof hatch will be closed anyway and you really can't see much of the interior anyway if the roof hatch and doors are closed. <...>

Ran into the same issue - no decals - building Suyata's 1/48* T-90 and Tigr - no decals. Was too lazy to paint the camo and since roof hatch doors on mine were also going to be closed, I decided to just prime the whole interior black and drybrush the heck out of it with a light grey. Even though it was a really light grey, you can't see any of it through the windows. So... good choice. Being lazy was actually just being smart.  :icon_beer:

*Greg, just so you don't get any funny ideas: these are armour kits, so 1/48 is cool.  :P
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Ramba

« Reply #654 on: June 22, 2022, 11:41:44 PM »
Ran into the same issue - no decals - building Suyata's 1/48* T-90 and Tigr - no decals. Was too lazy to paint the camo and since roof hatch doors on mine were also going to be closed, I decided to just prime the whole interior black and drybrush the heck out of it with a light grey. Even though it was a really light grey, you can't see any of it through the windows. So... good choice. Being lazy was actually just being smart.  :icon_beer:

Thanks for the tip! How do you like the Suyata 1/48 T-90 and Tigr set?

I am just going to airbrush the rear interior an overall light tan/khaki color. I won't spend too much time on it. As you said, with the doors and hatches closed, you won't see any of the interior anyway. The front interior can be seen better though so will work on that area with more care. I am going to concentrate on the exterior camo.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #655 on: September 03, 2022, 09:16:39 AM »
Got this Eastern Express 1/35 GAZ-66 from Jeffry Fontaine. It actually has two trucks in there but no mortar. The kits were missing parts and were basically parts donor kits but I was determined to salvage them and build them.

Here is one of the two so far. The rear part of the cab is just dry fitted for now and the cab itself and the bed are also only dry fitted to the frame.

The gas tanks for one kit were missing and the gas tank mounts for both kits were missing. I scratch built the gas tank mounts. Not perfect but good enough for me. There are supposed to be two gas tanks, one on each side so I needed two gas tank mounts for each gas tank. I scratch built eight gas tank mounts for the two trucks.

Test fitting the mounts on the tanks.

Got the mounts attached on the frame and test fitted the gas tank. The gas tank is only dry fitted. The bed is dry fitted to check the clearance of the gas tank.

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #656 on: September 03, 2022, 09:48:15 AM »
Those scratch-built tank mounts look waaaaay cleaner than most of the DIY repairs driving around on Russian roads.  ;D

As for the Suyata kits: liked them both. A lot. Basic painting done on the Tigr. T-90 already has some weathering.
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #657 on: September 03, 2022, 11:07:29 AM »
Those Eastern Express Gaz-66 kits are great; they’re pretty accurate and the parts are (mostly) well made.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #658 on: September 03, 2022, 07:47:33 PM »
Those scratch-built tank mounts look waaaaay cleaner than most of the DIY repairs driving around on Russian roads.  ;D

As for the Suyata kits: liked them both. A lot. Basic painting done on the Tigr. T-90 already has some weathering.

The scratch built tank mounts and gas tank will get weathered so any defects in my scratch building will more than likely get covered in dirt/mud.

Looking forward to seeing your Suyata kits finished.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #659 on: September 03, 2022, 07:52:07 PM »
Those Eastern Express Gaz-66 kits are great; they’re pretty accurate and the parts are (mostly) well made.

The kit parts are actually not that bad. There is flash but easy cleanup. The instructions are extremely vague though. They show the parts and part numbers but when it comes to showing where some of the parts actually go is where the problem is. Once you figure out where the parts go, the parts fit fairly well. One major parts fit problem I had were the spare tire carrier. The spare tire carrier when put together is way too narrow to fit the spare tire.

In the post below shows that I had to widen the spare tire carrier and I need to fill in the huge gaps now.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #660 on: September 03, 2022, 08:15:38 PM »
One of the GAZ-66 trucks was missing the tires. I bought a set of DEF tires/wheels to replace the missing ones. Only thing is, the DEF set is for the Trumpeter kit and the wheel attachment points are totally different from the Eastern Express kit. It is going to take a lot of effort to get the DEF wheels to fit on the Eastern Express kit. Not looking forward to that at all.

Here are the original Eastern Express tires next to the DEF tires. The DEF tires are slightly wider than the kit tires.

Anyway, the Eastern Express spare tire carrier was way too narrow to even fit the original kit tire so I had to widen the spare tire carrier. When I widened the spare tire carrier it left huge gaps so it needs filling it. The widening of the spare tire carrier at the spacing I widened it at also allows it to fit the wider DEF tire as well.

The frames that the spare tire carrier sits on along with the two utility boxes that sit next to the spare tire were missing from both kits so I have to scratch build those. I started the frame but not the two utility boxes. I did the frame by eye but the boxes are a bit more complicated so waiting till I can get some dimensions before I start scratch building the two utility boxes.

Here is the scratch built frame for the spare tire carrier and two utility boxes to sit on. I used some angle iron plastic strips and sheet plastic, simple enough.

These are the two utility boxes missing. The first set of instructions are from Eastern Express. The other two sets of instructions are from Trumpeter which show them clearer. As you can see, there is a lot of detail on those two utility boxes. When I scratch build mine there won't be any detail though.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #661 on: September 04, 2022, 09:59:58 AM »
The instructions on the EE Gaz-66 are the kit's downfall. The one in mine was a poor xerox copy of a copy. Here's my build

What helped me was looking at Gaz-66 pictures online - especially of the chassis. Lots of trial and error was involved figuring out how to get the cab pivots installed correctly. Even of you don't plan on having the cab swing forward, a good connection will seat the cab properly over the engine. Also, the positions of the various gear shifts is not quite right in the instructions. Overall, it was a fun build for me.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 12:50:31 AM by GTX_Admin »

Offline Ramba

« Reply #662 on: September 04, 2022, 08:19:08 PM »
The instructions on the EE Gaz-66 are the kit's downfall. The one in mine was a poor xerox copy of a copy. [usl=https://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=4038.msg63474#msg63474]Here's my build[/url]

What helped me was looking at Gaz-66 pictures online - especially of the chassis. Lots of trial and error was involved figuring out how to get the cab pivots installed correctly. Even of you don't plan on having the cab swing forward, a good connection will seat the cab properly over the engine. Also, the positions of the various gear shifts is not quite right in the instructions. Overall, it was a fun build for me.

Yours came out great. Hoping I can do as good a job as you did.

Yes, I experienced exactly the same problems as you. Those pivots/pegs for the cab were a nightmare trying to get attached correctly. I don't plan on having the cab lift so I just glued the pivots/pegs in place to have the cab sit in the lowered position. Even with the cab in the lowered position, it still sits on the frame a bit awkwardly though. Lots and lots of test fitting for sure.

My instructions are also exactly the same as yours. They are photocopies of photocopies. The problem isn't that they are photocopies of photocopies, the problem is mostly that the actual locations of the parts is extremely vague.

Same as you, I did look over a lot of photos of real ones and in-progress builds as well.

Once you overcome the instructions, the kit does build up decently though as your build proves.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #663 on: September 04, 2022, 08:48:42 PM »
Working on the bench seats that go in the bed. They have huge ejector pin sink marks on them.

If you put the bench seats in the lowered position you won't see them but if you have them in the stowed up position you will clearly see them. I am going to have some ammo crates and backpacks loaded so the bench seats will be in the stowed up position so the sink marks will be visible.

I didn't have a punch big enough to cut some thin sheet plastic to fill in the sink marks. I will still use the smaller discs I cut out and will fill in the outer edges with putty. Won't be perfect but at least the sink marks won't be as visible. You can also see some of the flash on the parts that require cleaning up.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #664 on: September 05, 2022, 01:08:01 AM »
Can you use strips of plastic to span most of the sink marks then put putty in the remaining upper and lower arcs?

IIRC, I had to eyeball the cab position on the chassis and trim some plastic on the pivots or the radiator to get the cab to fit right. It feels pretty solid when it's in place, not wobbly or too high.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 01:09:42 AM by Frank3k »

Offline Ramba

« Reply #665 on: September 05, 2022, 03:55:49 AM »
Can you use strips of plastic to span most of the sink marks then put putty in the remaining upper and lower arcs?

IIRC, I had to eyeball the cab position on the chassis and trim some plastic on the pivots or the radiator to get the cab to fit right. It feels pretty solid when it's in place, not wobbly or too high.

The discs are already glued to the center of the sink marks and I filled the outer edges with putty. Waiting for the putty to fully cure before sanding everything flush.

The pivots I got on decently but there are two notches on the bottom of the cab that are supposed to fit over the raised parts the shock absorbers fit onto. The notches in the cab keep catching on those raised parts so I filed the back of the notches on the cab and now they slip right over the shock absorbers. The cab sits nice and level now, I think.

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #666 on: September 05, 2022, 08:24:28 AM »
Got this Eastern Express 1/35 GAZ-66 from Jeffry Fontaine. It actually has two trucks in there but no mortar. The kits were missing parts and were basically parts donor kits but I was determined to salvage them and build them.

That Vasilek is a neat system.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #667 on: September 05, 2022, 06:30:05 PM »
Looks like some interesting issues to deal with, Ramba, but some good work happening! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #668 on: September 05, 2022, 10:04:20 PM »
That Vasilek is a neat system.

It is pretty cool but it wasn't included in the kit. I got the kit as a parts donor kit and only included two partial truck kits.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #669 on: September 05, 2022, 10:12:07 PM »
Looks like some interesting issues to deal with, Ramba, but some good work happening! :smiley:

There are some issues but nothing too difficult to deal with. The biggest problems were the missing gas tanks and utility/tool boxes. I will have to scratch build the boxes which shouldn't be too hard but will lack the detail of the original parts. There were two truck kits in the box but only enough parts for two gas tanks. Each truck has two gas tanks so I need four. There were two gas tanks already assembled in the kit but there were four tops only and they were put together that way already. Even though they were assembled incorrectly, I will try to cast those two to make the other two.

With all the scratch building I have to do, both will be built as actual vehicles but as what ifs as if they had to scrounge parts from other vehicles to put the trucks back together for running condition.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #670 on: September 05, 2022, 11:47:14 PM »
With all the scratch building I have to do, both will be built as actual vehicles but as what ifs as if they had to scrounge parts from other vehicles to put the trucks back together for running condition.

I think I saw some pictures of a GAZ-66 that looked like it had borrowed parts from other trucks. They are pretty basic, rugged trucks so it probably happens frequently.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #671 on: September 06, 2022, 08:32:10 AM »

I think I saw some pictures of a GAZ-66 that looked like it had borrowed parts from other trucks. They are pretty basic, rugged trucks so it probably happens frequently.

I wish I had parts from a trashed kit to use parts from but unfortunately don't. At least those parts would look better than my scratch built parts. Hoping once my scratch built parts are painted and weathered they won't be so noticeable.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #672 on: September 06, 2022, 08:42:39 AM »
Got both kits started. The cabs and beds are dry fitted to the frame. The back wall, roof and doors are glued together but they are dry fitted over the cab. The seats are not in place yet as I will paint those separately. I do sub assemblies like that for easier painting. There were two different colored gray plastic parts trees in the box. As you can see, the different colors are mismatched on the two kits. I didn't take the time to match the parts and just grabbed one parts tree here and there and ended up mixing the parts haphazardly.

Here is the cargo version so far. The driver side door is missing as I will be gluing it in the open position. I just haven't glued it on yet in the photo. You can see the scratch built gas tank mounts. I also scratch built some mud guards.

This one will be a gun truck.

Family photo.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #673 on: September 06, 2022, 09:26:18 AM »
Personally, I think your scratch built stuff looks good.

Something along the lines of what Frank said: Russian vehicles, even military ones, frequently look to be cobbled together from numerous sources to keep them running, & the metal work done to modify the vehicles looks to have been done in a backyard workshop by someone with only a passing understanding of what tools are & who had a brief affair with a welder back in high school.

You're doing fine! Don't sweat it, Brother! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #674 on: September 06, 2022, 09:45:19 PM »
Personally, I think your scratch built stuff looks good.

Something along the lines of what Frank said: Russian vehicles, even military ones, frequently look to be cobbled together from numerous sources to keep them running, & the metal work done to modify the vehicles looks to have been done in a backyard workshop by someone with only a passing understanding of what tools are & who had a brief affair with a welder back in high school.

You're doing fine! Don't sweat it, Brother! :smiley:

Thanks! It will definitely look like the parts were cobbled together with my mediocre scratch building skills.