Author Topic: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's  (Read 49020 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Re: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's
« Reply #650 on: June 19, 2022, 12:48:23 AM »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #651 on: June 19, 2022, 01:19:23 AM »
The craft stores such as Michael's, HobbyLobby, and Joannes have a lot of those shiny mylar bits in various sizes/shapes.  Some are almost perfect for small display screens without any trimming required.  The rest are large enough to work with using scissors or a hobby knife to get the size down to what you need.  Quantities are usually sold in bag containing way more than you will ever use up in three life times or more. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #652 on: June 19, 2022, 01:49:35 AM »
I found these clear plastic sheets on Amazon that may work for anti-reflection coatings: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=iridescent+plastic+sheet&crid=2WK7NFC27OE3R&sprefix=irridescent+plastic+sheet%2Caps%2C116&ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_1_24

Thanks for the link to the iridescent sheets.

I found this one that says it has an adhesive. I might give this one a try.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083XSL66F/?coliid=I3EW69OB3RTPQ1&colid=39MPF2T0XF9MD&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

The craft stores such as Michael's, HobbyLobby, and Joannes have a lot of those shiny mylar bits in various sizes/shapes.  Some are almost perfect for small display screens without any trimming required.  The rest are large enough to work with using scissors or a hobby knife to get the size down to what you need.  Quantities are usually sold in bag containing way more than you will ever use up in three life times or more. 

I did get some party favors from the dollar store that has the colored mylar. Those are what I used for the view ports on the Trumpeter LAV-25 and Zvezda BMPT Terminator-2. I remembered to mask the view ports on the LAV-25 but totally forgot to mask the ones on the BMPT.

Here are the party favors with the colored mylar.

Here is the colored mylar used on the LAV and BMPT.

I found this photo of a BMPT and noticed only the commander's panoramic sight shows the iridescent blue.

I did manage to clean off the primer off most of the clear parts and the blue mylar behind them can be seen again. I need to mask them off and prime those areas again as some of the primer came off when I used the cotton swabs dipped in thinner to clean off the clear parts. Even though the above image shows the two bigger, lower view ports clear, I have to leave the blue mylar as it was added behind the clear parts. I would have to break the hull apart to get the clear parts off to take the mylar off.

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #653 on: June 22, 2022, 07:04:02 AM »
<...>
Most GAZ Tigr's have the interior camouflaged but mine won't be. Zvezda didn't include the interior camo decals like Meng did but not all GAZ Tigr's have the interior camouflaged though. My roof hatch will be closed anyway and you really can't see much of the interior anyway if the roof hatch and doors are closed. <...>

Ran into the same issue - no decals - building Suyata's 1/48* T-90 and Tigr - no decals. Was too lazy to paint the camo and since roof hatch doors on mine were also going to be closed, I decided to just prime the whole interior black and drybrush the heck out of it with a light grey. Even though it was a really light grey, you can't see any of it through the windows. So... good choice. Being lazy was actually just being smart.  :icon_beer:

*Greg, just so you don't get any funny ideas: these are armour kits, so 1/48 is cool.  :P
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #654 on: June 22, 2022, 11:41:44 PM »
Ran into the same issue - no decals - building Suyata's 1/48* T-90 and Tigr - no decals. Was too lazy to paint the camo and since roof hatch doors on mine were also going to be closed, I decided to just prime the whole interior black and drybrush the heck out of it with a light grey. Even though it was a really light grey, you can't see any of it through the windows. So... good choice. Being lazy was actually just being smart.  :icon_beer:

Thanks for the tip! How do you like the Suyata 1/48 T-90 and Tigr set?

I am just going to airbrush the rear interior an overall light tan/khaki color. I won't spend too much time on it. As you said, with the doors and hatches closed, you won't see any of the interior anyway. The front interior can be seen better though so will work on that area with more care. I am going to concentrate on the exterior camo.