Author Topic: Artesania Latina Cutty Sark  (Read 32636 times)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
  • The man has paddle wheels on the brain...
Artesania Latina Cutty Sark
« on: October 01, 2019, 03:05:01 AM »
Hi all i bought this off my brother (he decided it was too frustrating for him) there are a few problems to sort out on it (I need to strip the decking off and square the frame up , it's a bit warped) he took the planking off which has saved me a job (he bought some really thin wood for the planking as he struggled with the supplied wood but it's so thin I can see it disappearing when sanded do I'm going to use the supplied wood) here are some pics, I've managed to get the deck off fairly easily getting the wood off the deck and squaring the frame may be quite a bit harder.
This will be a very slow build.

I think the pins hes used in the transom are way out of scale.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
Re: Artesania Latina Cutty Sark
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 12:14:21 AM »
Hi all well I've removed the deck planking squared up the frame and are attached the front decking. I thought I would get away with doing nothing to the rear deck but on closer inspection I think he put the last 2 bulkhead the wrong way round since the second to last is narrower than the last (the phrase one step forward 2 back comes to mind) anyway I managed to get the rear deck off now I'm not sure what to do the frames seem to be impossible to unglue, any suggestions (I've tried steaming over a kettle but they won't budge) would it hurt the plywood if I soaked the stern in a bucket over night.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 12:50:51 AM »
Fairly good chance it will damage the plywood, as it will soak up water & swell. I'd also hazard a fairly good guess that either the water or the swelling of the wood will damage the adhesive between the layers & you'll get them de-laminating.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 02:58:57 AM »
Hi all corrected the bulkheads next problem, now the side panels are correctly installed you can see the stern is too shallow so I will probably build this up with wood filler.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 08:57:01 AM »
You ever get that feeling you'd be better off tossing this in the bin & starting afresh? ??? ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 05:31:53 PM »
You ever get that feeling you'd be better off tossing this in the bin & starting afresh? ??? ;)

Only with 9 out of 10 builds.
 :-\
Brian da Basher

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 03:17:05 AM »

That was always an option back when kits were cheap.  Now not so much when you are faced with tossing something in to the bin that cost more than a full tank of fuel for your vehicle. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 06:46:42 AM »

That was always an option back when kits were cheap.  Now not so much when you are faced with tossing something in to the bin that cost more than a full tank of fuel for your vehicle.

It doesn't stop the feeling, though. ;)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2019, 12:59:07 AM »
Well 1 step backwards leads to another step backwards, deck had to come off again. I was about to start planking it again and I thought surely that hump shouldn't be there.

Also I dont know if you can see it from the photo but there is a gap between the bulkhead and the deck (I thought the small oblong hole in the decking was a hatch or something at first but now I see it is a locating peg for the decking) another wrongly glued bulkhead. 

I managed to get the bulkhead off (it wasn't fully home due to wood dust and glue formed at the bottom of the joint) (all nicely held in place with dried glue) took ages to cut it all away, anyway as you can see it's all nicely flush and fitted now.

Hopefully I can now proceed as if it were a new kit (apart from the splits in all the bulkheads due to where it was planked before cant think of anything to do about that, if I glue them back together I think it will make it too hard to put new pins in) I'm hoping when its replanked I can drill holes for the pins (they will only be for show anyway) 

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2019, 01:25:20 AM »
Gotta give ya props for perseverance and working in wood.

Brian da Basher

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2019, 01:37:29 AM »
What the man said.  I'm not at all certain I'd be that stubborn.

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2019, 05:23:39 PM »

Agree with my compatriots, good save and ten out of ten for perseverance  :smiley:

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2019, 08:49:38 PM »

Agree with my compatriots, good save and ten out of ten for perseverance  :smiley:

Mog
>^-.-^<

And another in agreeance! :smiley:

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 03:31:00 AM »
Ok so I've decided to start decking it, the instructions are not at all clear it shows you decking over the false deck by 2 mm for the first 120 mm and no longer mentions that afterwards (I can understand that as the planking for the sides is 2mm thick) but why stop that overlap at 120 mm, I looked at pics of the waterways on the actual ship and it looks like there is a wooden strip all the way along the ship from the front to the stern step so I decided to continue the strip all the way along, first problem was keeping a 4 mm wide strip at 2 mm on the deck and 2mm in the air so I decided to add the first plank on the sides and put the waterways over that, I figure the more accurate I can get the first plank the rest must be better so I took great efforts with the first plank.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 03:40:06 AM »
Hi all whilst waiting for my planking to come I decided to start on some of the many other things in this kit, here is a start on one of the cabins.

It's like a kit in its self, I have a feeling I'm going to love this kit, for the calking between the planks I used a lead pencil and just ran it along the edges of the planks.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2019, 01:46:37 AM »
Hi all I have done some of the planking I've cut the planks at 70mm which I think in this equates to 10 yards at this scale (although the planking supplied is I think is over scale at about 12"wide ) I'm not going to add the nail heads as I've seen on the printed decks available in this scale as I dont believe a nail with a head diameter of 6 mm would be visible at this scale at.

The planking is very slow going but quite satisfying.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2019, 03:32:56 AM »
Hi all well this is as far as the decking can go at the moment as I've used all the wood left in the kit for this (they were very generous with wood as it was already fully planked so they nearly give you double what you need) I just hope when the new stuff comes it's similar coloured unlike the last bit (for the waterways which were completely different colours) I realise wood is a natural product so can differ I just hope it's not too much different.

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2019, 04:01:51 AM »
Well you "walked the plank" and came out a winner!

Nice work!

Brian da Basher

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2019, 05:59:34 AM »
Having not worked with wood models this looks really difficult to build.   Perhaps you are accustomed to wood so is not extra difficult.
Either way is looking fine.  :smiley:    Keep going....

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2019, 04:04:17 AM »
Planking of the main deck complete, I've given it a coat of clear varnish to bring out the wood grain.

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2019, 08:06:40 AM »
That looks great! Now that you've "walked the plank" what's next?

Brian da Basher

Offline finsrin

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2019, 09:01:28 AM »
Neighbor built a 16-18 foot wood boat in garage.   Cutty Sark could be warm up before you do 1/1 scale.   
Impressive deck planking, good as it can get.  :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2019, 09:24:01 AM »
Awesome job, there, Mr Nuts! :icon_alabanza: :smiley:

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2019, 04:07:51 AM »
Hi all got some more of the side planking done and done a bit more to the cabin.

Offline finsrin

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2019, 06:08:45 AM »
Staggered planking play together with deck cabin as I would expect on ship of this vintage.  Captured well in this build.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 08:15:49 AM by finsrin »