Author Topic: Super Musashi and Alternate Shinano  (Read 10294 times)

Offline stevegallacci

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Super Musashi and Alternate Shinano
« on: January 19, 2012, 07:52:37 AM »
The Japanese Military Attache in Germany was VERY impressed when he was shown the work being done on the 80cm monster guns intended to smash any conceivable fortifications. And when he reported back to Japan, the IJN technical branch was even more impressed. So much so that they really, really wanted to do one better. Instead of the limited mobility of a railroad gun that needed to disassembled to travel, why not a battleship with a whole battery of similar size guns? With the superdreadnaught Yamato already under construction, could the hull take a really big upgrade in it's main armament? Not really, was the short form answer, the turret mounting hardware already fitted lacked the diameter to accomidate a bigger gun, but the second hull for what would become the Musashi was still in very preliminary construction, and could be modified. After much debate, both on the exact configuration of the gun, and ways to fit it to a ship, the best compromise design was tentatively settled on three twin turrets with 80cm rifles, a bit shorter and with a lighter projectile than the German weapon, but still with roughly comperable range and overwhelming armor penitration. Secondary weapons would do away with the fore and aft 15cm turrets and instead have broadside batteries of either four or six 15cm or 20cm turrets and six twin 12cm DP gun turrets.

A while back I began trying to correct/backdate the old Tamiya 1/350 Yamato kit, which needed a lot of slice and dice to be accurate. With the new Tamiya Yamato kit now available, the old kit is a sad shadow of the subject, so what to do with a half-chopped hulk?  Why, do something wild and wacky with it! So, I've replaced the kit main deck, cast a copy of the new Yamato superstructure (one of the weaker features of the original) and have begun to dress it all out. The new turrets will have to be scratch-built, along with a lot of details, but not anything all that difficult. I'll be fitting it with six twin 20cm turrets (typical cruiser turrets) and a bunch of triple 25mm flak. Wee!

The alternate Shinano would use a spare Yamato hull (I got an advance sample of the new Tamiya kit, not enough to do a complete build, but enough for madness) and would represent an alternate battleship/carrier version instead of the full carrier. The Nr. three turret would go away and a flight deck built up over the rear main deck (creating a extra hanger deck) and carry a pair of launch decks on each side of the ship, flanking the superstructure with only a little over-hang to the sides. The forward batteries would remain the same and the broadside DP batteries would be raised up to clear the flight deck. There would be also an additional pair of DP turrets forward and oodles of 25mm triple flak guns.

Offline RussC

• Our own personal dragon trainer...with a flying wing fetish
  • Resident Painter
Re: Super Musashi and Alternate Shinano
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 04:20:14 PM »
The Japanese Military Attache in Germany was VERY impressed when he was shown the work being done on the 80cm monster guns intended to smash any conceivable fortifications. And when he reported back to Japan, the IJN technical branch was even more impressed. So much so that they really, really wanted to do one better. Instead of the limited mobility of a railroad gun that needed to disassembled to travel, why not a battleship with a whole battery of similar size guns? With the superdreadnaught Yamato already under construction, could the hull take a really big upgrade in it's main armament? Not really, was the short form answer, the turret mounting hardware already fitted lacked the diameter to accomidate a bigger gun, but the second hull for what would become the Musashi was still in very preliminary construction, and could be modified. After much debate, both on the exact configuration of the gun, and ways to fit it to a ship, the best compromise design was tentatively settled on three twin turrets with 80cm rifles, a bit shorter and with a lighter projectile than the German weapon, but still with roughly comperable range and overwhelming armor penitration. Secondary weapons would do away with the fore and aft 15cm turrets and instead have broadside batteries of either four or six 15cm or 20cm turrets and six twin 12cm DP gun turrets.

A while back I began trying to correct/backdate the old Tamiya 1/350 Yamato kit, which needed a lot of slice and dice to be accurate. With the new Tamiya Yamato kit now available, the old kit is a sad shadow of the subject, so what to do with a half-chopped hulk?  Why, do something wild and wacky with it! So, I've replaced the kit main deck, cast a copy of the new Yamato superstructure (one of the weaker features of the original) and have begun to dress it all out. The new turrets will have to be scratch-built, along with a lot of details, but not anything all that difficult. I'll be fitting it with six twin 20cm turrets (typical cruiser turrets) and a bunch of triple 25mm flak. Wee!

The alternate Shinano would use a spare Yamato hull (I got an advance sample of the new Tamiya kit, not enough to do a complete build, but enough for madness) and would represent an alternate battleship/carrier version instead of the full carrier. The Nr. three turret would go away and a flight deck built up over the rear main deck (creating a extra hanger deck) and carry a pair of launch decks on each side of the ship, flanking the superstructure with only a little over-hang to the sides. The forward batteries would remain the same and the broadside DP batteries would be raised up to clear the flight deck. There would be also an additional pair of DP turrets forward and oodles of 25mm triple flak guns.

Kind of a advanced version of the Hyuga / Ise build. Think about an airwing of Kikka and Keiun (jet version) planes and a inclined catapult for Ohka 22's. Those 1/350 ships are amazing, so whiffs based on them should really be something to see.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 05:01:27 PM »
Those 1/350 ships are amazing, so whiffs based on them should really be something to see.

What's really amazing is Steve's deck painting technique, it has to be seen to be believed.
He had the new Yamato, the Trumpeter Roma and a Bronco 19th century Imperial Chinese
pre-dreadnought at the IPMS-Seattle meeting last Saturday, and OMG are the decks incredible.

Of course he's a friggin' artist, so we shouldn't be surprised.  ;D
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 05:57:34 PM »
Pics someone?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline stevegallacci

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 12:56:54 AM »
Quick question- how to post photos? Haven't tried yet and thought I'd ask first.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 02:38:23 AM »
You can either use the attachment function (in the section below the text box) or post using an offline host (preferred) -please see here and here or even here on some of the common techniques.

If you still have difficulty, just let me know.

Regards,

Greg

Offline stevegallacci

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 06:57:18 AM »
Photo evidence of the work in progress. The Shinano alternate doesn't have the flight deck yet, which will be an additional level.

Offline sotoolslinger

• A World Champion Blackbelt in Putty-Foo…the man means business (just look at his photo!)
  • Look at the banner and you will see his work.
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 10:14:05 AM »
Dude I am strictly not a ship guy but that is frikken brilliant. I cannot wait for the combined carrier battleship :-* :o :-* :o

Offline RussC

• Resident Painter
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 05:02:30 PM »
Hear Hear! And they even put the turret rotation bearings inside the barbettes, which can only be seen if you pull out the turrets to view them...classy, even for Tamiya!

So the flight deck will be level with the weather deck? Could be a bit wet on bad days. Since the ship hull is the widest one of the war, I might add about 30 scale feet more flight deck width each side, on nice faired sponsons. Maybe even some angled deck ?

I know , I know.... Back into your cave, you inner JMN.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 03:39:22 AM »
Looking good.  Any chance of a close up of the deck so that we can admire the paintwork that Jon is talking about?

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 04:07:05 AM »
My cup runneth over!  :-*   :)
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline stevegallacci

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 03:56:57 PM »
More progress.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 04:04:34 PM »
Mmmmm... :-*

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 02:56:29 PM »
A bit of story line:  Ship survives the war with only minor damage, is taken by U.S. and mothballed.  During 1980s defense build up it is assessed for modernization and service as was done with the Iowa class ships.  Flight deck is ski-jumped on both sides.  Helicopters, Harriers, and OV-10s are based aboard.  Elevator aft of funnel goes to hanger deck.  Main guns are retained while other WW2 guns are replaced with modern guns and missiles.  Some mix of the following:  3-inch and/or 5-inch turrets, Tomahawk/Harpoon/Standard missiles, and Phalanx.  Radars abound.

A follow on model to build !!!

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 07:44:59 AM »
Very interesting. I will keep coming back for updates on your progress. 

Offline stevegallacci

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 11:28:55 AM »
Yesterday's progress.

Offline RussC

• Resident Painter
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 03:00:55 PM »
Coming along nicely. The flight deck is up over the weather deck, which didn't show in the first pics.
Gonna be amazing!

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 05:33:39 AM »
This is fun to watch and I applaud your innovative concepts, Mr Gallacci!

Those wooden decks look every bit the real article. Amazing!

Already looking forward to your next update,
Brian da Basher

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 11:05:13 PM »
^^^^^
Agreed!

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2012, 11:30:49 PM »
Smart building! Love the structures and I can't wait to see more
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline sequoiaranger

• Gone but not forgotten. He already has a team of angels working up his bench in the sky!
  • Holding Pattern
  • E Pluribus Unum (modeling style)
Coming Along??
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2012, 06:27:33 AM »
Steve--been a long time. Any progress to show "us"??
My mind is like a compost heap--fertile AND rotten!

Offline stevegallacci

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2012, 11:46:02 PM »
I've had most of my summer tied up with an unrelated commission build, so don't have anything to show for progress. However, I've more definitively worked out details of the flight deck and the placement of additional triple 25mm guns, as well as the "histories" of the alternate Mushashi and Shinano. The Shinano will have a pair of catapults dedicated to launching modified Ohka 22s from the weather deck and another pair on the flight deck for modified N1K1 "Rex" (without the float).

Offline stevegallacci

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2015, 02:21:20 PM »
Dusting off old projects and will be getting back to these beasts. In the meantime, I've revised the 80cm guns, they are now smoothbores and the projectiles will be spun by rocket assist during charge ignition in the chamber. Further, I've worked up an anti-aricraft round for them, a simple canister load, not the incendiary scatter projectile used by other capital ships. Just a multi-ton load of 1 or 2 kilo iron cubes. I'll also be doing an Ohka 22-based two-seat trainer and floatless "Rex" catapult fighter for the alternate Shinano.

Some ship history, the Musashi will survive the war, though badly broken in the battle of the Sibuyan Sea (though suffering similar attack as the historical, better pumping and less counterflooding, as she was heavier and couldn't afford it) she was little better off than the Nagato. Was not considered seaworthy/already too compromised for useful effects tests to go to Bikini, but did get towed out to firing trails of the 80cm guns. Scrapped in '47. Shinano survived the war, drilling for a final battle that never came, the repulsion of the Home Island invasion. She was examined and was even taken out for sea trials and limited air ops to mixed results. Thoughts of keeping her in some roll were countered by her excessive weight, slower speed, and somewhat iffy wartime construction and she was scrapped in '48.