Author Topic: Realistic alternative RAN FAA options  (Read 10325 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Realistic alternative RAN FAA options
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2022, 12:56:04 AM »
Highly unlikely, far too "hot".
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2022, 03:51:26 AM »

CFBVs

Audacious class "HMAS Melbourne". Two RAN F-4Ks sitting on the catapults, with a gaggle of British F-4Ks or Sea Vixens and Buccaneers parked around the deck.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 03:56:20 AM by GTX_Admin »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2022, 03:54:35 PM »
The two ocean navy concept was pushed by ex PM Malcom Fraser when he was defence minister 69-71.  This two ocean navy was meant to have three CTOL carriers and 23 destroyers and frigates.

I first became aware of this via a conversation I had with a FAA member in the mid 80s and assumed it referred to multiple STOVL carriers, I later discovered via old periodicals in the uni library, that it referred to announcements and statements made by Fraser when Def min.

There have been stories over the years of ex RN carriers, Hermes for instance in her CTOL config but also Eagle.  Victorious also (possibly) just fits this time frame as she wasn't listed for disposal until 1969.