Author Topic: TSR.2 Ideas and Inspiration  (Read 30556 times)

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
TSR.2 Ideas and Inspiration
« on: October 05, 2012, 11:04:27 AM »
I have 3 in the stash.

One will be CAF (XtraDecals CF-109A), one a USAF F-120A and I was thinking for the third to have a multi-wheel boogie, canards (boring?), AIM-47Ds and other missilely things.

I also found this cool Spectrum Mistel with Angel Interceptor  while searching Google images.

Thoughts?

Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
Re: TSR.2 Ideas and Inspiration
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 06:36:14 PM »
I started this one a while ago (top pics), it hasn't got much further than this though  ----   :-X (bottom pics)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 06:38:05 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 06:42:47 PM »
I had to really give it some thought how I was going to fix the transition point between the forward fuselage and the rest of it but I came up with this idea.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 07:01:59 PM »
Nice job Robert.

That's the air intake to support the A/C system which cools very hot electronics bay. Right?  :)

Whose canopy is that?

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 09:58:13 PM »
Nice job Robert.

That's the air intake to support the A/C system which cools very hot electronics bay. Right?  :)

Whose canopy is that?

That's right, there will be another cooling duct on the other side once it's finished (or I get back at it ) I'm also opening up the exits for the cooling air (top pic)

The whole front end comes from a Tornado, I did a fancy 'Z' cut on the TSR2 fuselage (second pic) then cut the Tornado fuselage to suit (third pic). In the last pic you can see how it came together.  The two fuselage widths are pratically the same where they contact each other, this could be just the quirks of the kits though (both Airfix).  There's a panel line on the TSR2 kit which slopes down so I cut along it, I then made the Tornado part slope down at the same angle which required some under fuselage filler.  I thought that if I cut the 'Z' cut I then wouldn't need so much filler in that place.  I thought if I use the 'shelf' that runs beside the Tornado canopy it would lead right into an air scoop, it worked out quite well.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 10:11:31 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 10:18:20 PM »
BTW, this will be a 617 Sqn. aircraft, and in keeping with it's history at precision bombing (and using large bombs), it will be armed with this very large laser guided bomb (a converted Tallboy) (top pic).  Which fit's in the bomb bay quite snuggly (second pic).  Last pic to give you an idea how big it is, here it is next to a British Grand Slam and a T12
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 09:02:48 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 09:30:04 PM »
Initially I was going to do this in the top pic but as usual, things progressed from there.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 09:32:21 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 09:49:54 PM »
Robert:

Where did you source the large drop tanks from?

Carl

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 09:55:08 PM »
I have two in the stash.  1 will be finished as a German aircraft and the other as an Italian.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 11:57:29 PM »
Robert:

Where did you source the large drop tanks from?

Carl

From another Tornado Carl, this time the Monogram 1/72 Tornado IDS "Gulf War" rebox.  The wings swing and the stores pylons swivel too and they're the snap-in type so when I packed my models for the house move a few years ago I had removed the pylons for ease of packing.  It looks like the artist in the picture must have had the same kit because the parts from the Tornado are almost identical, even the laser designator comes with the kit.

One thing though, if you use the correct pylon attaching points on the TSR2, the missile rail on the Tornado pylon is best positioned so it's on the inside towards the fuselage.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 12:06:00 AM »
Here's another inspiring picture, this is the print that came with the Airfix Club Members offering of the TSR2.  I took it to a professional framer to get it properly framed and the framer told me that the print is an exceptionally good one and is done on a particular type of paper/cloth that needs stretching when it's framed.  He told me the print was worth about C$200   :o  and it came free with the kit.  I haven't got it framed yet because the cost to that was a bit expensive at the time.  I think I'll get it done sometime in the near future.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 12:09:54 AM »
Thanks Robert.

I did some research since (should have done this first) and I see the Tornado F3 is what I need to get the tanks and pylon.

Nice job the "delta box". Is that a Mirage IV beside the Arrow?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 12:13:26 AM by The Big Gimper »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 12:16:27 AM »

Yup!

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 12:24:01 AM »

Yup!

Cool. I have 2 of those so it is interesting to see how the size comparison between all the A/C you have in this box.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 12:28:55 AM »
Thanks Robert.
I did some research since (should have done this first) and I see the Tornado F3 is what I need to get the tanks and pylon.

Umm! I think actually the tanks I used did come from an F.3 (which is in the 'delta box too).  I built this quite a while ago and I think some RW photos appeared at the time showing the IDS's equipped with these tanks so I swapped them over.  Been a while and I can't remember what I did now.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 12:31:05 AM »

Yup!

Cool. I have 2 of those so it is interesting to see how the size comparison between all the A/C you have in this box.

'nother pic of the box for you Carl.  I should mention that the Arrow kit is the Hobbycraft one, and it actually measures out as about 1/75 scale
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 12:33:43 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 01:35:41 AM »
Thanks Robert.

Umm! I think actually the tanks I used did come from an F.3 (which is in the 'delta box too).  I built this quite a while ago and I think some RW photos appeared at the time showing the IDS's equipped with these tanks so I swapped them over.  Been a while and I can't remember what I did now.

That makes sense. Since I do not have any Tonkas in the stash, I'm thinking of the Tamiya F.3 as the donor kit as it has the two Sidewinder rails per pylon ($16 @ Ebay ) and an Italeri IDS ($17 @ Luckymodel) as it has all 4 pylons. Both for $31 @ Hobbyeasy.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 02:48:28 AM by The Big Gimper »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 04:22:04 AM »
You can also buy the Tornado Hindenburg tanks by themselves.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline deathjester

• 'Remember - Tiredness Kills Hedgehogs...!'
  • His Mother-in-law has Tardis pockets...
    • stormfront models
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 04:26:50 AM »
If you try Freightdog Models, I think they still do the TSR2 Conformal Belly Tank, and they may do other drop tanks for her too...?

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 04:32:56 AM »
You can also buy the Tornado Hindenburg tanks by themselves.

In 1/72 Greg ? where ?

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2012, 04:34:02 AM »
Thanks Robert.

That makes sense. Since I do not have any Tonkas in the stash, I'm thinking of the Tamiya F.3 as the donor kit as it has the two Sidewinder rails per pylon ($16 @ Ebay ) and an Italeri IDS ($17 @ Luckymodel) as it has all 4 pylons. Both for $31 @ Hobbyeasy.

My F.3 is the Airfix kit and it definitely has (had) the big tanks.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2012, 05:36:25 AM »
If you try Freightdog Models, I think they still do the TSR2 Conformal Belly Tank, and they may do other drop tanks for her too...?

About a year ago Colin @ Freightdog had a small fire sale so I was able to pick up the Conformal Belly Tank and two Bluewater pylons. I'm going to use these on my USAF F-120A along with I think two of Colin's 300 Gal A-4 tanks.  I was thinking of using AGM-69s as the primary payload.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 07:06:57 AM by The Big Gimper »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2012, 07:13:27 AM »
Some time ago and on 'The What-If Forum', Evan had suggested that for really big tanks on the 1/72 TSR2 (1000 Gal.), was to use the 1/48 AV-8B tanks
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 07:52:25 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2012, 07:17:59 AM »

About a year ago Colin @ Freightdog had a small fire sale so I was able to pick up the Conformal Belly Tank and two Bluewater pylons. I'm going to use these on my USAF F-120A along with I think two of Colin's 300 Gal A-4 tanks.  I was thinking of using AGM-69s as the primary payload.

On my build I'm also using the 'Bluewater' pylons, in my backstory I'm having these packed with ECM equipment instead of the usual gizmos. I like the air vent on the rear of the pylon and seemed to me just right for cooling electrical gear once an appropriate air intake along the pylon sides has been made..

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2012, 07:48:44 AM »
Those Harrier tanks would fit like this