Author Topic: Lockheed KC-141 Starfueler  (Read 895 times)

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
Lockheed KC-141 Starfueler
« on: January 20, 2023, 10:41:34 AM »
No backstory with this one, it's worn me out. I am very pleased with some of the stuff I accomplished with this. Lots of masking to avoid having long thin decals breaking. Some fairly good (for me) freehand painting of a lot area around the nose.  Recovering some deals from potential disaster.

There were troubles. I should have firmly installed the gear doors before attaching the wings, access wasn't easy after they're on. I should have located the boom operator station a little further back and up the curve, the gear is short and it would receive a few bashes during hard landings.

But it's done, and one more cleared for take-off to the shelf.

The kit is the 1/200th product from Dragon, and it's quite nice. The Starlifter is an attractive aircraft, and I think this product does it justice. It was originally going to be a 'real world' example, but when I found a 1/200th KC-10A by Hasegawa, inspiration hit. Let's face it, it isnt a common scale, and to find two aircraft that scale is like a gift you can't pass up. Base colour is good old Tamiya Fine White primer, the others are Revell Aqua. Leading edges are AK True Metal paste. Decals obviously came from the KC-10A the only one used from the Dragon sheet is the marking ahead of the refueling point.

I haven't put a clear coat on, didn't want to take the chance of it ruining the whole thing and seeing all that work go for naught.

1 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

2 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

3 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

4 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

5 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

6 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

7 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

8 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: Lockheed KC-141 Starfueler
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 12:00:43 PM »
I often wondered what a Starlifter tanker would look like and you have managed to achieve that concept.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2023, 09:30:04 PM »
That would be one big flying gas station! Well done!

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2023, 12:40:51 AM »
It looks fantastic! The decals and finish are great and the refueling boom looks like it was designed for it.

1/200 is a common scale for diecast airplane collectors, so both Dragon and Hasegawa may have been trying to offer a kit for that crowd.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2023, 05:34:09 AM »
Quite the build surprise  :icon_surprised:    A new career for C-141.
Looks like it should/would before low visibility finishes were rolled out.    Good looking scheme indeed  :smiley:   Like that used paints you did.
Good photography.   Is sky background from wallpaper roll or what ?

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2023, 11:50:42 AM »
Quite the build surprise  :icon_surprised:    A new career for C-141.
Looks like it should/would before low visibility finishes were rolled out.    Good looking scheme indeed  :smiley:   Like that used paints you did.
Good photography.   Is sky background from wallpaper roll or what ?

Thanks! The background is a poster board I picked up at an office supply store. Not in stock at the moment, but I really should pick up a new one someday.
https://www.staples.ca/products/35820-en-geographics-clouds-design-poster-board-22x28
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2023, 07:05:23 AM »
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles during the build but the end result is wonderful!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates