Author Topic: Metaluna Mutant/Uncle Scrotor/Morbo's Cousin  (Read 1987 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Metaluna Mutant/Uncle Scrotor/Morbo's Cousin
« on: June 04, 2022, 08:22:48 AM »
I finished the Atlantis 1/12 Metaluna Mutant. Pretty basic kit - that hardest part was finding an accurate on-screen color representation. There are none - all the scenes with the mutant are either dark or have a wierd color balance. So I found a replica of the original suit, I took some screen grabs from an excellent copy of the movie and went with those.

Mammmy!:

Baby got back - or a carapace:

With mini movie poster:

With Mystery Science Theater 3000 The Movie DVD, swapping out the posters:

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
Re: Metaluna Mutant/Uncle Scrotor/Morbo's Cousin
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2022, 08:32:55 AM »
 That came out great-and the little nod to the MST3K treatment is wonderful. It sure looks like the right shade of technicolor blue to me!

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2022, 12:11:03 PM »
Well, at least he was wearing pants! Don't want to know what the rest of him might have looked like.
Really nice job!

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2022, 12:42:32 PM »
I'm not sure he's wearing pants! In the movie, the pant leg just seems to blend into the foot. It's a weird costume.

The model combines "Mystery Science Theater 3000" - which I love - and "This Island Earth", which is a classic 1950's Science Fiction movie. The plot falls apart towards the end, but it's still good. The "Uncle Scrotor" line comes from the MST3K riff when he tries to grab Faith Domergue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cZZ4xkgUBg
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 02:48:05 AM by Frank3k »

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2022, 10:56:01 PM »
 I haven't built  a figure kit in ages, but like the semi-recent Krogar the Gorilla man suit, it is in my favorite figure scale. I might have to buy two, because the temptation to do a Morbo conversion (DOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM!) is mighty strong...

Just for future reference, what blue or mix of blue did you use for the overall skin tone?

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2022, 01:01:20 AM »
I'm not a large scale figure builder, either - the Kogar kit is tempting, especially with the alternate heads. That kit is interesting because it was sculpted by Jeff Yagher, who went from a lackluster career as a TV/movie hunk to one of the premier figure sculptors in the modelling world.

The blue was a 1:1 mix of AK Interactive 3rd Gen Ducat Blue acrylic and an old Testors acrylic that was compatible with the AK chemistry. This AK Blue Violet is almost the exact shade

The pants are in Ducat blue.

If you do get any of the AK paints, get their thinner or a bottle of the Vallejo acrylic thinner. The paint is great (very dense pigmentation for all colors) but it does not like alcohol as a thinner.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 01:04:01 AM by Frank3k »

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2022, 03:48:44 AM »
It's This Island Earth;)
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2022, 06:25:40 AM »
Looks good to me.

One of my club mates is a 40-s-50's-60's Schlock Sci Fi film character nutter, where he finds the figures/models/kits is sometimes beyond me.
His version of this was different colour, but I think his version was an old Resin kit he dug up of the interwebnet.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2022, 02:51:06 AM »
Thanks, Jon - I changed it.

Brain - there are so many color variations on the mutant! I think anything in the blueish gray to deep blue range is OK. I just noticed that the video clip I posted shows that the hands are blue, not red like I painted them (and the way the replica suit has them). I'm debating if I should repaint them.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2022, 04:49:38 AM »
... shows that the hands are blue, not red like I painted them (and the way the replica suit has them). I'm debating if I should repaint them.

Depends how accurate you want to be (which sounds like a vermiculate can, in this case). In favour of inaccuracy is that the red hands give a pop of contrasting colour while tying in with the belt and (?) chest band thingy.
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2022, 10:22:51 AM »
...and (?) chest band thingy.

I've been told It's not a bra!

There's also more than one Mutant (or "Mew Tant", as Exeter the Fivehead pronounces it) so maybe this one had the equivalent of a manicure:

https://youtu.be/DCT4xTywUEA?t=4347

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2022, 11:33:09 AM »
I've been told It's not a bra!...

A pity ... mammary glands would make the Metaluna Mutant unique amongst arthropod-o-forms  ;D
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."