Author Topic: Bison Patrol  (Read 6724 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Bison Patrol
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2022, 10:56:51 PM »
That's a bugger! :icon_crap:

Well, there is the Whif World option; you can paint it whatever colours you want (as long as the paint works ;)).
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2022, 11:12:02 PM »
Well it is Soviet so I can’t get very imaginative with it. Or I could give some sexy blue, grey and white scheme and say the painter was shot and then sent to Siberia.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2022, 04:47:10 AM »
Well, the paint has been an epic fail...

Oh, that is brutal! And it was looking so shiningly promising  :(

Strange how Easy Off oven cleaner removed most of the silver but left a slimy residue while the brake fluid removed the slimy residue and the white but has a very slow effect on the silver. Organic chemistry I suppose.

Fingers crossed to appease those whimsical sprites of chemical interactions.

Please press on ... this concept is too good to abandon (and that kit too rare from the sounds of it)  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Kerick

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2022, 06:46:29 AM »
I’m not giving up although my wife is going in for surgery a week from Thursday so probably not much model time after that. Scratched up a couple of fictitious anti ship missiles and tried to paint them with the same white I have used on other things just fine and that went bad too. I had sprayed them lightly with the white, saw that it was giving little bubbles and dimples so I stopped there. I sanded off the bad spots then sprayed a completely different paint and the unsanded parts wrinkled up like an old prune. You’d think I would learn by now! So that went into the trash too. No more painting until I get good hobby paints. The Bison is stripped as well as it’s going to be and needs sanding to remove leftovers and smooth the surface again. Good thing I don’t mind PSR. The surface of that thing is so many colors right now it’s crazy.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2022, 10:35:53 AM »
I’m not giving up although my wife is going in for surgery a week from Thursday so probably not much model time after that. Scratched up a couple of fictitious anti ship missiles and tried to paint them with the same white I have used on other things just fine and that went bad too. I had sprayed them lightly with the white, saw that it was giving little bubbles and dimples so I stopped there. I sanded off the bad spots then sprayed a completely different paint and the unsanded parts wrinkled up like an old prune. You’d think I would learn by now! So that went into the trash too. No more painting until I get good hobby paints. The Bison is stripped as well as it’s going to be and needs sanding to remove leftovers and smooth the surface again. Good thing I don’t mind PSR. The surface of that thing is so many colors right now it’s crazy.

Sounds like there's still release agent on the surface of the plastic, or it's too slick & resistant for paint to adhere to. You may want to sand or lightly scour the whole thing.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Kerick

« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2022, 02:52:16 PM »
Straight up polystyrene back from who knows when. I don’t get it at all. Never had these problems before and now I can’t get anything right! I shouldn’t say anything as the helicopters have gone well so far. Unless you count the first attempt at the Apache. That was a do over for several reasons.
The Bison is back to its original green color and I’m rebuilding the missiles after that fail. I just can’t believe these paints can’t work together. Same brand and everything. It’s nutso!!!

Offline Kerick

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2022, 12:58:19 PM »
A couple of pics to catch up.

Back to green plastic. I have since sanded with a much finer paper and it looks much better.

I built two completely fictitious missiles out of the forward 3/4 of F-104 tanks, wings from other missiles and small LGB fins. Green and black was the grossest color combo I've found so I went with that. I brush liquid glue over the Bondo putty as its porous and soaks up the first coat of paint and shows up otherwise. The glue acts like a primer, sealing the surface.

This real one looks like grey over white.

Many pics look like NMF but others look more like an aluminum dope color.

I might do grey over white or a light aircraft grey that looks more like hemp......?

Offline apophenia

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2022, 11:08:39 AM »
That is some serious chem-strip and PSRing!

.. Many pics look like NMF but others look more like an aluminum dope color...

That does have an aluminum paint look about it. But, I like your notion of  "a light aircraft grey that looks more like hemp"  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Kerick

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2022, 01:36:22 PM »
I was at the NIMCON show in Crystal Lake IL today. I picked up some red star decals that should work perfectly. I added some antenna on top of the fuselage and a better radome underneath. I should be ready for paint very soon. Wish me luck!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2022, 02:59:06 PM »
Good luck! :smiley:

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2022, 04:54:54 PM »
Yes "Good luck",  do want this to work out !

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2022, 06:03:33 PM »
Definitely good luck!

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Kerick

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2022, 02:13:25 AM »
I’ll be using Testors or Model Masters hobby paints so it should be better..

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2022, 01:18:43 PM »
Quite interested in this build 8)

Offline Kerick

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2022, 10:56:48 PM »
Sprayed on some Testors gloss white yesterday. Looks pretty good! It’s in the drying oven that is my garage right now.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2022, 09:17:10 PM »
Masked off and sprayed on the “camo grey” that sure has a lot of brown in it. I’ll call it the Russian attempt at hemp. Most of it looks pretty good but there is a couple of small wrinkles that I may or may not mess with. Just ready to put this one on the shelf on a stand asap.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2022, 01:07:04 PM »
Here are some photos of progress so far. The paint went on pretty well. Only a couple spots look troublesome. These I will just spray paint in a jar and use a brush to touch up. Just the usual spots where the grey/gray crept under the masking tape and two spots where it seemed to pull back as it dried.

No idea what caused that. The only thing I can think of is the fact that I sprayed over gloss white instead of flat. The rest looks good. It wasn't going to be a contest winner so I'll just touch it up and call it good enough for government work! Here's the overall look.

Its like a fish, darker on top and white on the bottom.
Here's a closer look at the lumps and bumps I added. Completely fictional yet provides some visual interest. Of course there is the usual fuel tank half, some parts from a Bf-109 kit, hump shaped pieces cut from a small aircraft wheel and plastic strips similar to photos I saw of real Bisons.

Any one know what might aproximate the gross green color the Soviets used on dielectric panels and radomes? I'm thinking of that trapezoid panel that's always on the fin of MiG 21s and others.

And BTW, I bought a bag of new spray can nozzles of different types on Amazon so I don't have to waste good paint because of clogged nozzles. I think sometimes the can sprays poorly because the face of the nozzle gets dried paint on it even after spraying upside down. The paint comes out but the pattern and droplet size sucks. Sometimes a new nozzle helps, sometimes not.
I might actually finish this one on time!!!

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2022, 03:31:36 PM »
Good stuff.   You be rockin-n-rollin now !

Offline apophenia

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2022, 06:50:46 AM »
Looking good! And great call on the 'hemp' grey  :smiley:

Offline Kerick

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2022, 11:12:44 PM »
Touch ups are completed and the radomes painted. I found some European dark green that looks ugly enough. Plus a black anti glare panel. Not bad. I need to spray gloss and then decals.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2022, 12:14:26 PM »
Did the touch up and detail paint and then sprayed on some clear gloss. I was holding my breath the whole time. it came out like it was supposed to and here's what it looks like.

Busted out the decals and micro set and sol. The only trouble maker was the set of numbers for the tail. They each broke into three pieces but I was able to push them together enough to be usable.

The others all went on great. It took several pieces to put together the cockpit windshield. I discovered several spots where there was spots from my dirty fingers or lint had settled on the wet clear coat. Some very careful scraping removed most of them without exposing the plastic.

Here it is temporarily placed on its stand. Soon I'll have to find a shelf wide enough to place it on. Some more detail painting around the engine exhaust and some flat clear and its done.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2022, 12:50:39 PM »
Ooh! Nice! 8) :smiley:

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2022, 12:17:27 AM »
The ison came out great, especially considering what you started with and all the problems you had with the silver paint. It looks good on the stand.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2022, 01:44:23 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2022, 04:01:49 AM »
Oh, that is pretty! Great save  :smiley: