Author Topic: Bison Patrol  (Read 6729 times)

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
Bison Patrol
« on: May 09, 2022, 03:23:30 AM »
Here's what I'm starting with. It's the old 1956 Revell box scale 1/169th scale Bison bomber. I've had it in the drawer of doom for so long I can't remember where or when I acquired it. I just got it out and decided it's time to do something with it and this would be a great opportunity. I checked some photos and this model is a whiff in a box to begin with. So I'll be adding some lumps and bumps.

Since the GB has started I have removed what remained of the gun turrets, added a "stinger" cone in place of the tail guns and filled in the landing gear openings. More pics as the PSR progresses. I never had the gear or any other parts for it so this will end up on a brass rod when finished.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 03:39:16 AM by Kerick »

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: Bison Patrol
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 04:35:42 AM »
Too cool! I notice that Revell called this an "IL-38 Bison" ... so NATO codename has to be 'May;D

Also, Revell puts that box-scale at 1/169. Any plans to scale-o-rama your Myasishchev?
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Kerick

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 08:48:57 AM »
The canopy on this one is a total glue bomb so a 1/72nd cockpit and canopy might be a good idea. I’ll have to consider it. I think I have a Skyhawk canopy lying around.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 07:43:47 AM by Kerick »

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 06:03:44 AM »
Really interested in this.
I have the 1/72 vac form in the stack-o-shame, mostly because it is a monster.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 07:50:08 AM »
1/72nd scale would be a real beastie! This aircraft is much larger than I first thought. And with a vacuform you would have your work “cut out” for you!

Offline Kerick

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2022, 10:16:38 AM »
Not only was the canopy a mess but now it walked off the work desk and disappeared. No real loss at all so I’ll just fill in the opening with plastic and place some blue decal instead. I’m going to try making some bubble windows by heating the end of a clear sprue until it forms a half round shape. Most of the PSR is done except little touch ups.

Online Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2022, 11:18:56 AM »
 :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2022, 11:59:26 PM »
Out of 'drawer of doom' into the light to become MPA.   Nice for vintage Bison to get a life.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2022, 11:12:00 AM »
It’s more than about time for it! I’ve almost chosen to cut off the wings for other projects but I’m glad I didn’t.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2022, 12:41:58 PM »
Most PSR is done. Glued white plastic in place of the wind screen a sanded that to the proper shape. I replaced the prop spinner with the nose from an old F-18 to give a more late model shape. Time for antenna and the IFR probe. I made the observation domes seen in most pics by heating the end of a clear sprue until it melts into a rounded dome like shape. I’m going to try the natural metal top and very light grey bottom as seen in most of the Bison pics. I drilled out the engine intakes as they looked terrible. Exhaust is just as bad but if I drill that out it will be a see through engine space. I’ll think of something. I could stuff in bits of black foam to block that. These intakes are round and should be oval anyway. I’ll have to invent a story line to cover that.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2022, 11:50:58 AM »
I added the parts as I described and then started with some silver paint. Its all one "tone" right now but I'll try varying the shade with flat and gloss on different panels. It worked on the external tanks for an X-15 so it might work here.

All the pictures of a Bison bomber show what appears to be an off white/very light grey underside. It might just be weathered. I might have to mix up something or just go with white. Also, I've already managed to break off the IFR probe. At least I found it on the floor!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 12:10:54 PM by Kerick »

Online Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2022, 10:33:11 PM »
Looks like one of those executive desktop models, right now! ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2022, 11:29:41 PM »
Very nice work Ken.

How did the Krylon paint work out?
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Kerick

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2022, 12:29:40 AM »
So far so good.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2022, 07:56:24 AM »
 :-* very space-age.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2022, 08:29:38 AM »
Actually a couple areas have some orange peel. Wouldn’t make it in a car contest.
The underside paint will cover the worst. I’ll see what flat and gloss coat does.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2022, 09:06:33 AM »
Everyone I seen was green.   Silver leaves that in the dust and looks Buck Rogers.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2022, 09:59:37 AM »
I’ll definitely use this paint on any more future b movie spaceships!

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2022, 06:33:12 AM »
Zing !!!

looking great

Offline Kerick

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2022, 01:24:00 PM »
I was looking at the underside under different lighting today and noticed I could see the shadow of the raised outline for the Russian stars that I had sanded off! The white or very light gray paint should take care of that.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 09:25:48 PM by Kerick »

Offline RayS

• Occasional Whiffer
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2022, 08:02:04 PM »
Lovely paint! looks great
Ray

Offline Kerick

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2022, 06:04:17 AM »
The silver paint is still a little tacky. I’ll have to let it cure some more. I sprayed silver on a scrap of plastic, let it dry a couple days and sprayed it with the white I’m planning to use. Came out a little fishy but maybe letting the silver cure some more and spraying light coats might work.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2022, 12:57:37 PM »
I've been gone the last two days and the silver paint seems much better. I'll give it a few more days and check again.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2022, 01:29:36 PM »
Well, the paint has been an epic fail.

The silver paint was still soft and the masking tape I used pulled up the upper surface of the silver. Plus the white seemed to dissolve some of the silver paint. It's hard to see in the pics but the white has all kinds of bubbles and dimples in it. And the white paint was bad when I sprayed it on a couple of missiles I had scratched together. So both of those paint cans are in the trash and the Bison is soaking in brake fluid as I type.

I don't know why I didn't trash the whole thing except I'll probably never see one of these kits again.

Strange how Easy Off oven cleaner removed most of the silver but left a slimy residue while the brake fluid removed the slimy residue and the white but has a very slow effect on the silver. Organic chemistry I suppose.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2022, 01:47:30 PM »
I've seen a couple of pics where the Bison appears to be a light grey on top and white on the bottom I'll have to consider that.