Author Topic: Miles G1 Gyromagister  (Read 3070 times)

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
Re: Miles G1 Gyromagister
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2022, 04:13:26 AM »
Finally finished complete with a small back story, the beginning of which I have shamelessly pinched from apophenia, apologies and thanks apophenia I couldn't have put something that good together  ;)

The Miles G1 Autogyro

When George Miles of Miles Aircraft made inquiries at Cathcart about the Autodynamic Rotor Head, James Weir was happy to sell Miles the rights.⁹

Once FG Miles approved the sale, Maxine 'Blossom' Miles undertook the redesign of an M.14 Hawk Trainer III airframe to accept the ARH. Initially, known as the M.14G, the autogyro was later redesigned G.1 (in Miles Aircraft's new 'G for Gyro' category) and renamed Gyromagister (to be in line with the rebranding of the fixed-wing M.14 trainer).

By then war was imminent it was obvious to Miles that there was going to be a lack of maritime patrol aircraft which led to  the design being radically altered, exchanging the existing Gypsy engine for a more powerful radial, increasing the number of rotor blades to three and fitting a large fuel tank under the pilots seats gave  the aircraft increased range and duration plus the ability to carry 300 pounds of ordinance.

The ordinance consisted a combination of 100 pound anti submarine bombs and droppable life rafts on four hard points either side of the fuel tank.

Tests showed that the Gyromagister had excellent handling and range and could drop its payload reasonably accurately by hovering into wind. However, despite its strong construction, it was very much at the mercy of the English weather, when compared to conventional aircraft, and when it was found that the anti submarine bombs were less than useless against their intended target it was decided to cancel the the project so as not to interrupt existing production lines.

The only example of this aircraft was thought to have been stored for a while then subsequently  scrapped.

However there was a rumour at this time that the Gyromagister had been brought out of store and fitted with new bomb racks that could hold eight small bombs in preparation for a possible invasion of the UK, and was actually used in anger.

This has been refuted by aviation experts but the rumour still persists to this day........

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

All comments and criticisms gratefully accepted,  as always

Thanks for looking........

Mog
>^-.-^<
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 02:24:28 AM by Robomog »
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2022, 04:15:22 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2022, 02:59:22 PM »
The Miles G1 came out great! That's some proboscis...

Offline Robomog

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2022, 01:30:03 AM »
Thanks guys......

Frank :-  yea it is longer than intended, I got carried away when I was contouring the nose and didn't take into account the depth of the engine/propeller. :-\

But Still it does make it look a lot more elegant compared to other autogyros  ;D

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2022, 08:18:27 AM »
 :smiley: Me thinks those stub wings need sidewinders mounted :D

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2022, 11:17:27 AM »
Predecessor to the attack helicopter.  :smiley:

Offline Robomog

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2022, 02:23:08 AM »
The Gyromagisters one and only day of action.

Story is here :-  https://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=10291.0

Enjoy !

Mog
>^-.-^<