Author Topic: Avro Anglesey MP1A  (Read 1312 times)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Avro Anglesey MP1A
« on: May 04, 2022, 05:33:08 AM »
Avro Anglesey Maritime Patrol Aircraft

The Avro Anglesey MP1A was derived from the last British-produced airliner, the then-new BAe 146. [1] The differences between airframes was fairly apparent - from the grotesquely extended nose radome to the elephantine panniers containing weaponry and extra fuel. Less obvious was a change in powerplants - the Anglesey MP1A being the first BAe 146 variant to feature the more powerful Rolls-Royce RB.415 high-bypass turbofan engines. [2] Perhaps the most ungainly feature of the already-awkward Anglesey was the MAD boom which extended from the top of the vertical tail.

No. 36 Squadron RAF was chosen to reform since that unit had historical connections with both the maritime and transport roles. [3] No. 36 reformed at RAF St Mawgan in Cornwall flying Angleseys alongside Nimrods. The unit had a nominal contingent of 10 Anglesey MP1As accompanied by three Anglesey MP1 crew trainers [4] which could also fly shorter-range maritime patrol missions.

The Anglesey was initially unwelcome by the RAF - which saw the type as a politically-inspired and cheap replacement for the Nimrod fleet. And so it proved. When the BAE Systems Nimrod MRA4 programme fell apart, the unsung Anglesey - in its upgraded MP2 form - was often the only type available to patrol Britain's maritime boundaries.

Image 'Snoopy' ZE720 - an Avro Anglesey MP1A of No. 36 Squadron, RAF St Mawgan. Despite the 'lo-viz' paint scheme, the Angleseys were authorized to wear the No. 36 Squadron badge (inset) on their tail fin.

The torpedo in the claws of the badge-art eagle remained relevant as the Anglesey could - if so armed - drop the Sting Ray LWT (lightweight torpedo) from its forward weapon bays.

[1] The Avro Anglesey was a branding exercise which was accepted by the RAF. Technically, the Anglesey MP1A was a BAe 146-200MPA-1A (the Anglesey MP1 having been designated BAe 146-100MPA-1).

[2] The geared RB.415 was originally developed in the mid-'70s with SNECMA as the M45SF. Earlier BAe 146 airliners had been powered by imported 6,990 lbf Avco Lycoming ALF 502 engines.

[3] In the original scheme, No. 36 was to fly BAe 146s variants in both maritime patrol and transport roles. That plan was later dropped but the unit's Anglesey MP1 crew trainers were sometimes operated in an ad hoc transport role.

[4] The Anglesey MP1 trials aircraft had been converted from BAe 146-100 airframes and were Lycoming-powered. Using these aircraft for touch-and-goes and other training tasks reduced unnecessary flying hours building up upon the limited Anglesey MP1A fleet.

"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Avro Anglesey MP1A
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 11:21:13 AM »
I have heard the term "cute" described as meaning "ugly but interesting".

I find this description to be apt for the Avro Anglesey MP1A ... Cute! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 09:11:00 PM »
There's a number of other 'cute' 146 projects in Chris Gibson's books.

I kinda like where you've gone with this Stephen, fits in with my FASS projects.

And now -- after years of waiting, there's a 146 in 1/72 on the market, actually not one but three different manufacturers -- so a possible build --- hmm!  think on it I will --
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 09:13:13 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 03:19:35 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2022, 06:42:06 AM »
Thanks folks.

I have heard the term "cute" described as meaning "ugly but interesting"...

I like that definition too Guy. I'd say that the BAe 146 qualifies a 'cute/ugly' out of the box ... even before any MR 'buggerization'.
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2022, 07:10:05 PM »
Cute is not the right word but it does look very purposeful with its lumps and bumps.  ;) :smiley:

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............