Author Topic: 1/35 ZiS-151, civilian  (Read 1442 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
1/35 ZiS-151, civilian
« on: April 12, 2022, 08:13:11 AM »
This is the old Italeri/Zvezda ZiS 151 I bought from ebay. The kit had been in a flood; the plastic was fine, but the box was gone and the instructions and decals had seen better days.

I decided to do a civilian flatbed version and experiment with intermediate rusting. I also had the Eduard PE set for this kit (which is excessive and not that useful).

There is no such thing as too much rust on an old Russian truck:

I used this Zis 131(?) as an inspiration:

The kit is OK for its age. My copy had a badly molded radiator section, with the vanes partly closed off with plastic. The dashboard is nondescript and the Eduart IP is basic, with just some dials and buttons and a clear film for dials. I painted the back of the clear film white and glued it in place. I used some airplane instrument decals to spruce up the main instrument dashboard:

I used the Eduard PE parts for the rest of the cockpit cab. The seats were sanded to show wear, then I painted some Tamiya glue on the plastic and pressed a PE mesh into it, to give it a slight texture. I added some piping with thin styrene rod:

the truck bed was warped, so I didn't use the sides; I may eventually build something up instead. The weathering isn't as extreme as some of the real world examples. This is definitely a case of too much is not enough:

I used the Eduard radiator replacement vanes to make copies out of plastic strip. I wasn't pleased with the result, so I covered them with a PE mesh bent to fit. I skipped the headlight guards; the kit parts were way out of scale and the PE replacements were too fiddly to build with superglue. I would have to solder them together and just didn't feel like it:

The figure is a 1/35 scale 3D scan of a real person from ReedOak. He's works out to about 5'8/1.73m tall or maybe slightly shorter:

I'm calling this one done for now - I may come up with something for it at a later date.

Thanks for looking!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: 1/35 ZiS-151, civilian
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 08:38:02 AM »
Dude! What did you ad the extra dials for? ???

The instruments on old Soviet vehicles are ultra basic! :-\

I suppose they could be "after-market", to replace non-functioning originals. ;)

Nice, but your weathering is way minimal! ;D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 10:16:41 AM »
I looked up the Zis-151 dashboard and they went from minimal - (red line with an arrow. What does it indicate? who knows) to some with three or four dials for various fluids/speeds/vodka:

The kit's dashboard had a single raised line, which looked bad.

Offline Steve Blazo

• The man likes white plastic...weird.
    • flickr
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 08:16:39 PM »
Nice job, very welldone.   :smiley: :smiley:
As I walk through the valley of death,
I have no fear, because I am the meanest mother*ucker in the whole valley.
- Gen. George S. Patton

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 10:36:36 PM »
Well done Frank.

I'd like to add that IMHO 5'8" / 173cm is the PERFECT height for any 1/35 scale diorama figure.  ;)
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2022, 04:51:09 AM »
The casting detail on that figure is pretty incredible

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2022, 09:28:25 AM »
Thanks, guys. I'll think of something for the cargo area someday.

The 3D figure isn't resin cast - it's 3D printed. ReedOak had the option to buy it straight out of the printer with the supports attached - they were a pain to remove. Next time I'll pay the $2 extra to have them remove the supports.

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 08:51:04 PM by Story »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2022, 08:52:31 PM »
Needs larger-than-life owner.
https://northstarmodels.com/product/54-mm-mr-presedent-of-russia-resin-figure/

Is that Putin trying to get the Ukrainians to stop destroying & stealing his tanks? ???
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2022, 10:11:41 AM »
very nice