Author Topic: 1/72 Convair re-entry vehicle  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
1/72 Convair re-entry vehicle
« on: March 07, 2022, 09:15:47 AM »
A few years ago, Winchell Chung (of Atomic Rockets) and I were discussing the lifeboats/re-entry vehicles from the old Hawk MOL kit:

I made a 1/72 scratchbuild years ago, followed by a 1/72 3D printed version.

The versions I made were all based on the kit parts while Winchell's was a 3D version of the boxtop vehicles (and of the original design). He sent me the .obj files (which were not printable) and I started working on making them printable.

I had my 3D version printed at Shapeways, but they've been a disappointment over the years. This - in part - caused the Winchell version to languish.

Recently, I saw that Fantastic Plastic has a version in 1/48; this and other events (one being my getting a larger printer and needing suitable test subjects) motivated me to finish the conversion of Winchell's version and send him a printed and painted model.

The Elegoo Saturn is a considerably larger printer than the Mars I'd used before and it can have a painful learning curve. I tried many different prints of the re-entry vehicle (1/144 hollow, 1/144 solid, 1/72 hollow and 1/72 solid) while adjusting the parameters until I decided to go with the brute force method of printing several solid versions right on the build plate, which usually isn't the best solution but it worked well here.

I had a small indentation in the rear (right on the build plate) for the engine insert, but the resin didn't fully empty, so I had to come up with a solution. Here is the model with some slight sanding and the engine insert glued to the rear:

Rear view:

Compared to my "kit version":

I wasn't happy with the 3D printed engine section, so I used a small square of styrene and some Gundam add-on parts to recreate it. I printed a decal with the positions of the parts (to use as a guide) and glued the parts over the decals.

I screwed up the paint job slightly when I darkened the panel lines - it looks far worse in these pictures - it's not very visible in the original:

The model is on its way to Winchell now. The files are his, so it's up to him to make them available to others.

Hmmm
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2022, 10:40:33 AM »
...Passing resemblance to Star Wars Episode V Empire Strikes Back T-47 Airspeeder it be.

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: 1/72 Convair re-entry vehicle
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 11:18:21 AM »
Very nice recovery and a successful print.  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2022, 01:00:43 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2022, 01:41:04 AM »
It does have a passing resemblance to the Star Wars aiespeeder. Both would probably be equally bad flyers. I had to add winglets to my scratchbuilt to keep it stable.

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2022, 10:55:54 PM »
 Regardless of it's real world limitations, it is still one of my favorite designs.  I remember playing with one of the re-entry craft from my old Hawk MOL for years after the main kit had gone missing. Beautiful work as always, Frank.

By the way, have you heard anything on Winchell's health? I had heard a few months back that he was suffering from advanced Prostate Cancer, and that the prognosis wasn't good. While we were never close, I always admired his work on Atomic Rockets*, and he was a great boon to the SSC thread at SSM.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2022, 11:25:18 PM »
He posts to twitter almost daily.
I don't think I ever had the full model, but I did have one of the two lifting bodies. They're a great design.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2022, 06:25:38 AM »
Simple shape, nice print and great finish.

Well done Frank