Author Topic: T3A4 M1940 Fast Tank (1/35th scale)  (Read 1820 times)

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
T3A4 M1940 Fast Tank (1/35th scale)
« on: February 08, 2022, 07:15:42 AM »

In an effort to warm relations with Washington, the Kremlin shipped an engineless T-34 hull to the United States as an "agricultural tractor" in late 1940. The Project was kept classified as the Roosevelt administration wanted to avoid criticism of engaging the Soviets, particularly in light of the hostility to Spanish Civil War Lincoln Brigade veterans and other 'premature anti-Facists'.

An 800 HP Packard 3A-2500 V-12 liquid-cooled aircraft engine (descendent from the World War I-era Liberty L-12) was installed, along with  a single dry-plate clutch, matched to a floor-shifted three-speed manual transmission and a new one-piece driveshaft.

Slight modifications to the original turret race were required to fit the M3 Lee's turret.

Page allegedly taken from a declassified performance report, dated 31 October 1941.

Purported to have been taken at Aberdeen Proving Ground, late 1941. In addition to the 37mm M5 main gun, the T3A4 could mount three .30 M1919 Browning machineguns (hull, co-axial and commander's cupola). Only the Commander's Cupola weapon was mounted on this prototype.

Random unclassified comments by crew, mechanics and evaluators indicated that the mating of inch-pattern drive train and turret components to the metric hull were problematic. The original vehicle is (apocryphally) said to have suffered an engine fire in 1943/44 and the hulk used as a hard target.

Comments in the subsequent Aberdeen evaluations of a complete T-34 and KV-1 might give some indications of why the design was not pursued.
http://www.tankarchives.ca/2013/04/aberdeen-t-34-and-kv-1-test.html?m=1
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 03:17:26 PM by Story »

Offline Story

Re: T3A4 M1940 Fast Tank (1/35th scale)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 07:25:57 AM »
Another salvage build - this time from three separate pre-built kits; a 1970's vintage TAMIYA T-34 hull, an unpainted TAMIYA T-34 hull and a TAMIYA M3 Lee turret.

The Lee turret commander's cupola hatch was missing, so I did the repurposed Soy Milk cap trick (as mentioned in the Syrian StuG thread http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=10184.0 )

The YELLOW 10 markings (sourced from 1/48th Kingfisher and Jap floatplane kits) are meant to indicate a Cavalry Fast Tank during the 1941 North Carolina Maneuvers.

Given the specialized powerplant, an excessive number of fuel cans were carried in hull racks.
Note fuel safety warnings just forward of each filler cap (swiped from a 1/48th P-61 kit)

« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 09:11:47 AM by Story »

Offline Story

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 07:33:21 AM »
Administrative notes

1) After starting this project, I tripped over one of Frank's ancient creations that parallels this. Might as well do a shout-out
http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=4862.msg79280#msg79280

2) Mini-Art's box cover helped me wrap my head around the turret's spatial requirements ("will this fit into that?").

3) With Frank as my witness, I'd more-or-less finished this model and whilst noodling on ebay came across THIS in someone's auction.
I dunno whether to feel vindicated or unimaginative. 

4) Historical precedence for M3 Lee Turret-swiping exists with the M7 debacle.
This is the soft steel pilot light tank T7 at Rock Island Arsenal on 16 January 1942.   It had the same turret used on the M3 Lee medium tank but without the commander’s cupola.

https://mikesresearch.com/2020/01/26/us-m7-tank/

5) Upper hull and turret finished in OD Green with a coat of clear flat over the decals. Needs to be toned down a bit with weathering.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 07:40:45 AM by Story »

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 07:35:28 AM »
Right on,,,  works great  :smiley:  :smiley:  :smiley:

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 07:39:59 AM »
Very nice!  :smiley:

... I'd more-or-less finished this model and whilst noodling on ebay came across THIS in someone's auction. I dunno whether to feel vindicated or unimaginative...

Considering relative build qualities, I'd go with 'vindicated' but, you know, BETTER!
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 11:42:53 AM »
Three wheelers, tractors or Christie suspensions - all good in my book! This one looks particularly good with the M3 turret. I may "borrow" your idea and slap it on a real Christie tank, like a Trumpeter BT-2

Offline Story

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 03:14:22 PM »
Thanks, all - this one was 92% fun.

I may "borrow" your idea and slap it on a real Christie tank, like a Trumpeter BT-2

By all means, not even touching how you (and others here) have inspired me.

[Breaking the 4th Wall]

To all of you (kids or old farts, no matter) who wind up here via World of Tanks and the like, these threads are presented to inspire you to tackle your own muses and not hesitate to cobble up things that make you happy.

Fini

25 Feb 2022 alibi note - If I knew about this BT series tank drama before my build, it'd long since disappeared from my accessable memory (along with whatever I had for breakfast yesterday). So yeah, art imitates life in this case.

In 1930, Soviet agents at Amtorg, ostensibly a Soviet trade organization, used their New York political contacts to persuade U.S. military and civilian officials to provide plans and specifications of the Christie tank to the Soviet Union. At least two of Christie's M1931 tanks (without turrets) were later purchased in the United States and sent to the Soviet Union under false documentation, in which they were described as "agricultural tractors"
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 02:10:14 AM by Story »

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2022, 01:32:42 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2022, 05:16:07 AM »
This has been a fascinating read. Great modelling, some parallel universe and great backstory

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2022, 07:59:54 AM »
Great work… I love the model and the backstory is perfect!  :smiley:
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!