Author Topic: Great-Jimbo's Profile Pictures  (Read 17051 times)

Offline Great-Jimbo

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
    • Deviant Art Page
Great-Jimbo's Profile Pictures
« on: June 27, 2020, 09:10:53 AM »
Hi I posted some unmade and prototype Mustang Variants to Secret Projects UK and Greg suggested that I post them here as well. Before I do I will start by saying that I started doing some profile work for a personal project where I was trying to do as many aircraft profiles as I could by taking three view profiles by other artists and scaling all of them to 1/144 scale. I had several that had the top and side view but no front view so I did several front views to go with the top and side views, and was satisfied with that. Unfortunately I lost all of that in a hard drive crash. I was currently working on a B-17E top view at the time of the crash so that is the only one I had left, since it wasn't on the external HD that went bad. I decided at that point to finish the top view of the B-17E I had started. I was happy enough with the results of that and do the other views. I also decided to give GIMP a try as I had been using a free photo program I had gotten with a camera purchase. I started the side profile but made it 3 times larger than the original line drawing. When finished it was much better than the top so I started the top profile again, which turned out decent. Then came the front to finish. I was pretty pleased with the result I decided to continue. I'm not sure why I picked "Honi Kuu Okole" markings for my B-17E but after learning that it was the first B-17 shot down by a Japanese night fighter equipped with obliquely fired cannon I did research on that particular aircraft and that was my second set of profiles. Mostly I do aircraft that I like especially ones that I don't find profiles of. The B-52H i did was the fourth set that I did and I decided to do 61-0007 'Ghost Rider' since it was the first aircraft ever to be returned to service after being sent to the storage facility in Arizona. The KC-135R was next and I picked one from Sioux City Iowa as it is only 35 miles from where I live in Emerson, Nebraska. I'm getting better with each one I do, and one day I might actually get good at them ;)

So how I draw them. I use a mixed approach of coloring line drawings, correcting the mistakes, adjusting to the particular model, marking, and timeframe of the one I am working on. I generally use photos of navigation lights scaled down to the drawing. I also use photos of tires, wheels, some landing gear (B-52, KC-135), cockpit seats when I can find them, gun sights. I do this mostly because I am lazy and it is difficult to do intricate landing gear work even at the large scale that I work at. All or the WWII aircraft I did the landing gear legs. On the mustang variants you will notice the landing gear legs as well as other parts that fit were used on each which saves time. So in conclusion they are part coloring, part drawing, and part photo manipulation. it seams to work for me.

I hope you enjoy them,

James Hunter - AKA Great-Jimbo

Offline Great-Jimbo

• Deviant Art Page
Re: Great-Jimbo's Profile Pictures
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 09:24:19 AM »
First up is my FTB Mustang from the line drawing done by Justo Miranda. Done in the colors of RAF Polish 315 Squadron. This was a Rolls-Royce project to make a mid-engined Mustang. This is the sixth set that I have done in all. I do 2 profiles of each; one flying and one landed. So here it is the FTB Mustang:

EDIT: OK I tried posting all six profiles in one post but that didn't work very well so I will be doing them one at a time

If you have time please visit my deviant art page at: https://www.deviantart.com/great-jimbo/gallery as it will have my complete collection as well as some of the B-52 in process work that shows some of the techniques I use as I work. If you have any questions on how I do my profiles feel free to ask! The B-52H, KC-135R and B-17E are posted at 1/2 size since they are so large.

Thanks for looking,

James

« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 09:26:47 AM by Great-Jimbo »

Offline Great-Jimbo

• Deviant Art Page
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 10:15:20 AM »

Offline Great-Jimbo

• Deviant Art Page
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 10:16:10 AM »

Offline Great-Jimbo

• Deviant Art Page
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 10:17:04 AM »

Offline Great-Jimbo

• Deviant Art Page
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 10:17:44 AM »

Offline Great-Jimbo

• Deviant Art Page
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 10:18:21 AM »

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 11:50:19 AM »
Great work! Glad to have you aboard!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2020, 05:01:55 PM »
Do any better & some of our profile artists are going to feel some serious pressure! ;)

Really good work! :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 01:56:35 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2020, 03:23:46 AM »
Great work James!

Have you a XP-75/P-75 Eagle profile? Another great mid-engine A/C.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Great-Jimbo

• Deviant Art Page
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2020, 06:23:02 AM »
Do any better & some of our profile artists are going to feel some serious pressure! ;)

Really good work! :)

Thanks! I still need to learn how to highlight to take it to the next level, but so far my attempts have been disappointing.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 07:13:16 AM by Great-Jimbo »

Offline Great-Jimbo

• Deviant Art Page
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2020, 06:26:01 AM »
Great work James!

Have you a XP-75/P-75 Eagle profile? Another great mid-engine A/C.

I have been thinking of doing that one. There are a large number of pictures available since it is on display at the National Museum of the Air Force in Dayton, OH. 

Offline Great-Jimbo

• Deviant Art Page
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2020, 06:56:11 AM »
Next up is my P-51 with forward swept wings concept. I only had two pictures of the factory model and a low irresolution image of the factory drawing to work with, and that is about it. As usual the tires and nav lights are photo manipulated, as is the gunsight. I was able to "borrow" the seat and prop from my P-51H drawing. This should be the same scale as my FTB Mustang and my P-51H. Line drawing by Chuck Davis

Offline Great-Jimbo

• Deviant Art Page
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2020, 06:57:00 AM »

Offline Great-Jimbo

• Deviant Art Page
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2020, 06:58:24 AM »

Offline Great-Jimbo

• Deviant Art Page
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2020, 06:59:04 AM »

Offline Great-Jimbo

• Deviant Art Page
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2020, 06:59:37 AM »

Offline Great-Jimbo

• Deviant Art Page
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2020, 07:00:25 AM »

Offline Great-Jimbo

• Deviant Art Page
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2020, 07:01:05 AM »

Offline Great-Jimbo

• Deviant Art Page
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2020, 07:17:03 AM »
Next up is the Cavalier Turbo Mustang III made by fitting a Rolls-Royce Dart turbo-prop engine from a Viscount airliner to a Cavalier Mustang II conversion in the late 1960's. There were very few reference pictures to use as a guide and those were lower res than I prefer. Luckily the line drawing was decent. I think the result is pretty good. This is the latest profile I have done. I also did the Piper Enforcer before this one, but to keep them in chronological order I will post this first. This should be the same scale as my other Mustang variants.

Line art by Neville Franklin

Offline Great-Jimbo

• Deviant Art Page
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2020, 07:17:42 AM »

Offline Great-Jimbo

• Deviant Art Page
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2020, 07:19:10 AM »

Offline Great-Jimbo