Author Topic: RAF WW2 Bomb Racks?  (Read 5105 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
RAF WW2 Bomb Racks?
« on: March 01, 2016, 09:53:47 AM »
Hi guys! Just wondering if anyone can help me re: where to find RAF bomb racks, WW2, specifically for Hurricanes (if they exist), although any will suffice.

I've done quite a bit of online searching but either my Google-fu is weak or there aren't many out there.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 10:00:32 AM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: RAF WW2 Bomb Racks?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 11:21:53 AM »
Search engine results for "WW2 RAF Bomb Racks" provided many images of bomber type racks and one of a Spitfire hauling a beer keg with a stores pylons that had aerodynamic features. 

If you want to model the "naked" bomb rack sans any aerodynamic features then you will have plenty of reference images in the above search results. 

If you are looking for a stores pylon which is the bomb rack plus some kind of aerodynamic feature to reduce drag then it might be better to search for:

"WW2 RAF Stores Pylons"

or

"WW2 RAF Bomb Pylons"
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 09:01:22 PM »
Thanks Jeff! :)

Um, I should have been more specific but I was running late for work when I wrote that.

What I should have said was "1/48th scale after-market bomb (wing) racks for RAF WW2 aircraft, specifically for the Hurricane".

Sorry! :-[
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 02:55:46 AM »
May I suggest:

If you can find them...
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 07:37:14 AM »
thanks, Greg!

If you can find them...

That's my problem! :icon_crap:

To give some perspective as to why I'm looking for these;

I have 2 Italeri Hawker Sea Hurricanes in 1/48 which I am going to build up as RAM fighter bombers in either the SEATO or PTO modified with Vokes filters, 2 x 20mm cannon & 4 x .303" mg's, one is to be carrying 8 x (25lb/60lb) rockets (which I can get easily enough), the other either 4 x 250lb bombs or 2 x 500lb bombs.

Not for immediate construction, I'm just trying to collect all the bits.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 08:49:57 AM by Old Wombat »

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 05:45:20 AM »
Guy,

Have you checked on the contents of the old Monogram Hurricane kit in 1:48th scale?  Another possible source might be the old Monogram Mosquito and the Airfix Mosquito kits which include a bomb with stores pylon as one of the build options. 

The Monogram Hurricane kit also included the 40mm gun pods and 3.0" rockets with rails and support panel that attached to the wing.  The rockets were a bit funky looking in the warhead but you can swap the things out for the rockets from the Mosquito if you wanted to. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 05:08:54 PM »
Jeff, unless someone has those parts for sale somewhere, separate to the kits, there's not much chance of me buying them.

I'm still looking (from time to time) but no luck, yet.

One day! ;)

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 07:49:28 AM »
@Guy - any luck on finding your stores pylons?

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 02:06:45 PM »
Hi, Jeff! :D

Can't say I have. :icon_crap:

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2020, 06:33:15 AM »
@Guy/Old Wombat --- Another source for the bomb rack/stores pylons might be the parts provided in the deHavilland FB.?? Mosquito kits for the one option to carry a pair of bombs under the wings.  In the Airfix 1:48th scale Mosquito kit these stores pylons are stream-lined in appearance so they fit to the underside of the wing and conform to the shape of the bomb where it attaches to the stores pylon the bomb in this kit is moulded separate from the stores pylon. 

The 1:48th scale Revell (Monogram) Mosquito has a similar stores pylon but the bomb is moulded with the stores pylon as one piece (well three pieces if you count the two halves and the ring tail piece).

The new tool Revell Mosquito is an unknown as is the Tamiya Mosquito kits as I have neither in my stash nor have I seen the kit reviews for these kits or physically inspected these kits in person. 

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2020, 04:18:43 PM »
Thanks, Jeff! :smiley:

Again,unless someone has them spare to their needs & wants to part with them ... ???

Still no rush, though. ;)