Author Topic: Aircraft Restoration  (Read 132 times)

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
Aircraft Restoration
« on: May 08, 2024, 12:27:35 PM »
A great many years ago when my son was little for Christmas I made him and his three cousins wooden airplanes. I turned the fuselages on a lathe and made wings from 3/4 stock. I didn't paint them because I was happy with the way the wood grain looked. Years later we tried painting my son's plane but it didn't turn out very well. So I've sanded it down and started a new paint job.

Right now it looks like it was built by John Deere. I may try a different color if I can find something a little more olive colored. This is what I'm going for.

I have actual stickers on order, not decal stickers but actual sticker stickers, for the national insignia. I'm thinking of doing the red markings to give it a little more dash. I really need to avoid Advanced Modelers Syndrome on this so I might be able to have it done in time for his birthday in a couple of weeks.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: Aircraft Restoration
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2024, 03:39:20 AM »
Very cute  :smiley:

I kind of like the "John Deere" look ... but I can see why you might want a more OD tone too.
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2024, 06:28:11 AM »
I like the John Deere look as well, in fact opens up a whole world of new manufacturer of AG aircraft

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2024, 09:52:11 AM »
I picked up an olive green paint today. I’ll have to mask again but that’s ok.