Author Topic: Grumman FB-2G Grebe - FINISHED - pic's pg.5  (Read 24372 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Grumman FB-2G Grebe - FINISHED - pic's pg.5
« on: March 22, 2017, 09:47:07 AM »
OK, this build is for the Floaty GB but the chances of it being finished before the end date is nil, nix nada & zilch but it has given me the incentive to start it.

In progress shots will be put in here but I'd prefer comments in the GB thread until it ends.

Thanks!

Guy

Floaty GB: http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?board=69.0

Grumman FB-2G Grebe: http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=7091.0

So, first images:

The boxes

What's in the boxes (well, some of it, anyway)

First cutting done (last night)

What a Sunderland looks like without its belly

Where I'm going with this
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 06:55:33 PM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
Re: Grumman FB-2G Grebe
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 12:10:01 PM »
Wow! Not easy but interesting... :-*

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 09:37:56 PM »
So a potential clear you work bench winner?

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 09:55:31 PM »
So a potential clear you work bench winner?

post-2025 ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 09:13:51 PM »
Photo's of minimal progress:

Almost all the lumpy-bumpy bits are scratch-built;

Most was built from my memory without references but I've brightened up the panels because it's not a Tracker. The vertical control column is what our (RAN) E's & G's had (don't know what model the kit's front-panel style column came from), I'm pretty sure I have the wing-fold controls modelled on the top panel somewhere, & the curtain is to block the void behind the cockpit.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 12:32:30 AM »
Next update:

The fuselage bunged together with some filler strips (more required) & the radome nose fitted.

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 01:00:20 AM »
Wow!  Great work so far. I'm impressed with your ability to envision this.  Looks like its going to be one of those "it's so ugly, it's cute" kind of planes (like a Wyvern or a Gannet). 

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 08:28:41 AM »
Thanks, Acree!

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 10:06:55 AM »
Wow!  Great work so far. I'm impressed with your ability to envision this.  Looks like its going to be one of those "it's so ugly, it's cute" kind of planes (like a Wyvern or a Gannet).

Agreed  :) That is some serious chopping and filling ... and an amazingly close fit! Nice work  :)

BTW, Any chance of a land airliner Sunderland derivative as a byproduct of this great build?
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 10:44:39 AM »
Thanks, mate! :)

BTW, Any chance of a land airliner Sunderland derivative as a byproduct of this great build?

Distinct possibility. ;)

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 07:17:53 AM »
<...> That is some serious chopping and filling ... and an amazingly close fit! Nice work  :) <...>

My thoughts exactly.  :)
Yeah, yeah, nice greeblies added to the cockpit, yada, yada, yada, but LOOK at those RIDICULOUSLY clean cuts!  :o Mind = blown.
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 10:22:51 AM »
Thanks for that, makes breaking a razor saw blade worth it! :D :) :)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2017, 06:10:16 PM »
So, after a couple of rounds of PSR, the fuselage is in the following state;

More needs to be done before it's completely complete (landing gear wells, landing gear & the butt-end) & I can fit the wings & engines, which are what I'll start work on next.

Offline ericr

• He's like some sort of Dr Frankenstein of modelling...
  • Has something for red, yellow or blue...
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 06:46:41 PM »
 :)

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2017, 09:41:06 PM »
Looks good.
Alex

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2017, 05:02:36 AM »
Thanks! :)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2017, 06:36:47 AM »
Wow gutsy as hell and came out so smooth you'd never know it's not a single, molded part!

Looking forward to more,
Brian da Basher

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2017, 07:52:02 AM »
Taking on look of a real FB-2G !

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2017, 07:25:57 PM »
Thanks, guys! :)

BdB: For once I really got careful with the PSR, instead of rushing it, &, although there are still faults, it's much better than my usual results. :))

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2017, 10:23:05 PM »
OK, so this is a fail for the Floaty GB. :(

This is where I got to:

Wings are just dry-fitted to the fuselage & the nacelles are just dry-fitted to the wings.

However, the build goes on! ;D

Looks like a bit of internal structural framing is required, then it's PSR time! (Oh, joy! ::) )

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2017, 03:45:32 AM »
Damn!  That looks good.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2017, 04:25:41 PM »
Thanks, Greg! :icon_alabanza:

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2017, 08:42:37 AM »
I really like how those engines look as a contrast to the shape of the hull!

What an impressive vision to see that and it looks to be coming together smoothly!

Brian da Basher

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2017, 10:33:45 AM »
Thanks, BdB! :icon_alabanza:

Offline arkon

• Paper Building Maestro
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2017, 12:47:33 PM »
That is awesome!
the paper gods demand sacrifice