Author Topic: Brian da Basher Gets Spacey with a Real Sleeper (ship)  (Read 2927 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Brian da Basher Gets Spacey with a Real Sleeper (ship)
« on: April 28, 2019, 10:59:10 PM »

The DIY-1000 S.S. Crotchety Cay was a new class of long-range sleeper ship developed from Khan Noonien Singh's S.S. Botany Bay.

Larger and powered by two prototype dork matter drives in jettisonable nacelles augmented with atomic proton pulse propulsion in the stern, the ship was fully automated for its centuries-long voyage.

An experimental multi-phasic sensor dish array also provided navigation data and a high mast antenna enabled deep-space communications.

Intended as the first of a new class, only one DIY-1000 was ever built and it would be the final long-range sleeper ship launched, a desperate last shot into the vast darkness of space.

It carried 96 of Khan's clones in cryogenic stasis.

The S.S. Crotchety Cay was supposed to rendezvous with the S.S. Botany Bay and this cargo of Khans would be the inscrutable, irritable iron-fisted lieutenants of the new Khanate empire.

Things deteriorated rapidly as the Eugenics Wars wound down and mistakes were made. The Khan clones were processed haphazardly and their cinephile genes were accidentally enhanced to a super-human degree. This error would have far-reaching consequences.

Originally thought to be only a myth, the S.S. Crotchety Cay would journey undetected except for briefly showing up as a distant sensor anomaly chased by the U.S.S. Hog NCC-585 in 2219.

Contact was lost when the Crotchety Cay got caught in a space storm and violently thrown off course back through the galactic barrier.

This reversal was not only one of direction but of time as well. The sleeper-ship found itself hurtling to Earth in the year 1969 and crash-landed near the French Riviera.

The 96 Khan clones were genetically-enhanced super-men determined to reach the heights of cinematic greatness. Which they did in short-order, starting what would become a wildly successful film festival.

To this day, the story of the DIY-1000 S.S. Crotchety Cay and the Khaaans! Film Festival is not accepted by most "serious" Star Trek fans, even though there's far worse non-canonical material out there.

Regardless, the S.S. Crotchety Cay was instrumental in helping all those Khan clones reach for the stars, even if they slept through most of it.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 05:19:40 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: Brian da Basher Gets Spacey with a Real Sleeper (ship)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 11:54:10 PM »
You may not know this about me, but I've been a Star Trek fan since I was a little boy. Some of my fondest memories are sitting down in front of the TV for the closing credits of The Big Valley just in time to catch Capt. Kirk re-runs. When I saw Polar Lights issued a U.S.S. Enterprise/S.S. Botany Bay combo, I had to have it.

It's a neat kit and this makes three Enterprises I've collected but what matters here is the cool little Botany Bay model that comes with it:

Yes it's the very definition of simple, but I see that as a feature, not a bug. It sure makes a great starting point if you want to kick things up a notch with modifications.

That's a little hard to make out, let me get in closer for you.

Most of the Botany Bay kit was used except for the submarine sail, engine, and antenna array. The arm for the stand will be saved for my Ambassador class build which needs an alien emissary's ship alongside.

The new bridge and "crows nest" were made from odd bits and the sensor dish is a 1/72 Fokker D.VII wheel hub mounted on rocket fins swiped from a 1/72 P-47 Thunderbolt. The sensor's antenna was taken from a 1/72 Monogram Curtiss F11C-2 biplane. I really hope I won't need it when I build that Goshawk...

The engine nacelles are 1/72 Heller Texan rocket pods with missiles on the back capped with sub detail parts up front. The atomic propulsion in the stern used one of the missile fin sets left from making the nacelles. The nozzle stuck on the end is sprue cut at an angle. The top detail piece is an engine part from a 1/72 Williams Bros. Douglas World Cruiser. I also added an anonymous rectangular bit as a battery pack on the bottom.

The main mast comm antenna was a spare strut, added just prior to painting

Speaking of paint, the old hairy stick was brought out again and loaded up with Poly Scale Gravel Gray acrylic. They sure named this paint right since the finish came out a little, well, gravelly...

The dish and tiny atomic engine nozzle were done with Model Masters Jet Exhaust and the front of the nacelles were painted Model Masters Gold. The rear of the engine nacelles was given a custom metallic mix. The entire model was then weathered with a combination of washes and dry-brushing.

Decals were all spares and I only used seven: the codes, three tiny hatches & two sets of retro-rockets on the bottom. I was thrilled about this as I had 14 additional hatch-shaped decals ready but the weathering brought out the detail I wanted, so I didn't need them.

Since I don't usually weather my models much, I really enjoyed going to town here and trying to replicate the effects of centuries in deep space.

I started on Friday and finished Saturday. A nice, small simple project was just what the doc ordered to get out of a building slump.

Before I forget, here's the "money shot" (U.S. penny for scale). This is one small model. That pen in your pocket might be larger.

I'd like to thank Bill for sending me the Texan kit whose rocket pods I re-purposed and Mr JCF for bravely moderating this GB. I couldn't do it without you!

I hope you enjoyed the  story of the S.S. Crotchety Cay, its cargo of clones and the famous French 3-D film festival even if the so-called "experts" have nothing but wrath for all those Khans.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 02:11:49 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline John Howling Mouse

• The King Of Absurdia
  • Have vacformer, will travel.
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 03:02:53 AM »
OMG: both sensory and humor overload!  You really went all-out on this one, Mr. da Basher.  Gave me a great laugh even if, at the same time, I started considered a two-foot-long version of your same ship mods...hmm...
Saving the globe from plastic pollution one kitbashed model at a time.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 03:30:44 AM »
Great build, Brian! I thought it was much bigger until you showed the penny. The "Crotchety Cay" looks great! Was it built in the "Lindberg Stand" space dock?

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 04:47:58 AM »
You obviously 'Spaced Out' with S.S. Crotchety Cay.
Result of Remote Viewing into the future ?

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 02:53:02 AM »
 ;D  Excellent parts bash BdB  :smiley:

...I thought it was much bigger until you showed the penny...

Just had to big enough to hold those 96 weiners  ;)
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 07:10:39 AM »
As a fan of S:TOS from the original airings, I have to say I love both the model and the backstory.  Beautiful work, Brian.

Offline deathjester

• 'Remember - Tiredness Kills Hedgehogs...!'
  • His Mother-in-law has Tardis pockets...
    • stormfront models
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 04:43:09 PM »
Haha!  That's brilliant, Brian!!
Well done mate.