Author Topic: This build is to shut Scooterman up! A patrol bomber Spruce Goose. Sort of.....  (Read 26275 times)

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
 Coming along nicely!

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Indeed!   :)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Caveman

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
The weapons could still by "rolled out" but instead of on the sunderland where the opening is on the side of the fuselage, that wing is deep enough that reloads could be railed out within the wing to be dropped through the wing opening. Just a thought.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
That's some first class detailing!

Go, Mr Chicken, go!

Brian da Basher

Sentinel Chicken

The weapons could still by "rolled out" but instead of on the sunderland where the opening is on the side of the fuselage, that wing is deep enough that reloads could be railed out within the wing to be dropped through the wing opening. Just a thought.

Precisely what I have planned! See below........

Latest progress shots:

The weapons bay is now fully integrated into the wing and several coats of Tamiya White Primer sprayed on between sandings helped smooth things out. And holy crap looks like I have a few minor "sins" to fix on the surfaces of the nacelles as well. Some of those I'll cover up Watergate-style with some greeblies like air scoops and the like. Added the final bit of detailing, the structural ribs on the side of the weapons bay. The original plan was to drill small holes in them to give the impression of a lightened structure. Maybe if I'd made this thing bigger and my eyeballs were ten years younger.

This view shows the other side of the weapons bay. There are two doors here that lead to the reloads/bomb/torpedo racks inside the fuselage, Sunderland style. One door would open if it's a 250 lb or 500 lb bomb being rolled out, maybe a string of depth charges. But for a torpedo, both doors would open and the longer stores would use both rails inside the weapons bay. Or if a long string of depth charges, bombs, or mines needed to be dropped, I suppose. The other side shows a closed weapons bay- just some simple styrene sheet there, nothin' fancy.

I plan to paint the inside of the weapons bay green zinc chromate, the standard interior metal protectant of the day.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Very well done
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....

Reloads - splendid feature.
And splendid building quality (envy).
Bill

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
Very well done

No kidding! Wonderfully integrated!
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
You know it has been over a year since we have seen any WIP images of this very fine what if from Sentinel Chicken.  Wassupwiddat?
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
You know it has been over a year since we have seen any WIP images of this very fine what if from Sentinel Chicken.  Wassupwiddat?

Maybe de Scooterman he shuddup? ???

Scooterman, you bedda be startin' de whingin' at de Guardian Poultry, soonest!!! >:D >:D >:D C:-)

:)

Guy
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Sentinel Chicken

The Dead Collector: Bring out yer dead.

[a man puts a body on the cart]

Large Man with Dead Body: Here's one.

The Dead Collector: That'll be ninepence.

The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I'm not dead.

The Dead Collector: What?

Large Man with Dead Body: Nothing. There's your ninepence.

The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I'm not dead.

The Dead Collector: 'Ere, he says he's not dead.

Large Man with Dead Body: Yes he is.

The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I'm not.

The Dead Collector: He isn't.

Large Man with Dead Body: Well, he will be soon, he's very ill.

The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I'm getting better.

Large Man with Dead Body: No you're not, you'll be stone dead in a moment.

The Dead Collector: Well, I can't take him like that. It's against regulations.

The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I don't want to go on the cart.

Large Man with Dead Body: Oh, don't be such a baby.

The Dead Collector: I can't take him.

The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I feel fine.

Large Man with Dead Body: Oh, do me a favor.

The Dead Collector: I can't.

Large Man with Dead Body: Well, can you hang around for a couple of minutes? He won't be long.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Hmm? I'm hoping this means it will be done & dusted very soon :D & not gone to meet the Great WhIffer! :o

:)

Guy
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Sentinel Chicken

My modeling room became a staging ground for some home renovations and then work just got balls to the wall busy. I was hoping to have this done for the Fort Worth IPMS show last weekend but couldn't make the show and didn't have squat done anyway. Had I made the show, I probably would have just gave Scooterman shit all day. Oh wait, I did that at past shows, too.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
My modeling room became a staging ground for some home renovations and then work just got balls to the wall busy. I was hoping to have this done for the Fort Worth IPMS show last weekend but couldn't make the show and didn't have squat done anyway. Had I made the show, I probably would have just gave Scooterman shit all day. Oh wait, I did that at past shows, too.

I feel for you, work has a nasty habit of putting me on courses or sending me interstate to support projects every time I think I may finally get something finished for a group build.

Sentinel Chicken

Not so much an update but will have to post pics as I've been getting back in the saddle again.

The PBK-1 Tarpon now has a doghouse fairing above the flight deck for the radar (dorsal radome from the Minicraft WV-2 Warning Star kit which is another great Minicraft dog log of a kit I'll never build after trying to build the TWA Super Connie) and have added remote control gun turrets on the upper and lower outboard wings just beyond the outermost nacelle. Not sure if I'll keep them there, though.

Offline Scooterman

• Professional A-4 Stalker...and stealer of Rule 3.
  • Even his underwear is embroided with Skyhawks...
Had I made the show, I probably would have just gave Scooterman shit all day. Oh wait, I did that at past shows, too.

Jokes on you, dude.  I wasn't there either!   :icon_ninja:

Nice to see you back, however!

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
I can totally relate to work getting in the way of the important stuff, Mr Chicken.

I can't wait to see what happens when you get back to the bench!

Brian da Basher