Author Topic: 1/35 Sputnik 1  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
1/35 Sputnik 1
« on: January 14, 2019, 04:54:32 AM »
This is the Red Iron Sputnik-1. It's a nice little kit - I spent a lot of time sawing off the resin pour plugs to the two satellite halves and making sure they were absolutely flat. I had some issues with the antenna supports, but they were 100% self inflicted - I didn't remove enough of the pour plug from a couple of them and didn't test fit them properly - so I literally had to dig them out of the model, fix them and reattach.

The antennas are pure copper wire and they were (and are) a pain to keep straight - if I redid this model, I would use a stiffer wire material. The model was painted with a mix of Vallejo aluminum and chrome. The "equator" was made slightly darker by rubbing with graphite.

The antenna insulators are reddish-brown; they appear darker in the picture below.

I've since bent the satellite so now it points straight up - this should keep the antennas from bending any further.

Other than my mistakes, this was a fairly quick and painless resin model.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: 1/35 Sputnik 1
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 08:54:04 AM »
Sure looks like the genuine article, Frank!

It's the contrast where the antenna (antennae?) connect to the sphere that does it for me.

Brian da Basher