Author Topic: 1/72 Mitsubishi Zero  (Read 4736 times)

Offline Some Duck with an Ultimax

• Now known as "Ducky"
1/72 Mitsubishi Zero
« on: February 18, 2019, 03:16:28 AM »
Well, I’ll throw my hat into the ring first....

I have a Mitsubishi Zero in 1/72 from the Airfix Pearl Harbour anniversary set lying around. I keep the set at my grandparents’ house to give me something to do in the evenings while I’m here. About 6 months ago, while I was putting the decals on, the left-wing upper hinomaru tore, and I put it away to cry in rage. Then, the next morning, I burnt myself on the edge of the porridge pan, lept backwards, and... knocked it off the shelf. I put in a box and cried some more, and only now have I returned to it. I didn’t take any photos of it in broken state, but the engine, cowling, propeller and tail all snapped off. My plan for it is to make a battle-damaged aircraft and use weathering and bullet holes to cover the lack of the hinomaru. I’ll upload a picture later today.
Never trust a man who tells you that you have too many paints, for he is obviously a liar and will most likely try to deceive you again in future.

• Now known as "Ducky"
Re: 1/72 Mitsubishi Zero
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 06:27:03 AM »
Here’s where I’ve got it up to today. I drilled some holes in it with my pin vice and glued it all back together.

Generated from my Apple iPhone using tools.sportscard.trade
Work on this will be even slower than I usually am since it’s at my grandparents’ house and I won’t be there all the time.

Next step is to weather the areas around the holes and then to add the remaining decals. Actually I’ll probably do that the other way around.
Never trust a man who tells you that you have too many paints, for he is obviously a liar and will most likely try to deceive you again in future.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 09:13:43 AM »
Good idea! :smiley:

& another good idea;
Actually I’ll probably do that the other way around.

Have you thought about making a diorama of it sitting in a jungle somewhere, half hidden in overgrowth? ???
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

• Now known as "Ducky"
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 07:28:29 PM »
Have you thought about making a diorama of it sitting in a jungle somewhere, half hidden in overgrowth? ???

I have indeed. My other thought is to build the P-40 which came in the same set and mount them both on a stand together, but we’ll see how it goes. The problem with making a diorama base is that I keep all my diorama-making bits and bobs at my parents’ house (where I live) and the plane is at my grandparents’.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 07:48:20 PM »
Its ruff times is blessing in disguise.  Well on your way to adding character to build.  :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 09:50:15 PM »
Once the Zero is finished take it back to your parent's or take sufficient diorama kit to your grandparent's. Simples! :D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Antonio Sobral

• Building and painting tiny little things!
  • Greetings from Portugal
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 11:51:51 PM »
I think I have some hinomarus in my spare box. If you want I will send you one or two to restore the Zero,  just send me you address in a PM.

Or you can make a small diorama/vignette of a shot-down Zero, with the tip of the left wing  missing :)

• Now known as "Ducky"
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 12:31:37 AM »
I appreciate the offer but for now I’ve committed to doing it as a damaged one.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 01:41:15 AM »
Are you going to leave the canopy in place? Unless it's a recent wreck, it should get rusty/corroded after a few years.

• Now known as "Ducky"
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 03:10:07 AM »
It’s meant to be on the way down after being hit at this point. If I don’t do that, it’ll be immediately after having hit the ground.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 05:29:21 AM »
Looking forward to this! And after the grief this kit has given you, I'd say that this Zero had its battle damage coming  :D
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

• Now known as "Ducky"
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 01:55:25 AM »
Looking forward to this! And after the grief this kit has given you, I'd say that this Zero had its battle damage coming  :D

It hadn’t finished giving me grief. These decals, man...

Anyway, reckon I’ve got it pretty much finished. I may try a few extra things in future, I dunno. Here’s how it looks:

I’m not too happy with how it’s turned out, but it has been a learning experience in many ways, and provided a useful test ground for some different techniques which I’ll use on another plane I’m working on.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2019, 03:39:22 AM »
Looks good
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.