Author Topic: 1/35 Rhodesian Army Leopard  (Read 7304 times)

Offline Some Duck with an Ultimax

• Now known as "Ducky"
1/35 Rhodesian Army Leopard
« on: August 05, 2019, 04:07:20 AM »
Right, my scorpion went down in a blaze of glory, but this is idea no. 2: the Tamiya Leopard 1, built up as a Rhodesian vehicle.

Generated from my Apple iPhone using tools.sportscard.trade

I have some vague ideas for a backstory for this one, hopefully I’ll have it fleshed out by the time I’ve finished building it.
Never trust a man who tells you that you have too many paints, for he is obviously a liar and will most likely try to deceive you again in future.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: 1/35 Rhodesian Army Leopard
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 04:46:08 AM »
As opposed to the other Leopard they had:

;)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 05:10:09 AM »
... idea no. 2: the Tamiya Leopard 1, built up as a Rhodesian vehicle ...

Ooo, plenty of cool camo options there  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

• Now known as "Ducky"
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 07:19:40 PM »
... idea no. 2: the Tamiya Leopard 1, built up as a Rhodesian vehicle ...

Ooo, plenty of cool camo options there  :smiley:

Indeed there are: and it's damn hard to find information on any of them....
Never trust a man who tells you that you have too many paints, for he is obviously a liar and will most likely try to deceive you again in future.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 04:47:54 AM »
I would search or Rhodesian T-55s as a source of inspiration.  See here for example:  https://samilhistory.com/2019/01/03/soviet-made-libyan-tanks-seized-by-south-africa-and-gifted-to-rhodesia/

• Now known as "Ducky"
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 07:57:00 AM »
I would search or Rhodesian T-55s as a source of inspiration.  See here for example:  https://samilhistory.com/2019/01/03/soviet-made-libyan-tanks-seized-by-south-africa-and-gifted-to-rhodesia/

Yes, these are definitely the inspiration for the planned scheme. I just love the journey those tanks went on, the number of owners involved - the story of how they ended up in Rhodesia.

• Now known as "Ducky"
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 01:39:04 AM »
Initial Assembly is complete:

The only change at this stage has been the removal of the mud guards, since, well, it looked cooler and a similar change was made to South African Centurions/Olifants.

Weather permitting, I should have it primed this evening, and, following a trip to the shops for some paint, I’ll begin painting sometime this week.

Online Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 10:58:34 PM »
 :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline apophenia

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 02:52:43 AM »
Good call on the track guards. Nothing changes the appearance of a Leo faster ... and, anyway, you imagine just how long those covers would have lasted during a bushwar!
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

• Now known as "Ducky"
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 02:10:39 AM »
Sorry I haven’t been active round here recently, I’ve had a hell of a cold these past two weeks and a lot of other stuff going on, but here we go:

I got the airbrush out this afternoon and put down the base coat, I’m just letting it dry while I have dinner and then I plan to spray the camo green.

• Now known as "Ducky"
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 08:51:58 PM »
I did do this yesterday evening, as planned, but by the time I was done it was 10:30, and, as I am still somewhat invalided, I was completely exhausted.

But, here is a pic of the finished camouflage:

I based this (loosely) on the scheme for the Black Devils’ Eland Armoured cars. While technically rhodesian Armoured corps schemes should be hard-edged, I’ve been wanting to have a go at free-handing with my airbrush for a while now but no opportunities presented themselves so I just said ‘screw it’ and had a go anyway. I couldn’t find any authoritative information on colours on the internet so I made a rough guess by holding up paint pots against a photo in a hobby shop. In the end I went for Vallejo Model Air dunkelgelb and NATO green, and I’m pretty happy with how it’s turned out. Next step will be decals, hopefully some time this week.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 12:40:13 AM »
Looking good

• Now known as "Ducky"
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 03:32:39 AM »
I got the markings applied today (I went very discreet as the Rhodesians often did) using some from a Rhodesian DH Vampire off the Xtradecal sheet.

I took these photos just after applying them, the setting solution should dry soon enough and get rid of the crinkling effect. I’m looking forward to making a start on the weathering, it’s been a good few years since I built a 1/35 AFV and my last attempt wasn’t very good....

Offline apophenia

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2019, 04:09:25 AM »
Excellent scheme! Simple and highly realistic  :smiley:

Online Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2019, 10:28:46 AM »
So far she's looking excellent! :smiley:

Weathering is a matter of layers; small amounts, lots of layers. I find a base coat of lacquer clear gloss under acrylics works best.

Chipping & scratching seems to work best if you focus on each area individually, remembering not to go overboard on the chips & scratches, keep it fairly light. I, personally, like Tamiya XF-56 Metallic Grey & XF-84 Dark Iron for my chipping, which should be protected by a layer of lacquer clear before moving on.

For rust, which I mostly streak from the chipping, I have a range of AK Interactive rust colours. I start with AK706 Light Rust, then usually go AK708 Dark Rust (sometimes AK709 Old Rust), followed by AK707 Medium Rust. There is AK710 Shadow Rust but I use that for panel lines.

For dust I airbrush a fine-mist of very* thin Tamiya XF-57 Buff overall, then use a fine brush moistened in Tamiya X-20A Acrylic Thinner to streak the mist coat under bolts, & fittings. Then a less uniform coat of very thin XF-52 Flat Earth overall, which is again streaked under the bolts & fittings. Repeat with either XF-78 Wooden Deck Tan or XF-55 Deck Tan.

The order is variable (except the chipping, which should always come first) & you may wish to alternate a layer of rust followed by a layer of dust.

The best tip I ever got was "KEEP IT LIGHT!" Heavy-handedness is the bane of good weathering.

Anyway, hope that helps & I'm not preaching to the converted. :))

* - when I say "very thin" I mean barely enough to colour the thinning medium (don't use water, methylated spirits or isopropyl alcohol are your friends here) & layer it until you get a decent density, remembering to build it up towards the rear of the tank, especially the very rear. Oh, yeah! And don't do the layers too evenly, swirl your airbrush around as randomly as possible)

(Note: I've stated Tamiya colours because they're the ones I have best access to & quite like using, you can use whatever paint you like. I also have Mig, Vallejo, Life Color & Humbrol (enamels) in the paint stash.)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 10:38:07 AM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

• Now known as "Ducky"
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2019, 02:47:21 PM »
Thanks for the tips - I really like the way your IJA Panther has been turning out so I'll see how much I can replicate!

• Now known as "Ducky"
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2019, 02:11:42 AM »
I'm an idiot.....

I saw this, read this, understood this (I thought....  ::)):

The best tip I ever got was "KEEP IT LIGHT!" Heavy-handedness is the bane of good weathering.

And still I went totally overboard with the chipping. It'd be fair to say I've ruined this. I'm debating whether to repaint the whole thing or just soldier on and try and make the best of some crap chipping.....

sighs....

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2019, 08:59:14 AM »
Soldier on & turn her into an overworked, battle-fatigued old warhorse! ;)

With the chipping, just over-paint some of them with the camouflage colour . It'll look like old damage that's been patched - something that happens all the time (even in peace time).

Seriously, it's ALL a learning process. Just work with what has happened to improve your skills at the other parts.

Streaking rusty bits can be tricky because you have to think about how water flows down the armour face. Dusting can be tricky because you have to think about where & how dust builds up on a vehicle, AND how it washes off in the rain.

Remember; perfection is the enemy of good.

An imperfect model can still be a good model. Finish her off as best you can & we'll judge, you may be a bit too invested to make an accurate call on what you deliver.

The day I build the "perfect" model is the day I quit modelling, because it's all down hill from there!

Oh, by the way, it's really easy to get carried away with any part of the weathering process - I love rusting things up but a real tank would never be as rusty as my IJA Panther.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 09:03:37 AM by Old Wombat »

• Now known as "Ducky"
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2019, 12:28:24 AM »

In the late 1960s, the South African military sought to increase the strength of its armoured forces. While already equipped with the Centurion tank and a variety of armoured car designs, they desired some new tanks. Finding the British Vickers company to be uncooperative, they instead began to negotiate with Kraus-Maffei about acquiring their Leopard 1 design. In 1973, a preliminary order for six tanks was placed, to undertake trials in South Africa and determine suitability for the role. However, after a brief period of evaluation, a scandal of German companies busting sanctions on the apartheid state began to break, with board members of various firms coming under investigation. Not wanting to have their actions be revealed to the press, Kraus-Maffei offered the South Africans their money back plus some extra for the tanks, on the condition that they did not publicly show them or allow their existence to get out. Begrudgingly obliging, the South Africans locked the Leopards away in a shed on government-owned land near Pretoria, and threw away the key (quite literally, it was destroyed with a gas torch).

A while later, in 1977, Rhodesian Security Forces began to encounter armoured vehicles in the border regions with Mozambique. While the conflict was usually a Guerilla one, and the RSF were equipped with the Eland Armoured Car, when T-55s started appearing on the border with increasing frequency, there were severe worries amongst the top brass about the anti-tank capabilities of the RSF. Thus, they contacted the South African government to ask for equipment (as there were no other countries willing to go around the sanctions on Rhodesia). It was while depots around South Africa were being searched for anything totally surplus to requirement that the Leopards (along with some spare engines and a reasonable quantity of ammunition) were re-discovered, and secretly transferred to the Rhodesian Security Forces in the dead of night on the 17th June, 1977.

The Rhodesians put the tanks to good use on the Mozambican frontier, where they outclassed the T-55s and T-34/85s being used against them. Even so, in 1978, Tank No. 6 ran over a landmine, blowing most of the right-hand running gear clean off, destroying the transmission and wounding the driver, albeit non-fatally. With the Rhodesians’ limited supply of spare parts, the tank was written off as irreparable and buried to avoid recognition. In 1979, when South Africa provides Rhodesia with T-55s of their own, the Leopard 1s were returned to Pretoria and placed back into deep storage to be forgotten about once more.

In Rhodesian service, the Leopard received no formal designation, as the existence of the tanks was considered highly classified. Equally, no identification numbers were paired onto the tank, the only identifying marks being a small Rhodesian roundel on the left-hand side of the turret and a small flash on the front and rear of the hull.

• Now known as "Ducky"
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2019, 12:32:14 AM »
Complete at last, just in time! Having put the recommended dust coat I think it’s really come out much better than with just the chipping. I’ve had a lot of fun building this, and I just wish I hadn’t been so busy recently and could have made more entries for the GB. Nonetheless, thanks to Brian for making the other physical entry, to everyone who designed a profile, and to all of you for taking a look!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2019, 02:04:44 AM »
 :smiley:

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2019, 09:11:02 AM »
Looks good! :smiley:

The spattering looks like she's been parked under a tree frequented by largish birds. ;) ;D

Offline apophenia

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2019, 07:14:26 AM »
That looks excellent, 'Duck'!  Especially like the weathering. Great (and highly plausible) backstory too  :smiley:

The spattering looks like she's been parked under a tree frequented by largish birds. ;) ;D

'Guanoflage'?

• Now known as "Ducky"
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2019, 04:56:59 PM »

'Guanoflage'?

;D

Thanks for the comments, I was worried about how it was going for a while and although it could be a lot better I’m happy with how it’s turned out (and I’ve got some lessons for my next build)

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2019, 08:13:59 PM »
Turned out good!

Guanoflage !  LMAO.......

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............