Author Topic: Apophenia's Offerings  (Read 905724 times)

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
Re: Apophenia's Offerings
« Reply #425 on: June 22, 2012, 11:57:16 AM »
A torpedo armed Stuka on floats???!!!  :o :o :o

Keep it up man!
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #426 on: June 22, 2012, 12:20:23 PM »
 :-* I love your P.12!
With its fin looking like a Mustang, could you invent a similar P-51? (someday)

Online apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #427 on: June 24, 2012, 06:12:39 AM »
Nice idea Tophe!  I started work on a Mustang similar to the P.12 but somehow it kept crying out Navion to me. So, here's a civilian mid-engined Mustang derivative that turns into a jet-for-four.
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #428 on: June 24, 2012, 06:15:44 AM »
Wow!!!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
« Reply #429 on: June 24, 2012, 06:45:07 AM »
At first glance in the thumbnail, I thought the Jet Navion was a Fouga Magister of some sort.
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
« Reply #430 on: June 24, 2012, 07:25:08 AM »
I've always had a thing for the Navion - wanted to own one for many years.  Love the Mustang-Navion.  I also like how you got shades of Buckeye in the Jet Navion.

Offline upnorth

• Distorting a reality near you.
  • You want maple syrup on that Macchi?
« Reply #431 on: June 24, 2012, 08:14:08 AM »
Wow! The floatplane Stuka is increadible!
Pickled Wings, A Blog for Preserved Aircraft:
http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague, Traveling the Rest of the Czech Republic:
http://beyondprague.net/

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #432 on: June 24, 2012, 08:54:09 AM »
Wonderful! Your Navion and Jet-Navion are delicious! :-* :-*

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #433 on: June 24, 2012, 09:08:10 AM »
Saw a couple Navion at last weekend air show.  Also was a non-flyable T-37.
This is nice.  See them both in your drawings.   :)

Online apophenia

« Reply #434 on: June 25, 2012, 06:20:09 AM »
Thanks folks. The RW Navion is waaay more practical than my variations ... but maybe slightly less fun  ;)

Litvyak: Close! I pinched the jet exhausts from an obliging MS.760 Paris.
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Online apophenia

Stealing the Stuka
« Reply #435 on: June 25, 2012, 06:22:44 AM »
More unbuilt designs from upnorth's Stealing the Stuka ...

Proyecto NATB-3/5 (Nuevo Avión Torpedero y Bombardero - Tipos 3 y 5)

When its mid-engined FMA P.12 Yamana design was rejected by the Comando de Aviación Naval as being too radical, the ex-Junkers team returned to their P.9 Tehuelche concept. Power was increased by using the 860 hp Hispano-Suiza 12Ycr but now mounted more conventionally in the nose.

Other than increased power, the P.9C (or 'NATB Tipo 3') was essentially similar to the P.9A (Tipo 1) Tehuelche. However, late in the design process, it was decided to improve control and stability by returning to the twin rudder arrangement of the original Junkers Ju 87 v1 prototype.

While COAN planners had come to terms with a twin-seat torpedo-bomber, there were now concerns as to whether P.9C defensive armament would be adequate. The ex-Junkers team returned to the drawing board once more and produced the P.9E (NATB Tipo 5).*

The FMA P.9E/Tipo 5 had its empennage rearranged to provide space for a remotely-controlled gun barbette in the tail. This barbette was to have 190° rotation and +85° elevation and -5° depression. Removing armament from the rear cockpit also provided more space for a navigation table.

The FMA P.9E/Tipo 5 was to be powered by a 920 hp Hispano-Suiza 12Y-29. Airframe cleanliness was improved through the use of cantilevered float struts. The engine coolant radiators were also incorporated into these struts resulting in a cleaner cowling and more clearance for ordnance.

[* The P.9D/Tipo 4 was a proposed wheeled version of the P.9C/Tipo 3.]

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #436 on: June 25, 2012, 12:42:36 PM »
Nice idea Tophe!  I started work on a Mustang similar to the P.12 but somehow it kept crying out Navion to me. So, here's a civilian mid-engined Mustang derivative that turns into a jet-for-four.
Well, I tried also, getting a result somehow. Thanks again! :)

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #437 on: June 25, 2012, 11:27:18 PM »
Those Navions are fantastic!

Cheers,

Logan

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #438 on: June 26, 2012, 02:26:20 AM »
I see a distinct Latécočre 298 look happening here.

Online apophenia

« Reply #439 on: June 26, 2012, 10:52:12 AM »
Thanks guys and very nice Tophe --  I love the Yamastang name  :D

I see a distinct Latécočre 298 look happening here.

Well spotted Greg! I was going for a prototype Laté 298 look on the later 'torpederos' ;)

Online apophenia

Nuevo Avión Bombardero en Picada
« Reply #440 on: June 26, 2012, 11:09:26 AM »
Proyecto NABP (Nuevo Avión Bombardero en Picada)

The ex-Junkers team based its first naval dive-bomber design on the FMA P.12 Yamana torpedo-bomber concept. The P.14 Kaweskar (NABP Tipo 1) was another mid-engined design but somewhat smaller in overall dimensions.

The P.14's crew was reduced to two with the navigator operating defensive armament via a periscopic sight. Defensive armament initially consisted of the P.12's tail barbette relocated admidships. In later studies, the dorsal barbette was augmented with a ventral barbette although control details for the latter were not finalized.

As with the FMA P.12 Yamana, planning staff of the Comando de Aviación Naval rejected the P.14 Kaweskar as being too radical. Anticipating an outcome of this sort, the ex-Junkers team had prepared a back-up NABP design which stayed close to the original Stuka formula.

The FMA P.17 Mapuche (NABP Tipo 2) had conventional engine and cockpit locations and retained the Stuka's distinctive fixed, spatted landing gear. This undercarriage would be jettisonable should ditching at sea become necessary.

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #441 on: June 26, 2012, 12:04:42 PM »
Nice family... :-*

Online apophenia

« Reply #442 on: June 27, 2012, 10:31:36 AM »
Thanks Tophe!
--------

At the end of WWII, Curtiss found itself with military orders cancelled and no viable commercial product to sell. The CW-20 Commando had been one of the most advanced airliners when it flew in 1940 but, by war's end, there was little or no airline interest in the type.

Needing a commercial product quickly and desiring to utilize as many of the CW-20 tools as possible, Curtiss-Wright resurrected its 4-engined CW-24 concept, fitting it with the nose gear of another unbuilt CW-20 derivative, the CW-28. But this alone would not be enough to rival the dominant Douglas DC-4.

The Curtiss-Wright engine division was at work 'Americanizing' the jet engines of Britain's Armstrong Siddeley. This brought them in to contact with the latest Armstrong Siddeley development, the Mamba AS.1 turboprop. Adapted for this radical new powerplant, the Curtiss-Wright CW-34 Turbo Commando was unveiled in late 1948.

Unfortunately for Curtiss-Wright (and Armstrong Siddeley), the Mamba AS.1 had difficulty producing the power it was designed for. The CW-34 never got past the prototype stage, and Curtiss-Wright's licenced TP 48 Mamba turboprop was never built at all.
-------

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #443 on: June 27, 2012, 02:46:14 PM »
Turbo Commando four engine.  Cool concept   8)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #444 on: June 27, 2012, 04:35:46 PM »
Interesting...

Online apophenia

« Reply #445 on: July 08, 2012, 06:09:57 AM »
Another springing from Litvyak's AltBC concept ...

After WWI, the British firm of Pemberton-Billing had reinvented itself as Supermarine. Wartime AD flying boats were bought back for rebuilding and refurbishment for peacetime roles. One such AD reincarnation was the Strait, Supermarine's first foray into British Columbia.

The Supermarine Strait was an AD airframe shipped in 1919 to the Hoffar shipyard in Vancouver for assembly and installation of a Liberty L-12 engine. Otherwise unchanged from the AD, the completed Strait was submitted to the RBCAF as a light patrol flying boat.

Unfortunately for Supermarine, British Columbia had no requirement for such a flying boat (being content with float-based patrol aircraft). The sole Strait was retained by the RBCAF for flying boat training at Jericho Beach but, lacking dual-controls, it was of limited use.

The Strait also participated in harbour-to-harbour air mail trials btween Victoria and Vancouver. While landing in Vancouver's Coal Harbour, fog obscured a piling until it was too late. In an unavoidable collision, the Strait's starboard mainplane was completely destroyed.

The damaged Strait was towed to the nearby Hoffar shipyard where its engine was recovered. Shorn of its ruined wings, the hulk of the Strait sat near the ways until Hoffar decided to use the hull to test its new, Fokker-style wing design. The latter was a plywood-covered wooden monoplane, necessitating a new engine-mounting structure as well.

Hoffar named its 'new' flying boat the Hornby (H-5, in the old Hoffar designation style). To subsidise development trials, Hoffar offered the Hornby as a dedicated air mail carrier to the BC government. Accepted, the Hornby flew the Victoria-Vancouver route until striking a deadhead in Victoria's Inner Harbour. The Hornby was recovered but the wing had been damaged by immersion and the hull was beyond repair.

[BTW, images based on various Zygmunt Szeremeta AD/Channel sideviews]

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
« Reply #446 on: July 08, 2012, 06:17:08 AM »
Ohhhhhhh wow, do I ever adore those!
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."

Offline arc3371

• Takes no responsibility should anyone try to turn the drawings into plastic...but we will still hold him accountable for the madness that ensues!!!
« Reply #447 on: July 08, 2012, 06:23:07 AM »
Very nice

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #448 on: July 08, 2012, 10:58:53 AM »
Yes, nice!

Online apophenia

« Reply #449 on: July 10, 2012, 11:40:17 AM »
From Litvyak's AltBC concept ...
http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=19.msg21783#msg21783

Before the Shukopoots was the Skookum Scimitar Project. But, of course, Supermarine BC's 'Dark Corner' was working on Scimitar derivatives long before the official go-ahead was received.

One such project was a 1963 twin J79-powered Scimitar derivative. This single-seat carrier fighter was aimed at the Royal Canadian Navy which had just retired its Banshee fighters.

Another early Skookum Scimitar project was an all-weather interceptor. Powered by Spey 202s, the interceptor was to use the Autonetics Nasarr monopulse radar set (from the F-104G) wingtip rails for Sidewinder IR missiles, and longer-range AIM-7 Sparrow missiles underwing. When the RBCAF chose to go with Blue Dolphin AAMs, this project was shelved.