Author Topic: HMBLT - the Build  (Read 49627 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: HMBLT - the Build
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2014, 12:38:20 PM »
How did you know that's what I'd been contemplating? ;D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2016, 05:25:55 PM »
Well, I'm still alive! ;D

(It was a close call after building 2 cars! :-X )

Some of you may remember this build ............................. No?! ??? ............................. OK.

Anyway, I've resurrected it from the Cupboard of Doom. :icon_surprised:

This is pretty much where I left off the new cargo trailer but for the last couple of days I've been working on the hydraulic jacks for the side doors.

Progress to follow, as it occurs:

"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2016, 09:13:34 PM »
Oh, I remember this project, and now I'm feeling like maybe stamp collecting is more my speed (I think knitting is FAR beyond my abilities).

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2016, 02:13:06 AM »
I'm with LemonJello on this.
Released from Cupboard of Doom - yes !

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2016, 02:17:07 AM »
That's one big bunch of tires! Love it!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2016, 02:29:10 AM »
Looking good
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2016, 07:58:42 AM »
Now you're just showing off Wombat!! ;D ;D It's starting to look like something from the book series "The Amtrak Wars" by Patrick Tilley :) :)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2016, 09:30:00 AM »
Now you're just showing off Wombat!! ;D ;D It's starting to look like something from the book series "The Amtrak Wars" by Patrick Tilley :) :)

Exactly what I was thinking.  Reminds me I need to finish that series some time, its only been 15 years since I read the first book.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2016, 05:55:33 PM »
Thank you, gentlemen & BtS forum members! :icon_alabanza:

It's good to get back to the HMBLT after such a long hiatus, even if it is back to a lot of fiddly bits.

Enjoying myself immensely. ;D

Yep, the idea is, essentially, an armoured road train (I envision a maximum of 3 [but more usually 1 or 2] cargo trailers & guard van behind the tractor) & could be viewed as a possible ancestor of Tilley's Amtrack Wars "wagon-trains".

We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself.

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2016, 06:23:00 AM »
I'd say your skills and the finished product will embarrass us mere mortals far more  :-[ :-[
Do you reckon a trailer with a drone launcher or small helo pad for a recon/light attack drone of some description would work.
It'd probably look even more like on of Tilley's Wagon Trains ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2016, 09:55:18 AM »
I'd say your skills and the finished product will embarrass us mere mortals far more  :-[ :-[
Do you reckon a trailer with a drone launcher or small helo pad for a recon/light attack drone of some description would work.
It'd probably look even more like on of Tilley's Wagon Trains ;)

Bro, that ain't happ'nin'! ;D

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2016, 06:49:11 PM »
this is very cool.  Will have to try something like this myself.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2016, 07:17:21 AM »
It. Is. Alive !

Yes, bring it on Womby, I really want to see this completed.
Anecdotally on this concept, whilst serving in the Army, our unit had a mobile Q Store trailer, that was called the Pie Wagon, because in its former life, it was literally a mobile bakery. It had a side serving window and everything, which made our Q Wallahs feel very business like in their "shop"

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2016, 07:28:23 AM »
Thanks, guys! :D

Go for it, Camthalion, I'd love to see your take on it! :)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2016, 07:43:26 AM »
Update:

The roof & rear bulkhead are on & the hydraulic rams are fixed in place (they move, so every side-hatch will be openable [if that's a word]).

I've had to fight a bad case of AMS with this & have managed to stop myself putting in all of the hydraulic lines along the inside of the centre beams, although I will be putting in either 12 or 16 lines on the front bulkhead to represent the lines to the control boxes on the outside of the front bulkhead.

Need to buy more brass rod 1st, though.

:))

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2016, 12:00:27 PM »
This really is an epic build, in every respect. I'm jealous of your talent and your space to display the finished model in one piece!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2016, 08:51:18 PM »
This really is an epic build, in every respect. I'm jealous of your talent and your space to display the finished model in one piece!

Space? What space? ???

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2016, 09:07:30 PM »
Discouraging and Inspirational all at the same time...would that be discperational? or Inspouraging? Either way, this is an epic project and I am envious of your abilities.

Someone pass me a coloring book and a box of crayons.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2016, 03:36:12 AM »
Knitting kit anyone...

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2016, 08:53:16 AM »
Knit one, pearl one, knit one . . . blast!! Dropped a stich ::) ::) . . . . . .  ;D ;D

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2016, 10:53:13 AM »
Knitting kit anyone...

Fine, just so long as the needles don't have to be moved  :P

Amazing stuff, Old Wombat ... keep going!  :)
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2016, 12:25:52 AM »
Guys, I think you're mistaking pure, bloody-mindedness (You will go to gether this way, you b@$+@rd!) for talent ..... I wish! :icon_crap:

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2016, 07:22:40 AM »
Knit one, pearl one, knit one . . . blast!! Dropped a stich ::) ::) . . . . . .  ;D ;D

Yeah, my wife knits. It isn't even remotely an easier/simpler hobby. Pet rock care is an easy and simple hobby:

Quote from: Old Wombat
Guys, I think you're mistaking pure, bloody-mindedness (You will go to gether this way, you b@$+@rd!) for talent ..... I wish!

That's like Charles Kettering's quote: "I notice the harder I work, the luckier I get."

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2016, 05:03:00 PM »
Update:

Not much to see but I've put both ends on the trailer & have the hatch panels marked out on the styrene in the 1st pic. The browny blotch on the front bulkhead was a painting error that got turned into a patch effected by a ruptured battery, or similar in-transit accident.

:)

PS: What I've forgotted to mention is the inside part of the door hydraulic control boxes & associated hydraulic lines have been added to the front bulkhead. It's grey-on-grey, so a little difficult to see. Used lead wire, instead of brass rod, as I got impatient - worked, though.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 05:11:23 PM by Old Wombat »

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2016, 05:23:58 PM »
All this and no glue smears;  How can that be ?