Author Topic: HMBLT - the Build  (Read 49468 times)

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
Re: HMBLT - the Build
« Reply #150 on: October 14, 2017, 07:01:20 AM »
Wombat you'd be surprised how many modellers look down on Whiffs, and don't consider them at all ::) :o
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #151 on: October 14, 2017, 08:00:21 AM »
When its a Whiff they don't have reference for how many rivets to count.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #152 on: October 15, 2017, 02:27:59 AM »
Wombat you'd be surprised how many modellers look down on Whiffs, and don't consider them at all ::) :o

True, though that does seem to be changing.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #153 on: October 15, 2017, 07:58:48 AM »
We can live in hope GTX ;)
Good luck Wombat and drive the rivet counters nuts with exceptional modelling skill ;) ;)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #154 on: October 15, 2017, 05:47:04 PM »
... drive the rivet counters nuts with exceptional modelling skill ;) ;)

Yup, I did that! :smiley:

Actually this kit, & both my other armour kits, got swapped & changed from one category to another then back again as the guys tried to work out where best to put them. I've got to give it to the club members, they were trying to find the best place for them to get a result. Today I was told several times, maybe a dozen, that my building skills are right up there but that I had no references & therefore started at 0/10 for that element. They went on to say that the kit instructions should be part of the references, even if I've strayed well away from them, &, as there aren't any images of what I build, write down my ideas & thought processes during the build, & to include my "WiP" photo's (that impressed them, that I take them) as part of my references, with a running commentary if possible.

So, this year, I was, it seems, my own worst enemy. ;D

2019, just you wait! ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #155 on: October 16, 2017, 01:03:44 AM »
Frustrating when some people can't think outside of the box...
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #156 on: October 16, 2017, 06:23:40 AM »
Looks great.  Nice work

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #157 on: October 16, 2017, 06:39:11 AM »
Not being as familiar with armor as aircraft HMBLT looks RW in design, details, and finish to me.  Congrats on your fine build.  :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #158 on: October 16, 2017, 08:12:58 AM »
Thanks, guys! :smiley:

As I said, Greg, the guys were trying to be as helpful as they could. The judging is technically based & has a references component, without references I got 0/10 for that component which was why more than one of my models failed to place. I can understand & accept that. After all, if a guy building a RW subject has to show references relating to that subject, so should I, even if it's just a run-down of my mental processes (which, if I'm honest, could sent them all slightly loopy to start with :-\ & be of some significant advantage to me ;)).
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #159 on: October 16, 2017, 03:00:31 PM »
Not an unusual outcome for Whiffs there Wombat I 'spose. Personally you deserved at least a best in class IMHO ;) I know, I know, which class?
Not that it's right, Whiffs should be judged on the skills (and temerity) used, reality created and the originating ideas. It's a bit difficult to judge a Whiff in the RW :smiley:
Maybe you should write a background story to support your next Whiff, you know kinda like the one you helped myself to develop for one of my ideas (now up to 15 ideas, they seem to breed in one's unconscious don't they ;) )
Cheers mate, better luck next time :smiley: :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #160 on: October 16, 2017, 04:21:27 PM »
I have trouble stopping the buggers! I think I'm one of Pratchett's inspiration magnets ... but I only get the weird sh... stuff! :-\

They all have back stories & most of them link into my Royal Australian Marines alt. hist., so maybe I'll have to work on that (it's still stuck in early WW1).

PS: Mind you, my FV521AS Warrior 90mm FSV scored a Mentioned in Dispatches! :smiley:

(See here: http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=7477.msg132203#new)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 04:25:21 PM by Old Wombat »

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #161 on: October 27, 2017, 07:52:09 AM »
was there no category specially for what-ifs? Every show I've been to in USA & Canada in the last 10 years has had a what-if category.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #162 on: October 27, 2017, 08:08:21 AM »
No, mate, they don't.

Only show I know of in Aus that does is Scale Model Expo, in Melbourne, where they have an "Imagineering" category.