Author Topic: Mog Opens a Time Capsule  (Read 2395 times)

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
Mog Opens a Time Capsule
« on: February 09, 2019, 08:48:27 PM »
I’m sure it has happened to most modellers, circumstances change, work, marriage you know the score and the fruits of your spare time go’s into a box and ends up in the loft.

This happened to me in 1979, first into my parent’s loft, then into my own many years later.

Even after all this time I sort of knew which boxes contained what i.e. built or unbuilt, but the details of the contents has become understandably hazy. Also I didn’t want to unpack them all as space is short and I didn’t want to swamp the ‘wall of joy’.

You can imagine my surprise when searching for some bits in the loft I found a small box separate from the other box’s containing six built kits, four of which were wrapped and piled onto what looked like two damaged ones.

Intrigued I went against my previous decision and brought it down for investigation thinking I would have some scrap parts or candidates for the ‘Box of Doom’.

How wrong I was……….

Here’s the first two, these were wrapped and have stood the test of time amazingly well……..

by Robomog, on Flickr

The Walrus is short of a rudder and the Albatross Pfalz (see replies no 4 and 9, my bad!) had one decal lifted which I stuck down with Microsol and that’s it, they are in remarkably good condition. In my perfectionist eye i can see some minor faults but these two are going on the wall as is. Ironically I don’t remember anything about the Albatross Pfalz it is a type and scale I seldom dabble in and don’t even recall building it, but it is one of mine, the clear stretched sprue rigging is a dead giveaway.

The next was also packed and only had a broken nose wheel……….

by Robomog, on Flickr

This goes to show I was a bit of a whiffer even in those days, I converted a Britten Norman Islander into an attack aircraft with bombs, rockets and sideways firing machine guns possibly influenced by the Dakota Gunships. You can imagine my surprise when I saw a film sometime later extolling the virtues of the new Britten Norman Defender with similar armament.

However I cannot for the life of me remember why I chose to display it in Arab colours. As you can see in the photo it’s not perfect, the line between the top and bottom camouflage is distinctly wavy and the doctored decals leave a bit to be desired, however this one is also going onto the wall as is.

The next two were unpacked………….

by Robomog, on Flickr

The Heron was another surprise, I really did not know I had this kit, it was also an annoyance as I could have made it the subject of the zip paint scheme that I eventually put on a Simoun Cauldron. I have always liked the lines of this aircraft and as it is largely intact and long out of production so I am going to try to restore this one.

The Lightning P1 is an original Frog kit and has been badly abused, you can see by way of glue marks where attempts where made to up gun it with weapons pylons and where the undercarriage has been shorn off, given this kits rarity and if I can revive the canopy I’m going to try and restore this one too.

The last one was packed but I think this was just to save some of the parts…….

by Robomog, on Flickr

This model I remember well, it is a 1/48th scale (approx.) scratch build of an early model Lockspeiser LDA-1 experimental aircraft based on a scaled up basic three view from an aviation magazine. I did this for an Air Cadet Model competition and it won the scratch built category.

Unfortunately time has not been kind to this one the plastic card has gone brittle causing one wing to break (it’s propped on a paint bottle in this pic) and the vertical stabilisers to detach.

That said the Bulk of it is still intact so I’m going to attempt to restore this one also but not to real world colours, I don’t think I could reproduce the gold text on the blue, and as you can see from the pic I cheated on my original by using painted clear tape and dry transfers for the cheat line (no Pun intended) which has not survived very well.  I’m thinking of a crop sprayer, postal transport or some sort of RAF colours we shall see

This little box has been quite a revelation and instead of providing spares has generated three more projects, where’s the Revive a Kit Group Build when you need It ?

Hope you enjoyed this little bit of personal history. as always any comments or suggestions welcome

Thanks for looking....

Mog
>^-.-^<

« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 04:13:32 AM by Robomog »
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Mog Opens a Time Capsule
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 10:23:51 PM »
Lucky you! :smiley:

Unfortunately, I have nothing like this, as I disposed of the last of my pre-2009 stash (built & unbuilt), for a number of unpleasant reasons which resulted in my complete loss of interest in models. in about 1991. :icon_crap:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 10:30:14 PM »
That's a mighty fine time capsule, Mog!

I'm amazed how well those biplanes held up, especially all that wonderful rigging! Not a stray wire to be seen there, incredible!

The early E.E. Lightning was a real treat too. I always liked the sleeker look of the early prototypes better than the production model.

Great stuff and it's delightful when hidden gems show up again!

Brian da Basher

Offline Robomog

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 11:18:52 PM »
Lucky you! :smiley:

Unfortunately, I have nothing like this, as I disposed of the last of my pre-2009 stash (built & unbuilt), for a number of unpleasant reasons which resulted in my complete loss of interest in models. in about 1991. :icon_crap:

Truly Sorry to hear that OW, from your excellent posts on this forum it looks like you are making up for lost time  :smiley: :smiley: ;)

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 05:08:19 AM »
Taking another look, I think your Albatross is really a Pfaltz.

One of the early makers (Aurora?) released a 1/48 Pfaltz in the late 1950's or early 1960's.

The Pfaltz is what George Peppard flew in the Blue Max.

Brian da Basher

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 05:09:59 AM »
A treat to see into time capsule.  Expect bi-planes to have wing detachments of some sort.  Both are fine original builds and survivors. 
Builder's/bashers past models are interesting study.  Could set up 20+ years time capsule topic for postings.

Offline Some Duck with an Ultimax

• Now known as "Ducky"
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 05:29:40 AM »
A treat to see into time capsule.  Expect bi-planes to have wing detachments of some sort.  Both are fine original builds and survivors. 
Builder's/bashers past models are interesting study.  Could set up 20+ years time capsule topic for postings.

How about removing the +20 years but and just posting old models we’ve recently re-found, or the first model we built or something like that? I haven’t been alive for ten years, let alone modelling, but I did recently find the first model kit I ever built recently, and it’s about ten years old. And unfortunately, it’s not as nice as any of these stunning re-discovered gems...
Never trust a man who tells you that you have too many paints, for he is obviously a liar and will most likely try to deceive you again in future.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 05:38:54 AM »
Being a "nice" model does not matter.  Not competition for magazine coverage.  Is hobby done for fun. 
Is interest of what one built back when and/or seeing getting started with first builds.

Offline Some Duck with an Ultimax

• Now known as "Ducky"
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 06:03:38 AM »
Well, here’s my ten-year old find. I think you may see what I mean:

EDIT: the images haven’t worked properly, and instead of hijacking this thread Ima go and make a new one with working photos.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 06:05:28 AM by Some Duck with an Ultimax »
Never trust a man who tells you that you have too many paints, for he is obviously a liar and will most likely try to deceive you again in future.

Offline Robomog

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 10:07:33 AM »
Taking another look, I think your Albatross is really a Pfaltz.

One of the early makers (Aurora?) released a 1/48 Pfaltz in the late 1950's or early 1960's.

The Pfaltz is what George Peppard flew in the Blue Max.

Brian da Basher

Bang on Brian!

it's a Pfalz not a  Albertross,  the shape of the tail gives the game away.

Checked on scalemates and it looks like your spot on with the kit, it is an Aurora Canada kit and is a 1972 re-pop of a 1957 mold

Nice spot

Mog
>^-.-^<