Author Topic: Thought-controlled Aircraft  (Read 2131 times)

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
Thought-controlled Aircraft
« on: March 19, 2019, 12:46:22 PM »
There have been, in my estimation, at least a couple of fictional implementations of thought-controlled aircraft with the professed quality of increased responsiveness over the now-conventional fly-by-wire HOTAS.

With me being a fan of the Ace Combat franchise, the first such fictional scheme that comes to my mind is the windowless COFFIN system in Ace Combat 3 although I think the attached Su-37 render is perhaps in need of a panoramic camera array to regain at least some of the situation awareness lost with the lack of a transparent canopy, adding to equipment requirement and complexity.

I'm also aware of the titular superfighter from the film Firefox although the thought-controlled system is limited to fire control.

What is your favourite idea of a thought-controlled aircraft?
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
Re: Thought-controlled Aircraft
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 01:31:36 PM »
A thought controlled, remote controlled UAV...

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 12:44:15 AM »
Michael Williamson's "Freehold" series has aircraft with thought-interfaced "pilot's assistants".  G. Harry Stine had a couple series some years back where there was a direct nuerotronic interface between operator and machine for a variety of war machines and even civil aircraft.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 03:24:31 AM »
I read an article a short while ago where they're testing a thought-control AutoCad interface, the drafter would just plug him/herself into the computer ---  :-\