Author Topic: Armstrong Whitworth AW.681, Whitworth Gloster 681 or Hawker Siddley HS.681  (Read 6392 times)

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
50 Years ago on Feb 2, 1965, the HS.681 was cancelled.

Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
Re: Armstrong Whitworth AW.681, Whitworth Gloster 681 or Hawker Siddley HS.681
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 12:09:40 AM »
That is a very nice looking aeroplane, I could easily imagine it in USMC service supporting Harriers forward deployed off the LHA/Ds and then (reluctantly) being adopted by the USN as a COD type.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 10:45:27 AM »
I've got the 'official' brochure on a CD, some really interesting stuff on it to.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 11:32:18 AM »
I've got the 'official' brochure on a CD, some really interesting stuff on it to.
Love to see that.  Does it perchance have some of the competition?  The BAC 222 could be an interesting subject to do from a stock Hercules (perhaps a developed version incorporating some of Lockheed's experiences with that stol testbed Hercules).

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 12:46:19 AM »
Love to see that.  Does it perchance have some of the competition?  The BAC 222 could be an interesting subject to do from a stock Hercules (perhaps a developed version incorporating some of Lockheed's experiences with that stol testbed Hercules).

PM me a email addy I can use Evan, I've got it down-loaded on my computer and I'll send you it, but it's a big file so I'll break it down into chapters.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
Geoff Baker's AW 681

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
I could imagine that rear ramp arrangement on a HS/BAE 146.  Actually as the 146 has podded engines why not a vectored thrust arrangement for them too, or twin larger engines, same as the AW.681, instead of the four smaller ones.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
Well you could give that a try now that Welsh Models has released their 1/72 BAe 146.  I like that idea though ----   :) :) :)

There's a 146 that operates out of YYC where I work, today I watched it land.  It came in so slowly that had there been a stronger headwind, I'd swear it would've gone backwards ---

And another has appeared in the boneyard at YYC too, saw it there last Wednesday

Offline tsrjoe

• Has been volunteered... for something...
for those with FB. here is an album of 681 Aldershot related material on the 'East of Suez' page ...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.427336080768886&type=1