Author Topic: Canadair CL-66D/CP109 Cormorant  (Read 669 times)

Offline Jonesthetank

• Almost as dumb as I look
Canadair CL-66D/CP109 Cormorant
« on: June 07, 2022, 02:43:59 AM »
Although the RCAF had the CP-107 Argus coming into service, Canadair spotted a gap in the MR/ASW coverage planned by the RCAF.  Inshore operations and fisheries patrol would not need such a large, sophisticated aircraft, so Canadair promoted the idea of a smaller aircraft, based on the CL-66 airframe.

Light ASW weapons could be carried on wing pylons, while an under fuselage radome would permit the carriage of an AN/APS-20 search radar, similar to that carried by the Argus.  Tip tanks could be fitted for additional fuel and a searchlight mount, while a MAD boom could be mounted.

The RCAF were interested enough in the idea to fund the construction of a prototype, which was unveiled in February 1961 and then tested by the RCAF.  Although the idea had merit, the RCAF were not convinced that they needed another MR type and interest began to wane. 

The Canadian government however were keen to keep Canadair in business and invest in Canadian industry.  This led to a revision of the design to meet a requirement for a patrol aircraft for the Canadian Coast Guard.  Weapons carriage was deleted, along with the associated electronics, although the search radar was retained, as were the tip tanks.  The “new” design was ordered by the Canadian Government for the Coast Guard, with 12 aircraft being purchased.  While under production the engines were switched from the troublesome Napier Elands to the Allison turboprops, as was happening to the Cosmopolitans in RCAF service.

Entering CCG service in 1964, the new Cormorant aircraft were deployed along Canada’s east and west coasts, taking over patrol and SAR operations from the small fleet of Dakotas the coast guard then had in service. 

Like the RCAF Cosmopolitans, the Cormorant would have a long service life, with a range of updates along the way, as well as a new paint scheme in the 1980s, to bring the fleet in line with the other ships and aircraft in coast guard service.

Eventually age began to tell and the coast guard began the process of looking for a replacement type, with the final selection falling on a mix of DHC Dash-7s and Dash-8s.  Handover to the new types began in 1990, with the process completing in 1992.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Canadair CL-66D/CP109 Cormorant
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 02:48:31 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: Canadair CL-66D/CP109 Cormorant
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 09:34:36 AM »
Good stuff! I'm currently working on some Convair MPAs as well  :D

I did something similar-looking to your CP109 in the NorPat section of my CC-188 Polaris Strategic Transport Aircraft story.
-- https://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=10044.msg191066#msg191066

I called my trainer/mini-MPA the CP-109T Cosmos ... but very much prefer your more nautical Cormorant name!
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz