Author Topic: Racing GB - Completed projects  (Read 6358 times)

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
Racing GB - Completed projects
« on: May 30, 2017, 01:39:10 AM »
Post your completed work here, please limit to three images and post a link to your build thread.
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
Re: Racing GB - Completed projects
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 02:51:59 PM »
As I may have no access to Internet in a near future, I post here in advance my part.

Here are some of the Super-Lightning/Super-Mustang racers posted at
http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=7245.0

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 04:50:57 PM »
All my racers for this great GB can be seen here : http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=7247.0;all

Alex

Offline andonio64

• Fio Piccolo's understudy
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 11:48:39 PM »
Tricyclone
see WIP and more photos here http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=7342

Offline Timcat

• Not obsessed with creating perfect miniatures...
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 08:00:19 AM »
My entry is the Shinden racer.  I started it on June 16, 2017 and finished it on July 6. I made a few modifications the 1/48 scale Hasegawa kit.  The fit and detail of the kit is very good.
Modifications:
1. I filled gun ports with putty.
2. I modeled it with the landing gear retracted.  This was not a kit option so I had to modify the outboard doors and add some braces.
3. I Painted it RUST-OLEUM satin magenta.  The black areas are ebony RUB-N-BUFF.  I highlighted detail with a black wash.
4. The decals are from a 1/48 scale JU-87.
5. I installed a pilot from a Lindburg JU-87.

I have great difficulty with painting canopy frames, so I tried a new method of my own devising.  I covered some paper stickers with black ink.  Then I cut them very thin and glued them to the canopy with "extreme power medium advanced performance instant adhesive.  The glue smeared and some of the frames are too thick. Otherwise, I am pleased with finished kit.  Here are 2 pictures of the finished kit and 1 extremely rare picture from the 1946 International Air Race.

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 08:08:30 PM »
Tracked Land Speed Record:

In 2010, the Russian Army introduced the ‘Tank Biathlon’ series of Military Games in which, similar to the winter sport of biathlon, tank crews compete to demonstrate their rough terrain driving skills combined with the ability to provide accurate and rapid fire while performing manoeuvres.  These games proved to be a great success and increasingly took on an international flavour as more countries sent their crews and MBTs to participate.

Of course ownership of armoured vehicles is not the sole domain of the world’s militaries and it didn’t take long for the private sector to show an interest in what the Russians were doing.  Having said that, for very good reasons there are laws in most civilised counties preventing civilians from owning large calibre artillery pieces and/or the ammunition for said artillery pieces and, consequently, any civilian take on the tank biathlons would have to have a somewhat different flavour.

So it was that the sport of tank racing was born.  The early days, saw a series of meets where gentlemen with more money than was probably good for them came together with their ex-military service vehicle to compete in a variety of cross-country time trials where they could show off their prowess in command of their respective armoured toys.

It didn’t take long for the media to take an interest and for sponsors to realise that there was money to be made from this new and novel sport.  As the public interest and financial rewards of the new sport spiralled, the imperative to quickly tie down an effective set of rules and regulations quickly resulted in two very distinct avenues of development:  Tank Rallying and Tank Drag Racing.  In order to maintain an element of competition, a number of sub categories were introduced to both racing styles specifying, amongst a myriad of technical minutia, all up weight and engine type.

With the desire to increase the performance of their armoured steeds, it wasn’t long before teams starting making alterations to their vehicles in order to improve performance/handling/speed whilst staying inside the constraints of the sport’s regulations.  Generally, the first thing to go was the redundant main gun which, if not welded or clamped in place, only served to put unwanted sheer-pressures onto the turret.  Not entirely surprisingly, the entire turret was next to go as teams endeavoured to reduce the weight category of their vehicle whilst keeping the original power train.

These and a number of more subtle developments led to some very sleek and surprisingly fast armoured vehicles.  However, it was the appearance of Team Claymore’s cut down Challenger 1 in 2017 that entirely revolutionised the sport.  What they had done was to take a standard Challenger 1, remove its turret and then remove the portion of the hull that the turret sat on.  This process also reduced its number of road wheels per side from 6 to 4.  The end result was a reduction in the vehicle’s original 62 tonne to 30 tonnes.  At the same time, the vehicle’s 26 litre, 1,200hp, Perkins CV-12 Condor engine was upgraded and race tuned to output 1,500hp.  In other words, the vehicle’s power to weight ratio was boosted from 19.4 hp/tonne to 50 hp/tonne.

When entered into the 30-tonne class of both the Rally and Drag Races, Team Claymore’s vehicles (01 and 02) were the run-away winners and set a new tank land-speed record of 80.2 mph (128.3 Km/h).

The model depicts Team Claymore’s vehicle ‘02’ which won the European Tank Rally Championship in record time and then which went on to set a new World Tracked Speed Record in its class.  It is made from parts from two different Tamiya Challenger 1 models, some pieces from a Takom Chieftain Mk 11, plastic card and a selection of home grown decals.

As promised, the German (Team Warsteiner) counterpart to Team Claymore's cut down Challenger 1.  These high performance machines were to set the standard for all future Formula Tank Class 30 racers...

« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 04:58:16 AM by Claymore »
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Online Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 07:58:48 PM »
Despite some last minute near-disasters, the perfectly ordinary MC 72

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 10:09:21 PM »

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
Formula G - Buzzbomb Team Racer
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 09:26:23 PM »
Team Buzzbomb Grav Racer
Thread
http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=7312.0

Grav racer from the '66 Season of Formula G

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 06:12:31 AM »
Here's a couple of pic of the DH-4 racer.

It's not known if alcohol was involved, but you can See More and Read the Story Here.

Brian da Basher

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 07:16:49 AM »
Cavalier Corsair

It was a participant in the Texaco Tiptank Transcontinental Race of 1949.

IMG_5740 by Carl Wimmi, on Flickr

IMG_5742 by Carl Wimmi, on Flickr

IMG_5743 by Carl Wimmi, on Flickr
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 09:29:44 AM »
Nord Deutschland Luftfahrt NDL-800 Schnell Pferd

IMG_5774 by Carl Wimmi, on Flickr

IMG_5776 by Carl Wimmi, on Flickr

IMG_5778 by Carl Wimmi, on Flickr
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Artoor_K

• On the run from Polish Rivet Counters...
  • Use the power of your dreams!
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 07:12:58 AM »
Ta-154 Moskito "Reno Racer"

DSCN3198 by Arti Kapi, on Flickr

DSCN3193 by Arti Kapi, on Flickr

DSCN3191 by Arti Kapi, on Flickr

http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=7365.0
Sickening, weakening
Don't let another somber pariah consume your soul
You need strengthening, toughening
It takes a bit of dark to rekindle the fire burning in you
Ignite the fire within you

Offline TimJ

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 04:02:32 PM »
Jaguar XKR GT3 'Jägermeister '

Build thread here: http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=7386.0
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 03:12:51 AM by TimJ »

Offline Antonio Sobral

• Building and painting tiny little things!
  • Greetings from Portugal
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 06:54:45 PM »
Kubus Hovercraft Jet Racer

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 06:13:07 AM »
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."