Author Topic: 1/35 flying platform  (Read 2628 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
1/35 flying platform
« on: June 09, 2022, 08:44:06 AM »
I was reading about flying platforms, and decided I wanted to model and print one in 3D. The Williams X-Jet seemed fairly easy to model. I decided that a larger, modern version with better engines would be feasible, so I drew up a design in Rhino:

I had other projects to work on and this one languished for a while. I printed it today and was surprised that it came out OK. I printed two copies and other than the exhaust grate breaking off and other minor issues, it's almost buildable as is.

Here are the parts after washing and curing. I'm using Siraya Simple, which is - on paper - a pretty easy to use resin since it can be washed with some alcohol and water. My wash and cure machine tank is full of denatured alcohol, so I had to clean this one by hand:

Some of the supports are too thick, others are in wrong or inconvenient spots, but overall, not bad.

Here are the parts tacked together:

I knocked the two joysticks off because I thought they were part of the supports.

With Pierre modeling for a size reference:

I think I'll simplify the design a bit and adjust the supports when slicing for printing. I may glue everything together to get an idea of what works best.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: 1/35 flying platform
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2022, 10:57:46 AM »
That looks really nice considering what an obscure subject it is in real life.  You have really done an outstanding job on the details. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 08:40:13 PM »
Pretty darn cool!

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 12:15:43 AM »
Thanks, guys. I've simplified the design a bit and I'll print it out this week.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2022, 03:15:39 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Nice Work So Far...
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2022, 08:49:07 AM »
1964 Johnny Quest episode openers featured this Flying "Vienna Sausage Can" Platform, 58 years on things still impress me no end:

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
Re: Nice Work So Far...
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2022, 09:48:16 AM »
1964 Johnny Quest episode openers featured this Flying "Vienna Sausage Can" Platform, 58 years on things still impress me no end:

That was the inspiration!

Also,
 this:

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2022, 06:26:11 AM »
Neat !  Now make it taller so the pilot is fully enclosed (all weather model).

& try this -->--v (preferably in 1/20th scale for the MaK guys).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 06:28:47 AM by raafif »

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
Re: Nice Work So Far...
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2022, 04:10:32 AM »

Also,
 this:

It was a source of unending frustration for me as a kid that neither of these craft actually appear in any of the episodes, at least as far as I can recall. The Platform looks terrific, Frank - I think you ought to do a second. A pair flying in formation would be pretty nifty.

"Flying Vienna Sausage Cans" Did...
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2022, 08:44:25 AM »

Also,
 this:

It was a source of unending frustration for me as a kid that neither of these craft actually appear in any of the episodes, at least as far as I can recall. The Platform looks terrific, Frank - I think you ought to do a second. A pair flying in formation would be pretty nifty.

First Appearance 17:32; note two-tone purple uniforms, TV intros red-orange, likely post-production promotional animation given mood-elaborate back & foreground artistry, outstanding for the day. I don't remember any other "JQ" episode opener, should check fansites whether there were.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 08:58:24 AM by Retired In Kalifornia II »

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2022, 11:02:20 AM »
Got curious.
Went looking.
Found Soviet version.
https://metalgear.fandom.com/wiki/Flying_platform

See also "Legendary Mexican Witches" Urban Legend Profiles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1260VMl5mM
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 11:05:41 AM by Story »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2022, 11:22:18 AM »
I printed version 2 and picked the best of the two to proceed. I painted it "Equipment Yellow" with Mission Models acrylic paint. Worked great... until it clogged my airbrush. I paint almost exclusively with acrylics and this paint was almost as annoying as Testor's Acryl.

It's about half way finished. This is the front view, with the bucket resting on the skids. The engines aren't glued in, so there's a gap around the intakes:

Side view:

Top view:

Instrument panel  as it dries. The panel is 10 mm wide. I copied and pasted the joystick design from an M151 style control station I'm designing for another project. The displays are supposed to be LCDs displaying status dials. All five switches at the lower right printed, which is amazing to me:

Here it is next to an unpainted copy (still on its supports):

Craig - I know the frustration about the JQ flying platforms! Especially the pancake version. Retired In Kalifornia - thanks for the link to the Vienna Sausage Can flyer; I hadn't seen that episode!

Story - the Metal Gear flying platforms sound like a big version of a Jetex engine. You could probably hear them coming from the next state over.

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2022, 11:28:34 PM »
Retired in Kalifornia, my thanks as well. This must be one of the more obscure episodes-I have no memory of the title at all.

Good old Zin! (Granted, his plans might have succeeded a little more often if I hadn't made a point of anonymously tipping Quest off
on a regular basis. Defaulting on your student loans might be evil, but the collections department of the University of the Southern Arctic
remains implacable to this day. ( Xin Haoyu - class of 1931, doctorates in electrical engineering, chemistry, and finance) Besides, he stole one
of my favorite paperweights.

(Sculpture of the Elder God Tsathoggua by Clark Ashton Smith.)

You're Welcome
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2022, 11:57:38 PM »
Retired in Kalifornia, my thanks as well. This must be one of the more obscure episodes-I have no memory of the title at all.
Saw all 1964-5 run episodes, only remember fragments of them, "Shadow of the Condor" D.VII vs SPAD air combat episode especially given realistic renderings of these airplanes. Also noteworthy are auto animations particularly contemporary model year ones, should check fansites whether Hanna-Barbara got paid sponsorships from them to include in series episodes.

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2022, 01:59:02 AM »
Cool project! Your yellow paint came out great.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2022, 08:22:59 AM »
The first one is finished. Inspired by Ramba's post of the Ukrainian flag decals in his thread, I repainted the upper part in light blue.

I changed the instrument panel on this one to the original design and added a screen. Don't want to eat bugs when flying at high speed:

I also added navigation lights. The date 2205 was supposed to be 2206 - the year and month when I finished the model. Close enough:

And with the French dude who could not care less (I really should finish painting him):

The second copy is currently in dark metallic colors.

Nice...
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2022, 08:55:42 AM »
A "flight of fancy" of mine for years after moving to El Dorado County CA February 1990 was buzzing over Sierra Nevada foothills on a flying platform somewhat akin to yours taking aerodynamic wind turbulence in account unlike Star Wars et. al. scifi movies featuring open air antigrav speeders zipping along at > 100mph/161kmh speeds never mind > 200/322-plus Episode I pod racers air-blasting pilots off seat cushions regardless how well they're strapped in. Manned open-air platforms functionally are low-speed aerial transportation ideally suited for human paramedical search & rescue operations immediately following UAV recces, easily can envision electric battery powered units effectuating cliff-side & in-water rescues sans direct over party helicopter down wash, units large enough allowing rescued parties directly gurnied on for immediate medical treatment - consider that as your next flying platform build!

I don't have time to graphically sketch such systems but envision a flying platform with open-in-center "rescue hole" hoisting or hand-pulling out parties out of water, injured cases placed directly on gurnies. The ducted power fans would have to be up high as possible on platform sides & ends to minimize down wash, small enough to allow for hovering over small water spaces minimizing air blasts on other parties being rescued.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 09:07:52 AM by Retired In Kalifornia II »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2022, 09:06:05 AM »
I was looking at this design and I could have added one or two stretchers (a la M*A*S*H  H-13 Bell) to the sides or rear.

See My Post Above...
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2022, 09:09:50 AM »
I was looking at this design and I could have added one or two stretchers (a la M*A*S*H  H-13 Bell) to the sides or rear.
...Getting there on flying rescue platform concepts ;)

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2022, 07:44:41 PM »
Glad that I could inspire you. The new paint looks great. A couple of stretchers would be nice. Gotta make sure it has a balanced load though.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2022, 02:36:35 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Hiller VZ-1 Pawnee
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2022, 08:23:15 AM »

Flying Platform discussions everywhere must acknowledge the 1955 Hiller VZ-1 Pawnee powered by three 1953-model 40hp Nelson Aircraft H-59 four cylinder air cooled gas engines. arguably the most potentially practical post-WWII single-pilot design decades before integrated circuit microchip control electronics & relatively low weight lithium ion batteries. The very same platform residing in the Hiller Aircraft Museum above right easily could be refitted with contemporary electric propulsion, power & control systems offering far superior flight performance never mind genuine load carrying capacity perhaps up to the pilot's gross weight. Even if just a replica was fabricated demonstrating the possibility would love seeing it flying, did see The Real McCoy in 2003 BTW.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 08:43:52 AM by Retired In Kalifornia II »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2022, 01:07:03 AM »
A modern version of the VZ-1 would definitely need a FOD screen on top, if anything to protect some idiot from sticking his finger (or hand) to see if the blades are moving. Or from someone trying to check Facebook at 200 feet and dropping their phone through the blades.

I did have a version with counter-rotating blades, based on the final blade design for my Piasecki AV-8R AirJeep. I realize that the blades are probably too narrow:

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2022, 01:15:44 AM »
Oh my!!!  That needs to be printed!  I do like your twin C/R propeller arrangement.  Perhaps some kind of shroud over the propellers at the rear of the vehicle for ingress/egress from the flight station?  Add similar feature on either side for more structural support and see how it turns out? 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Additional Thoughts...
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2022, 02:23:50 AM »
Not an aerodynamics PhD but methinks the VZ-1's curved platform top edging functions as a venturi presumably pulling in lateral air perhaps adding flight stability. I'd go with tricoptor layout within the circular ring or quadcopter within square or rectangular box though latter's venturi action wouldn't be as good methinks. Yea, I'd guess FOD shielding be called for but would flight drag & extra weight be warranted if horizontally flying considerably less than 50mph/81kmh most of the time? Weight distribution's gonna be important particularly for horizontal flight, drag more so with strong headwinds overcoming ducted fans ability to compensate even with computer controlling, still I'd not fly the thing in rainy weather FOD shield or no!