Author Topic: A9 Cruiser Self Propelled AA vehicle  (Read 2492 times)

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
A9 Cruiser Self Propelled AA vehicle
« on: September 11, 2021, 03:40:14 PM »
As a back story, the A9 Cruiser tank, the first of the line in that role was effectively retired from front line duty in the Western Desert in 1941. These tanks were gathered up in a Cairo base compound. The A9 as a tank, was outclassed and obsolete, but the chassis and running gear were in sound condition and it was also quite a fast tank, topping out at 25mph. Vickers in the UK was developing Valentine using, basically the same running gear.
 When the Panzerarmee Afrika was sending the British forces backward, the role that their air power was having was not lost on some forward thinking Officers so a couple of REME engineering officers thought about a mobile, armoured Anti Aircraft platform, using the well tried and tested 40mm Bofors anti-aircraft gun. A low number of the best A9 chassis were modified with a rudimentary, lightly armoured turret mount and the Bofors wedged in. It was ridiculously cramped and difficult to operate, but it did work. These modified vehicles were sent forward to front line, where they performed adequately, always hampered by the cramped conditions, but only for a very short time as the RAF Desert Airforce got up to numbers and soon had air superiority. As these tanks broke down or became again redundant, they were sent back to the base compound, where eventually they were broken up. Very few photographs were taken of these and remarkably little documentation. Imagine the surprise in 1944 when the REME officers, then back in the UK saw the "new development 40mm Bofors AA tank" based on the Crusader Chassis

This all started with Apophenia's Profile work on the Christie Cruisers.

I had a Cromwell Models/Under the Armour 1/35 Resin A9 Cruiser, well predating all the new injection releases (of course) However the kit was pretty below average, several poorly cast parts, not the correct number of each running gear, resin that stubbornly refused to glue... it goes on. It ultimately got tossed in a box at the back of the cupboard in disgust.  The profile work got me inspired.

The main event of course was the Bofors. No way I was springing for a new Bofors for this. I do already have a built Bronco 1/35 Bofors. The kit has lots of unused parts from the other Bofors in their range and I was able to gather enough as a basis to start.
I got out the built Bofors as a guide to replicate in a rough enough fashion

Test fit on the chassis after that got a bit of rebuild work.. the tracks are bloody horrible

So after a full arvo session this is where we are at the moment

« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 03:43:14 PM by Buzzbomb »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: A9 Cruiser Self Propelled AA vehicle
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 03:49:55 PM »
The idea looks 8)

The tank looks :))

The tracks look :o

Keep it comin', BT! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 09:57:39 PM »
Niiiiiice!  8)
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2021, 01:50:00 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2021, 07:57:59 AM »
Oh, this has all kinds of awesomeness! Excellent bit of recycling - both in your basckstory concept and RW modelling  :D

Loving the scratchwork on the Bofors and its turret. And those blanked-off machine turret holes are perfect.

Watching with great interest  :smiley: :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 12:55:45 AM »
The idea looks 8)

The tank looks :))

The tracks look :o

Keep it comin', BT! :smiley:

We really need an annual "Best Post EVER" award...

I love Flak tanks for some reason, though I don't have much to show off at the moment. This is pretty neat!

I can relate to the track work issues. I am currently working on completing the 'Lobsterrod', a preposterous vehicle of villainous super science,
and have been using a set of tracks & suspension for a Sherman HVVS...the links are supposed to snap together (I don't recall the manufacturer-got them cheap from the consignment shelf) and...they don't.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 01:56:29 PM »
Almost time to call it on the build phase. Nothing is going to make the base A9 Cruiser kit running gear any better

Fleshed out more of the fighting compartment and mods to the tank
Overall look. Finally found a use for the ROTA Trailer I bought many, many years ago, much before the AFV club offering

Fighting Compartment. Ammo Racks on the wall

Replace the MG Turrets with hatches. I figure that other than being quite useless in this role, it would open space for more interior ammo storage

The Bofors mods to sort of make it look like a Bofors. For what it is worth.. the Italeri Bofors ain't that great either and the etch sights much better than that offering.

Painting next. Another mojo hurdle to clear
Thanks for the encouragement so far

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 10:41:59 PM »
You really hate the crews on these things, don't you, BT! ;D

Not only crap tracks but a bloody ROTO trailer, to boot! :o
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline apophenia

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2021, 02:54:47 AM »
Almost time to call it on the build phase. Nothing is going to make the base A9 Cruiser kit running gear any better...

Replace the MG Turrets with hatches. I figure that other than being quite useless in this role, it would open space for more interior ammo storage...

Painting next. Another mojo hurdle to clear...

This is looking great! Your work on the Bofors gun itself is a major improvement  :smiley:

Overall, your Cruiser SP just looks more workable that the RW Crusader Bofors type.

Good call on turning the MG turret spaces into ammunition lockers. Maybe not all that accessible in action but protected from splinters, etc., unlike ready rounds.

Looking forward to the paintwork  :smiley:

Not only crap tracks but a bloody ROTO trailer, to boot! :o

Seems like a natural match to me. The Crusader and Valentines towed Rota-trailers. So, why not an A9 SP?

The RW Rota-trailer was sized for 2-pounder rounds - so we know that 40 mm Bofors clips would fit. Carrying fuel around in over-sized wheels seems a little funky to us ... but at least both petrol and limbered ammunition are well away from the SP crew.

So, ... what am I missing?  ???
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2021, 03:06:00 PM »
See this link at the 16 minute mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJni42kJIEg ;)

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 06:50:02 AM »
Good link Womby, very interesting content, aside from the ROTO trailer bit.

This build is at the "that'll do pig" time
Bit of fun and finally found a use for a long term resident of the Shelf O Doom

A few shots to finish out.

Aside from the tracks, under paint the actual hull is quite nice and I am sure with due care and attention the kit would have turned out ok.
Ready Ammo is a mix of Bronco and AFV club versions, the AFV club stuff has excellent fidelity. The ammo box, also from AFV Club Bofors Ammo Set.
Spare Barrel box is from the Bronco Bofors Kit
Thanks for looking :D
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 02:30:19 PM by Buzzbomb »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2021, 11:34:34 AM »
That came out great! Excellent weathering and all the fine details - like the headphones - really add to the visual interest.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2021, 04:59:35 PM »
Excellent job, BT! 8)

Even with the Evil Roto Trailer encumbrance. ;)

Colours & weathering are top-notch! :smiley:

Don't know if you watched them all (there are about 12 YT videos, all up) but it's an excellent presentation from some exceptionally knowledgeable people.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2021, 10:53:04 AM »
That came out great! Excellent weathering and all the fine details - like the headphones - really add to the visual interest.

That's for sure! I love the sun-faded and worn paintwork on the hull in contrast to the almost pristine finish on the new turret  :smiley:

The hinged platforms at the rear of the turret were obvious before. But, with the figures in place, those slatted sections really make sense as vital extensions of the 'workspace'. Nice!

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2021, 09:19:52 PM »
Amazing work, as always.  What a concept!   :smiley:
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2021, 10:09:37 PM »
Looks great!  :smiley:

Plus any opportunity to incorporate a Rota-Trailer into the project is a win! 

The Rota-Trailer Awareness and Appreciation Society approves!
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg