Author Topic: LOST DOG!  (Read 1045 times)

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
LOST DOG!
« on: December 09, 2022, 08:28:39 AM »
1 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

The door of the office flew open, and the wind it generated brought a very brief respite from the Cuban heat. "Vasily, we have a problem. Operation Anadyr has been called off, we must return everything to Russia." Major General Volkov clenched his jaw and stared off into nowhere. After what seemed an eternity, he allowed a smile to appear, and asked "How many aircraft have been assembled and ready for flight?" "Only one, engine tests have been run, pilot training was to start tomorrow." "Then, Pyotr, I suggest we simply go now. What more can we do? We have been planning this for months, our new lives begin today!"

2 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

In the White House, an aide approached the President nervously. "Mr President, we have been monitoring the ships leaving Cuba, all missiles are accounted for, but, um, there seems to be one aircraft missing." President Kennedy gave an amused smile, "An Ilyushin 28? What is it we named it, Beagle?" "Yes Sir, a medium range bomber, it could easily strike..." No worries, Fred," the president replied, "All aircraft are accounted for." "Sir?" "Yes, all accounted for, don't worry."

3 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

4 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

It was another 44 years before the aide, now an old man, found out the answer to the mystery. Two Russian pilots, determined to escape to the west, had flown the missing aircraft to America, where it was taken over by the U.S. Air Force, It was one of the first foreign aircraft to be evaluated by American pilots, and provided much information about Russian construction methods, engine and airframe developments, and control systems. Russia refused to admit that such an incident had occurred, but more than a few personnel lost jobs. A few days after the aircraft had been sent to the Tonopah Test Range, a Martin B-57 Canberra, a comparable but much more capable aircraft than the Beagle, streaked across Cuba at low altitude, and dropped some leaflets. Although unauthorised, the pilots were not disciplined, but were warned not to poke the bear again.

5 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

Beagle by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

The Kit

The old Airfix kit, which I picked up at a local shop for a decent price. Definitely showing its age, and some warping was a problem. Worse, it was in the fiddly areas around the nose and tail, meaning lots of gluing, clamping, regluing, more clamping, swearing, drinking, and such. Still experimenting with the AK Silver Paste, don't use this stuff if you value clean fingers. It rubs off easily, but the flat black Tamiya I brushed on first seems to have held it fairly well. Decals are from an Airfix P-80, and went on easily. All canopy and other clear framing was done with a Molotow Chrome pen, could be better but I wanted to get this done.
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Re: LOST DOG!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 08:53:42 AM »
Hey, I like it.   :smiley:  Old Airfix kits deserve to get built same as new kits do.
Lots of gluing, clamping, regluing, more clamping, swearing, drinking, and such are part of the model building adventure.   Been there done that.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2022, 11:05:30 AM »
The old Airfix came out great! I like the aged metal finish. You can also try Rub N' Buff, which is a waxy paint that - not surprisingly - you rub onto a surface, wait a few minutes for it to dry, then buff it out to the required sheen. Comes in a few metallic colors. Once set, it doesn't rub off. If you need to remove it (from fingers or the model) you can use alcohol.

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 12:07:44 PM »
The old Airfix came out great! I like the aged metal finish. You can also try Rub N' Buff, which is a waxy paint that - not surprisingly - you rub onto a surface, wait a few minutes for it to dry, then buff it out to the required sheen. Comes in a few metallic colors. Once set, it doesn't rub off. If you need to remove it (from fingers or the model) you can use alcohol.

First bought Rub n' Buff about 50 years ago, but it's no longer available in Canada. Last model I used it on was a MiG-17, and couldn't squeeze anything more out of the tube. http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal15/14101-14200/gal14176-kite-Bailey/00.shtm
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2022, 01:07:58 PM »
Amazon.ca carries it although it ships from the US. I could get some extra life out of the dried out tubes with some denatured alcohol. I like the "The Crimson Kite"

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2022, 03:03:32 AM »
Stars 'n' Bars look just right on the Beagle.  :smiley:
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2022, 05:20:39 AM »
That works.

very nice

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2022, 08:35:10 PM »
 :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline killnoizer

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
    • SPACEJUNKS com
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2022, 11:43:39 PM »
Very nice plane !!  I think i have seen one in real @ Berlin Gatow , Museum of the Luftwaffe .