Current and Finished Projects > Land

1/35 Wheeled M113 DONE

(1/15) > >>

Frank3k:
This project has been rattling in my skull for a few years, like a BB in a tin can. Jeff has been kind enough to send me a LAV-25 (which should arrive mid-week), so I thought I'd get the plan rolling before then, because this feels like a long term project.

For the M113, I'm not lacking in parts - I have a hull and some parts Bill sent me, plus I have an old Tamiya M113 in addition to many other M113 kits.

I found some 3-views of the M113 and Lav-25, scaled them to match, then did a quick transplant. The good news is that all 6 wheels fit. The bad news is that this is going to be one ugly vehicle:

Time to start collecting parts!

apophenia:
Frank: A couple of very rough ideas.

1: Leave the M113 hull as is and shorten the LAV hull by eliminating the front pair of wheels. The outcome would be AVGP-like but with a smaller gap between steering and non-steering wheel sets.

Or, since you mention having a few M113 kits ...

2: Extend the M113 hull to MTVL length (ie: long enough to insert another set of M113 roadwheels). That would allow to better fit the full-length LAV-25 lower hull and suspension.

Buzzbomb:
Yes a bit ugly.
I suppose the Alvis Stalwart profile looks pretty much the same though with its 6 Wheels

Frank3k:

--- Quote from: apophenia on August 23, 2021, 10:53:24 AM ---2: Extend the M113 hull to MTVL length (ie: long enough to insert another set of M113 roadwheels). That would allow to better fit the full-length LAV-25 lower hull and suspension.

--- End quote ---

I think this looks better. I'll cut a hull and print an ABS extension (last time I cut an M113 hull, it took straight sprue sections and a couple of layers of styrene sheet to connect the sections).

Brian - I like the Stalwart. My original drawing reminded me of the squished JGSDF Type 87 Recon vehicle.

apophenia:
I like the look of the Stalwart too. If you had two LAV-25 kits, you could go skid-steer  :smiley:

--- Quote from: Frank3k on August 24, 2021, 12:28:18 AM ---... (last time I cut an M113 hull, it took straight sprue sections and a couple of layers of styrene sheet to connect the sections).

--- End quote ---

If only the RW MTVL hull extensions had gone so smoothly  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version